I80 Toll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

I will be coming from MI on I94 which basically turns into I80, westbound. #43

Once in IL there is a toll booth that is maned from 6am to 10pm I think.

I'm planning on maybe going through the area after 10pm to have to deal with less traffic.

My question is - IF no one is there, do you have to have the exact change on throw it in the machine somehow?
Is there any problem doing this from a taller Motorhome vs. a car?

I'm not interested in getting a pass to attach to the windshield for the 2 times I plan on using their toll system.  Once going and once returning.
On the other hand I don't want to get a bill in the mail or a fine.

So has anyone used the toll system after hours?
Did you use all coins or dollar bills and coins?
Is there any way to Pre-pay for 2 tolls from the IL DOT?

I have less than 2 weeks before I leave.

If anyone has lives there or goes through that area I would like to know what you know.  :)

I would get a E-ZPass as it is good in all of the North East and will save you money.
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/
I got one when in New Hampshire and it charges the car/toad as a trailer when hooked up. I put the car transponder in a foil bag in the console so it can't be read. It saves money when just driving the toad around.
I think they have a walk in store at the state line. Look at the link.
Bill

I can't recall any Illinois toll booths that aren't manned 24/7, but Indiana has some that are never staffed. It's exact change, credit card or EZ Pass only.

We had an issue near Elkhart where the machine wouldn't accept any form of payment. We were afraid to drive off, and someone eventually answered the call box. It was that incident that promoted us to get an EZ Pass for the motorhome. I now regret not doing it long before.

I wish all states would join in on the EZ-Pass system.
We have EZ-Pass for the Northeast, SunPass for Florida, and ExpressToll for here in Colorado, and TX Tag for DFW region.
We have to remember to swap them when we are crossing state lines.

I believe there was a government mandate to make them all intraoperative by 2016. I see how well that is working.
What I am seeing in Texas is toll roads or lanes with nothing but electronic and camera toll stations. If you have a Toll tag you are charged a lower price than when they take your picture and mail you the toll.
Both my EZ-Pass and TX TollTag stay on the windshield of the coach all the time. The TX TollTag stays on the toad all the time. Read what I posted about the EZ-Pass, it stayes in it's foil pouch till I drive the toad where I need it.
Here is a link about tying all the systems together.
http://ibtta.org/blog/interoperability-knitting-together-nation%E2%80%99s-toll-roads-system-and-what-it-means-us-drivers
Bill

Florida has been looking to accept the EZ Pass for a few years. It's strange because they do accept the EZ Pass from Georgia (I believe) but not the one's from New England. Go figure.  :eek: ::) :'( :)(

WILDEBILL308 said:
I believe there was a government mandate to make them all intraoperative by 2016. I see how well that is working.
What I am seeing in Texas is toll roads or lanes with nothing but electronic and camera toll stations. If you have a Toll tag you are charged a lower price than when they take your picture and mail you the toll.
Both my EZ-Pass and TX TollTag stay on the windshield of the coach all the time. The TX TollTag stays on the toad all the time. Read what I posted about the EZ-Pass, it stayes in it's foil pouch till I drive the toad where I need it.
Here is a link about tying all the systems together.
http://ibtta.org/blog/interoperability-knitting-together-nation%E2%80%99s-toll-roads-system-and-what-it-means-us-drivers
Bill

Thanks for that.
Looks like we still have a way to go for that interoperability, but some day.

LarsMac said:
I am pretty sure that the booths for I-80 (43 and 45) are manned round the clock.
Bold lettering designates manned toll plazas.
Unattended plazas accept I-PASS/E-ZPass or exact coins only; no receipts.

The above quote is from the IL toll rates for NEW TRUCK/TRAILER RATES BY PLAZA?2017.

I80 in either direction is NOT in bold so I assumed that it was unmanned at least at night.
But I don't live there so my vote doesn't count.  ;D  Come to MI and you will NOT have to pay a toll anywhere
except to cross the straights of Mackinaw which separates the upper and lower peninsulas.

As far as getting an EZ-Pass Yes it would be cheaper but not by ? like cars are.  So for me to get one, to only use it twice
seems a waste of time and money especially when they appear to take cash for trucks too.

$2.70 daytime and $2.15 nighttime is what I think it would be for me in my MH pulling a double axle trailer.  Boothe's 43 & 45
Thanks for all the relies.  I think if I have the above amounts ready I should be OK - time will tell.

Here is the link where I got the info from
https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/86147/TollRateIncreaseQuadFold_1116.pdf/92ae34ca-352f-4e2d-a3f1-ee3039ddaadd

Back
Top Bottom