EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Eternabond Cleaner  (Read 328 times)

butchiiii

• ---
  • A day RVing is better than a Great day at work!
Eternabond Cleaner
« on: May 19, 2017, 02:05:44 am »
Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to seal all of my roof seams with the eternabond tape as a
preventative action. Question the spray cleaner they recommend looks like it
is mostly acetone. Is there some reason not to buy acetone and use it as a
cleaner/prep? Any feedback is always welcome. Thank you all for you help in
advance.
Thanks
Butch
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
Keystone Passport 2890RL

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: Eternabond Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:34:56 am »
I used denatured alcohol when I prepped my old trailer for Eternabond tape, it worked well. If it is hot and sunny when you are putting it on, you may have problems with the adhesive pulling away with the backing. To prevent that from happening, put the tape in your freezer for 45 minutes to an hour, or put in in the fridge overnight before you start sealing. It is a lot more forgiving to work with that way. I also kept the tape in a small cooler with a freeze pack when I wasn't actually pulling it off the roll and cutting it.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 07:09:23 am »
Any cleaner/solvent will work, depending on what surface crud you are trying to remove.  Acetone [and related chemicals like MEK & lacquer thinner] is a strong solvent and possibly overkill for most cleaning needs, but you can buy it at any hardware store. Acetone is somewhat risky to use on EPDM rubber roofs because it easily penetrates the EPDM and loosens the adhesive underneath.  Use it sparingly!  I suggest mineral spirits if being used on EPDM, and not a lot of that either. It doesn't penetrate as much, but it doesn't  evaporate quickly either.  Or plain old soap & water if the surface is not too grungy with old  caulk or whatever.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summer: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 09:31:48 am »
I used denatured alcohol when I prepped my old trailer for Eternabond tape, it worked well. If it is hot and sunny when you are putting it on, you may have problems with the adhesive pulling away with the backing. To prevent that from happening, put the tape in your freezer for 45 minutes to an hour, or put in in the fridge overnight before you start sealing. It is a lot more forgiving to work with that way. I also kept the tape in a small cooler with a freeze pack when I wasn't actually pulling it off the roll and cutting it.

Thanks kdgoat. Good tip, I will use the denatured alcohol for the prep. And keep the tape cool.
Butch
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
Keystone Passport 2890RL

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 09:38:33 am »
Any cleaner/solvent will work, depending on what surface crud you are trying to remove.  Acetone [and related chemicals like MEK & lacquer thinner] is a strong solvent and possibly overkill for most cleaning needs, but you can buy it at any hardware store. Acetone is somewhat risky to use on EPDM rubber roofs because it easily penetrates the EPDM and loosens the adhesive underneath.  Use it sparingly!  I suggest mineral spirits if being used on EPDM, and not a lot of that either. It doesn't penetrate as much, but it doesn't  evaporate quickly either.  Or plain old soap & water if the surface is not too grungy with old  caulk or whatever.

Thanks Gary, I didn't realize that the acetone might mess up the roof. The roof is only 2 years old so it's not very grungy or chalky.
I'm going to use the denatured alcohol like kdgoat suggests.
Butch
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
Keystone Passport 2890RL

mel s

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:46:27 am »
Hi folks,
I'm getting ready to seal all of my roof seams with the eternabond tape as a
preventative action. Question the spray cleaner they recommend looks like it
is mostly acetone. Is there some reason not to buy acetone and use it as a
cleaner/prep? Any feedback is always welcome. Thank you all for you help in
advance.
Thanks

butchiiii
In 2011, (after removing as much of the 15 year old caulking from my cap-to-roof seams as possible), I used acetone as a cleaner before applying Eternabond tape...(no problems in the 6 years since}.

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
butchiiii
In 2011, (after removing as much of the 15 year old caulking from my cap-to-roof seams as possible), I used acetone as a cleaner before applying Eternabond tape...(no problems in the 6 years since}.

Thanks for the info Mel
Butch
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
Keystone Passport 2890RL

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 08:45:39 am »
If it's just dirt and maybe some mold, all you need is a medium bristle brush and a solution of detergent & bleach.

Alcohol dissolves pine pitch and some other gums (lipstick, crayon), plus a few types of adhesives. Citrus cleaners do a few more. Mineral spirits dissolves most oily substances and tree saps. Acetone and other MEK-type solvents dissolves most anything at all, which is both its advantage and its risk.  If you are removing old caulk, acetone may be a necessary risk, but use it sparingly.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summer: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 09:12:07 am »
Okay Gary. It is this weekends project so I will take a look at it and see what I need
to use. It's only 2 years old so I don't think it will be too bad.
Thanks
Butch
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
Keystone Passport 2890RL

Hosted by Over The Network