Ethernet in campgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William52

Do most campgrounds have connections for Ethernet or should I bother carrying the cable and depend on Jetpack. About to hit the Highway soon. Thanks Will

Will, it's a craps shoot. I always carry the Jetpack and the equivalent from another carrier, and never rely on campground Wifi.

It sounds like you are asking about wired internet (i.e., not wifi). If so, maybe I've missed it but I have never seen wired internet available in a campground

Off hand, I can't recall the last time I saw a park with an Ethernet port available for guest use. Like Tom, we carry our own cell based Internet services rather than rely on the usually poor WiFi service provided by the parks.

[quote author=Sun2Retire]It sounds like you are asking about wired internet (i.e., not wifi).[/quote]

Good catch Scott.

Must mean Wifi.
The only park I know of that USED to offer ethernet was Disney's Fort Wilderness. They'd loan you a cable modem to hook into the TV cable. It was great, without doubt the best campground internet ever. We'd bring along the wifi router home and have great access at the site for all of our devices.
But no longer. Now the entire resort is covered by Disney's guest Wifi and the cable modems are gone.

If there is a wired Ethernet port available, it is likely to be in the office or rec room. If you are willing to take your computer there, then carrying an Ethernet cable is worthwhile and certainly not a burden. Otherwise, don't bother.

Wifi has largely replaced wired Ethernet in campgrounds

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
If there is a wired Ethernet port available, it is likely to be in the office or rec room. If you are willing to take your computer there, then carrying an Ethernet cable is worthwhile and certainly not a burden. Otherwise, don't bother.

Wifi has largely replaced wired Ethernet in campgrounds

Exactly... The park Ethernet access I've ever seen has been one or more ports available for guest use in an office or other common area. And even that is rare now having been replaced with WiFi.

Funny you should mention this - I currently have a 50 foot ethernet cable stretched from the 5er to a communications shed...woks great, but somewhat unfair - but I am also the park webmaster and been working on updates and monitoring the WiFi system for a future upgrade...

This would be a rare occurrence for sure...

Jim

I've never been to a park that offered wired Ethernet connectivity.  I've pretty much given up on trying to use park wifi ... my experience has been that unacceptable performance seems to rule the day such that I rarely even bother trying it.  I bite the bullet, pay the bill and use a Verizon cellular setup (Cradlepoint IBR600 router provisioned on the Verizon network - augmented with a Weboost Drive 4G-X signal booster) - it certainly ain't cheap, but it's been reliable.  We've yet to spend a night someplace where I didn't have functional internet connectivity with at least acceptable performance - and that speaks to 2+ years of traveling covering 23+ states. 

Still .. I keep a 20 ft Ethernet cable in the laptop bag ... you never know when it might come in handy. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom