Electrical Panel Fault Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

banjosimpa

Situation:  First day of trial run to local CG to checkout all systems on recently delivered Keystone travel trailer--26ft Bullet 220.

Upon initial hookup to 30 amp pedestal started AC ....... running normal.

Refrigerator running on propane.......freezer down to 30F.......refrigerator section about 60F after 3 or 4 hours.  Extremely slow response. 

Mid afternoon electrical panel fault light came on........but there was no fault light when we first hooked/set up earlier today.                          ......2 or 3 12v ceiling lights now have no power, 2 or 3 12v ceiling lights do have power.  Do not have fuse puller or circuit tester on board to identify zone  While in 6 week temp storage all ceiling lights (12v )had power.........on battery.  Today's trial run was first time connected to 30amp.  Meter confirmed CG wiring correct.  All ceiling lights LED.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Banjoal

Not familure with an electrical panel that has a "Fault" light.. I have seen fault lights for water heaters, Furnaces and absorption refrigerators (Gas/electric) but never for an electrical panel.. EXCEPT
If that panel is for an inverter, or inverter/converter, or in some cases an ENERGY MANAGEMENT system They can have fault lights.

The problem to me appears to be a failed converter. OR the charger module in an inverter/charger. and as I said, those DO have fault lights.. But we would need more info to diagnose.

The fault light the OP is talking about may be a blown fuse Indicator. The only thing to try is pull out the fuse and replace with a good one. If it doesn't blow, all is well. If it blows again, it's time for some good troubleshooting to find the fault in the circuit.

I did not think of that because I'd never call one of those a "Fault light" but you do indeed have a point. I have a couple dozen blown fuse indicator led's in this RV and some more in my car (Some are after market, but most are not.. They put a progressive dynamics fuse panel in this house)

Now on my Surge Guard.. (Which has both Fault and OK lights) I'd call it a fault light.

Re the fridge, "slow" is the norm for an RV absorption fridge. Typically it takes 12-24 hours to reach operating temperature, and the freezer gets priority on the chilling.

I'll agree with the others re the probably "fault light" situation, but we need to have more info about this electrical panel and that light. Maybe a photo of the panel, showing the light and its labeling.

Fault light was on this AM.  During the day I noticed no hot water......had been running on propane, good hot showers last night.  Shut off the gas switch, the fault light went out.  Cycled the gas switch back on, heard the propane light off, fault light not on rest of day, and now have hot water........fault light remaining off balance of day.

I plan to call Keystone dealer service dept and discuss events and if this characteristic with a brand new unit is normal......and what was the fault light trying to tell me.  Safety issue lurking??.....or pending premature failure of the heater.

Al

I am not an expert - it sounds like the fault could have been the hot water heater - your unit may show a fault if the hot water heater was set to heat with propane and it did not ignite properly. This could have been due to the propane being shut off - or maybe an "air bubble" in the propane system. We have a fault light on our refrigerator that will come on if it does not light on gas mode.

OK, you are referring to the water heater LP gas on/off switch, which does indeed have a "fault" light. It comes on to tell you the gas burner in the water heater failed to light. That's not an electrical fault and has nothing to do with your 12v lighting. And it should not be happening - the heater should light reliably in response to its thermostat. If the problem persists, have the dealer correct it.

Are some of the ceiling lights still out? That would seem to be a separate issue, perhaps a fuse.

Congratulations, you have found out how the propane side of the water heater signals its failure to light. Heh heh! This can happen randomly as the heater goes on and off as needed and this time it failed to light after being off for a short while.

The refrigerator,  if it is a electric/propane model, also has this feature but the light is usually labeled "Check" and signals a similar condition.

I think the suggestions that the fault light is associated with the water heater failure to fire up are correct.
Two attempts to fire up this AM resulted in no flame and each time the "fault" light came on.  When heater switch turned off the fault light went out.  Dealer service required.

The 12v light situation was "operator error".  I found certain lights have 2 switches in series .....I had turned on only one switch.  Problem solved.

I thank all of you that have weighed in with your expertise and experience.....most helpful to this newbie!!

On this second day of "trial run" of a brand new Keystone Bullet 220 RV my DW and I are extremely pleased that our research has given us a wonderful "two person" unit.

Thank you all again!

Al

banjosimpa said:
The 12v light situation was "operator error".  I found certain lights have 2 switches in series .....I had turned on only one switch.  Problem solved.

I thank all of you that have weighed in with your expertise and experience.....most helpful to this newbie!!
Not normal to have light switches in series. Two switches to control single light yes but both should turn light on and off.
Might want dealer to look at this also

Yup, now I know what the "Fault" light is.  Hot water heater fault.
I do not know why but often it takes two or three tries to get my water heater to work on propane.  I will turn it on, and 3 tries later it shows FAULT and locks out,, Turn off and on, and again it tries 3 times. usually after my 3rd or my 4th try it fires and holds and heats water. it will continue to work normally till it cools off.

Also pre-heating on electric works.. Please do not ask why, should not make a difference.

BobNSam said:
Not normal to have light switches in series. Two switches to control single light yes but both should turn light on and off.
Might want dealer to look at this also

Actually, that is normal in some units. Typically this is with a light switch on the fixture itself and another on the wall, at least in the ones I've seen. I used to have a trailer this way and occasionally forgot I had to have both on, wondering why I "suddenly" didn't have a light there.

Yes, our 09 Keystone Kangaroo has a switch by the main door that will turn on/off two fixtures in the main part of the camper, as long as the switches on those fixtures aren't turned off.

The electrical panel fault light, coming on after each failed attempt to fire up the water heater on propane , was indeed caused by water heater failure.  Specifically, a premature failure of the igniter was the problem.  The fix was a replacement Control Board Fuse Combo.  If anyone has a similar problem here are the relevant specs :

Water heater:  Atwood L.P. Gas Water Heater Model 4-E & 10-E
  Replacement Unit:  Dometic  Kit,SVC CNTL BOARD FUSE COMBO  Item No: 91365
  Unit Cost:  No charge ... unit under warranty.
  Labor:  Minimum.  Trouble shooting and easy R&R unit.

Ah, now I understand. THe Fault Light you cite is the Water Heater fault light. There  is also one for the Fridge I might add. (ANd for the furnace but it is hidden)

When you say "Electrical Panel Fault Light" I"m thinking an electrical fault..  and the only Electrical Panel Fault lights I've seen have to do with Surge Guards and PI "Enegery Monitor" Systems" Possibly with an Intelletec ENergy manager but I have never seen one of those so not sure.

Water Heater Fault light however I know well.. Had to replae MY control board as well,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom