Plastic plug hot water tank stripped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In most water heaters, the female threads are aluminum.  If those threads are not stripped, you should not need any kind of tape.  If the plastic plug threads are stripped, just get a new plug.

Molaker said:
In most water heaters, the female threads are aluminum.  If those threads are not stripped, you should not need any kind of tape.  If the plastic plug threads are stripped, just get a new plug.

Agree. The plastic plugs threads will form to the aluminum threads for a good seal. Do not over tighten it.

The plug was stripped so hubby thru away... yea ? it was plastic, took a 11/16 socket to open... what size so I buy?

Ok, thanks what to do if by pass was not on... now anti freeze got in hot water tank... ugh... now what

tanglemoose said:
Ok, thanks what to do if by pass was not on... now anti freeze got in hot water tank... ugh... now what

Just flush it out the best you can. Leave the drain plug out and pressurize the system with shore power. Run the water until it comes out clear from the tank drain.  You could also remove the pressure relief valve which is at the upper right corner of the heater and run fresh water through that tank fitting.  It won't kill you unless maybe you drank it straight.

If your tank (Atwood) has a plastic plug you should replace it with a plastic plug.  Putting a brass plug in will create a perfect environment for electrolysis.  OK for an emergency but don't leave it in there for very long.

Plastic plugs are cheap.  Carry a spare.

tanglemoose said:

Not a big deal, just flush out the water heater. Something you should be doing occasionally anyway to remove sediment. You'll need to flush it out after sanitizing the fresh water system as well.

The only reason to bypass the water heater is preventing wasting six gallons of antifreeze when you can just pull the drain plug instead.

The plastic plug is actually nylon and available from many sources, often hardware stores as well as RV stores and websites. Here are a few:

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91857-Drain-Plug-Pack/dp/B0007XVWW0

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/1-2-plastic-drain-plug-kit-for-atwood-water-heaters-set-of-2-/15251

Atwood uses a standard 1/2 inch pipe thread. Any RV store will have replacement Plastic plugs. I do recommend you stick with plastic even if I did not.. (I may do a form of go-back) for many reasons, Buy 2 or 3 plugs, they are cheep.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom