E450 brakes stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

Ahhhh..  a Pennsylvania winter.  Left her sit for about 5 months with only a handful of times out.  Got her out for the maiden voyage a it felt like the brakes were sticking.  Heat gun on the rotor showed 630 degrees!! 

She's at the mechanics now but does anyone have any tips on how to stop this from reoccurring?

Oddly no sticking when it cooled off but as it heated up they stuck.

Driving it and not letting it sit, particularly on non paved surfaces is the best way to keep braking systems functioning correctly.

Sounds like the caliper plunger(s) are sticking.  You may have to change the calipers or, at least, apply a rebuild kit.  An E450 is a bit heavy to try to do this on your driveway, but still, is doable with the right equipment and tools.  Just take all necessary safety measures.  Otherwise, find a good brake shop and have them repaired there (recommended).

As for how to prevent this from happening, yes, driving it now and then would help.  I'm not sure the parking surface would make difference.  A 10+ year-old vehicle probably is ready for a complete brake job, including caliper rebuild or replace anyway.  The years and miles can collect a lot of dust and grit which can contribute (if not cause) sticking brakes.

Thanks - I imagine this kind of stuff is typical of simply not running it enough or maybe it would have happened either way - my mechanic is great so whatever he says I go with.

I have never changed any fluids other than oil in any of my vehicles.  Does it really make a difference?

Oh once I did have the tranny fluid changed on an f150 at about 100k miles.

Radiator, diff oil, usually transmission and brake fluid I just let her ride.

William52 said:
Calipers usually stay stuck but the flex hose's will eventually let the pressure release. Change the fluid every 5 years.

KandT said:
Oddly no sticking when it cooled off but as it heated up they stuck.
Williams52 may have the answer...sort of.  Since you say it occurs when it heats up, it could be moisture in the brake fluid.  When it heats up, the moisture can vaporize causing the caliper plungers to drag more and then causing even more heat.  Having the brake fluid changed is a good idea.

"I have never changed any fluids other than oil in any of my vehicles.  Does it really make a difference?"

Yes, it makes a difference, its call maintenance.  It help prevent other problems later on.

Got her back last night.  Could be placebo but she drove like a new animal.  I think the brakes may have been sticking since I bought her last year.  Rubber on the calipers had melted some.  Both rears were sticking.  Feels like I lost about 3 tons on her!  I am ready to take it down to the closest 1/4 track and see what she will do!

Had this problem on my E450.  First the drivers side then the passenger side a few months later.  Very scary as the calipers would randomly stick and cause the steering wheel to shake violently.  I replaced both calipers and have had no issues since. 

I had the same problem. We bought our MH used low mileage, it sat quite a lot, first trip had both front calipers sticking intermittently. Replaced both, 12,000 miles later still no problems. 

Bill

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom