Water heater pressure valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
I've got a Suburban SW10D water heater. The pressure valve won't seal. I found some of the gasket from inside the valve laying on the bottom of the compartment.

Now my problem. How do you get the valve out. I can't find a way to get a wrench on it. Is there a special tool? I can get an open end wrench on the flats of the valve but it is at such an angle that I can't get any leverage on the wrench to turn it.

Any suggestions?

Don,

Do you have room to use a basin wrench? I just tried my basin wrench on a spare pressure relief valve I have in the garage and it looks like it would work if you have room in front of the valve for the long wrench handle. Here's one at Lowes, but they're available at any hardware store. (Rotate the jaws through 90 degrees from the photo to grab the valve and turn the T-handle to unscrew it).

Thanks Tom,

I hadn't thought of a basin wrench. I've got lots of room straight out from the valve. I've got three of them at home. We're on the road so I see if our friend has one.

Let us know if it works Don. That was about as creative as I could get this morning  ;D

Don,

Tell me where they are and I'll have Larry or Vicki fetch it and we'll bring with us.  If you can wait until Sunday.

Ned said:
Don,

Tell me where they are and I'll have Larry or Vicki fetch it and we'll bring with us.  If you can wait until Sunday.

They should be in the top of my gray tool box that is setting on the work bench in the shop. Judy is checked with a friend of hers and he thought he had one. When she talked to him he was driving back from Raton, NM so we'll find out later this afternoon if he has one. They do have a new valve at the local Ace Hardware here.

Looking in the Suburban owners manual there is a dealer in South Fork, CO. which we'll be going through on the way to CdC. I'll call them tomorrow if I can't get a wrench and see if they can fix it on out way through.

Thanks for everyone's help. Will keep you posted.

Let me know if you need the wrench and I'll get it when Vicki comes out next.

Make sure you get the right valve, the ones I found in the hardware stores are residential with 3/4" or 5/8" threads (can't remember which), the hot water heater in the RV is 1/2".  Had to get it from an RV supply place.

Ned's right on the different size threads. That's why I have a "spare" in my garage - first bought a domestic one, then had to go an RV store  ;D

Thanks for the heads up on the thread size.

The one in the MH has a 3/4" outlet but I'm not sure of the inlet size. If I get it out I'll know before I buy another one.

It was the inlet size that was different from the residential valves.  That makes the RV version cost 3 times as much :(

Meanwhile, enjoy the cold showers :)

The residential TPR valve was about $7 while the RV version was $22.  That's not just a few $ more :)

I paid roughly $13 for the RV one vs $9 for the residential one. That's $4 difference. You must shop at the expensive stores  :eek:

Follow up.

Was at Canon City, CO. yesterday and stopped at TDL Trailers and Service. They are a Suburban dealer. They had the valve for $9.95, four cents cheaper than in the local Ace Hardware. It is a 3/4" valve. They said as far as they knew all Suburban water heaters were 3/4". Some of the other manufactures used 1/2" and they stocked both for the same price.

Thanks for everyones help. We no longer have a leak.

Wish you had called, I would have had you get a 1/2" valve for me just to have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom