EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: If someone was breaking into your MH to possibly hurt or kill you,  (Read 1392 times)

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
  • If we aren't laughing, we aren't living!
    • The Spirit Within
where in your MH would be the best place to hide from the possible killers?

The only place I can think of is in the bedroom under the lift up part of the bed.  I doubt they would think of looking there or even realize the bed lift up unless they owned a MH themselves.  Is there any other place I am forgetting about where you might hide for a few minutes?  Or maybe even sneak out of in the back while they were breaking into the front door.

I know some of you would grab your gun first, but boy I would hate to kill someone not knowing who they were or who they might be related to in that town or county.  As they said in the movie Deliverance, the whole county might know and/or be related to the person you shot.  If I had to do that, I doubt I would wait around for the police if I could safely just start my rig and head off down the rode with no one being the wiser.  Would have to make sure you didn't leave any witnesses though.
Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

john owens

• ---
Re: If someone was breaking into your MH to possibly hurt or kill you,
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:21:04 PM »
Easy..I would turn into the invisable man.........
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

DWJoyce

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:18:20 AM »
I think you answered your own question. However, I'd hope those with guns will have a carry license and the training to shoot only when their life is in danger. Probably a good idea to keep local law enforcement's phone number instead of just 911.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 12:20:37 AM »
I would say that I would have to hide behind the sights of my 45. Break into my house/RV, you are taking your chances.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 03:57:13 AM »
Seriously??  If you're that worried about people out to get you, I suggest you stay holed up in your fortified house.  Not outdoors in a flimsy RV.

It's extremely unlikely someone would actually break into an occupied RV unless you're doing something really stupid like parking overnight in the worst part of a city.

But if I was in a motor home and something outside made me nervous, the place I'd be is in the drivers seat preparing to drive away.  If someone was actually trying to get into the RV, I'd be blaring the horn and turning on every outside light including the headlights.  Most bad guys operate on stealth, start making a bunch of noise and they'll scatter like the rats they are.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:34:55 AM by Lou Schneider »

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 06:06:57 AM »
I agree with Lou on the likely hood of that happening is slim to none. As he said, make some noise. One can use a portable air horn, and if it's dark, one of those new LED strobe flashlights.
That said,   I'm with Marty. I would have them singing Shinedown,  "no real reason to accept the way things have changed, staring down the barrel of a .45"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 06:11:05 AM by kdbgoat »
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
Most motor homes have two emergency exits, one on either side.. If the hostile is trying to break in .. Use the one he can not seer and make tracks for a place of safety.. also 9-1-1 on his ....er... anatomy and let the professionals adjust either his attitude, or his altitude, or both.

(Two things in life are all important, A positive altitude and a verticle attitude, if the bad guy refuses to "Drop the weapon" then the police officer may introduce him to -6' Horizontal and frankly.. that sucks.). 
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 07:14:42 AM »
I think you answered your own question. However, I'd hope those with guns will have a carry license and the training to shoot only when their life is in danger. Probably a good idea to keep local law enforcement's phone number instead of just 911.
A concealed carry license is no longer required in Missouri.  In your situation, give a verbal warning that you are armed and will shoot. If that is ignored the Castle Doctrine applies and one less criminal will be present on this earth.  When it comes to lives, I refuse to hide if I have the means to resist.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 5 months

xrated

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
My first thought is........is this a legitimate question or do we have a full blown "troll in progress"?  Let's get that sorted out before any of us waste anymore time with this!
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

whiteva

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »
Actual entry would be very noisy in any RV. Fire 3 warning shots center mass to the AH. If the person continues to act hostile then get serious, 3 shots to the head. At some point feel free to whisper ex police officer.

2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Shadeaux the black cat. Stop by for coffee or beverage

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 07:35:11 AM »
A surprising [to me] number of people seem to have concerns like this, but I'm not one of them. Some carry weapons, others rely on alarms and "safe rooms" or escape. Driving away is the best means of self-protection, but that assumes you have at least a few minutes warning. It's too late when you hear the glass breaking.

In any case, there is no place in any RV that is remotely safe or effective for hiding.  If it comes to pass, either bail out the emergency exit or start making peace with your god.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Wizard46

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
Only thing I will add is that if they are breaking in, I would not be worried about their safety
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Home: Milledgeville Ga.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
In 74 years of camping and RV'ing, I've never been in a situation where I felt threatened by any two-legged critter and I don't intend to start worrying about it now. Situational awareness is the only "weapon" I carry. If where I am just doesn't feel right, I don't stay there...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:56:40 AM »
Ya, I can just see me opening the bed, unloading everything in there so me and my DW can hide and not be heard while doing this. I'm just like Marty, I would simply hide behind my 380 Ruger. It would bother me to have to shoot someone but I think it would only last a few seconds.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

KandT

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 08:04:03 AM »
Does anyone know the laws carrying a firearm across state lines?

I think a national carry permit is being debated now but I believe you have to abide by each states individual laws right now.  Meaning that even if you have a concealed permit it won't be recognized in another state.  However, is a MH considered your "castle" or home which are under different laws as opposed to having a weapon in your Subaru??

I am not a lawyer so the laws are confusing.
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
Does anyone know the laws carrying a firearm across state lines?
I am not a lawyer so the laws are confusing.

Mandatory reading for those carrying:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Firearm-Fifty-States/dp/097254898X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495287738&sr=8-1&keywords=50+state+carry+laws
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »
I think Lou's response is the best. I know some people who won't sleep in tents because the boogie man might slice the fabric and get them. I recommend they stay in cabins or just stay out of the outdoors altogether. This sounds like an equivalent thing.
Pam and Kevin plus Minou and Lily (the cats) plus Lexi (the grand-dog)
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

Wigpro

• ---
    • Capt Jim Lucas
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 10:53:27 AM »
Agree that situational awareness is your best defense = know where you are and if uncomfortable move on...as for guns - mine is by my side most of the time and rest assured there would be one verbal warning followed immediately by a warning shot, then if they don't leave or begin to run - then the rest of the magazine will be emptied.

As for carry permits - I have one in a long forgotten state (my domicile does not require one) and quite frankly I am currently in a state that is very unfriendly to gun owners...however, I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

I have never been in a place where I felt uncomfortable and sleep well at night, mainly for being aware of my surroundings.

Stay Safe,

Jim
Full time traveler, fishing guide and photographer!

Travel Blog: http://captjimtravelblog.blogspot.com

Photo Site: http://captjim.smugmug.com/

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
Where to hide large sums of money,what to name the MH,now how to avoid burglars?  I just don't think the RV life is for some people.  Or maybe RV forums are not for everybody. 
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »
I would think I would have time to get behind the door in the back bathroom and exit the escape window out the side.  But that's just me - I have two other family members and we could never all 3 get out with any diligence to avoid trouble........so the .45 serves as the initial barrier.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

JudyJB

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
For those of you with guns, do be careful who you shoot.  Several years ago, my neighbor and I lived in second story condos.  We each had a private front door and an open stairway leading up to our units.  You could look down to see who was coming in your door.

So, after midnight one evening, one of my neighbors heard the front door open and close, but no one come up the stairs.  She got up to see what was going on, peeked down the stairs, and saw an elderly man taking off his shoes and pants just inside her door. He was sitting on one of the steps, struggling to remove his shoes. She called the police and it turned out she had left her door unlocked and an elderly man with Alzheimer's had wandered off and thought he was home.  His wife was very happy to get him back.   
Full-timing for over five years in a
2012 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31N

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
For those of you with guns, do be careful who you shoot.  Several years ago, my neighbor and I lived in second story condos.  We each had a private front door and an open stairway leading up to our units.  You could look down to see who was coming in your door.

So, after midnight one evening, one of my neighbors heard the front door open and close, but no one come up the stairs.  She got up to see what was going on, peeked down the stairs, and saw an elderly man taking off his shoes and pants just inside her door. He was sitting on one of the steps, struggling to remove his shoes. She called the police and it turned out she had left her door unlocked and an elderly man with Alzheimer's had wandered off and thought he was home.  His wife was very happy to get him back.

He didn't sound like he was much of a threat so I would not have shot first then ask questions after.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
If I felt my life was in danger I would not hide, I would protect myself with any means available.
In my case it's a Taurus Judge .45/.410 revolver
I load the first three chambers with self defense .410 shotgun rounds, and the other two with .45 Colt in case the shotgun rounds don't stop the threat.
I use the shotgun rounds because they are less likely to go through the walls and into the neighboring RV.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
    • The Spirit Within
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
Seriously??  If you're that worried about people out to get you, I suggest you stay holed up in your fortified house.  Not outdoors in a flimsy RV.

It's extremely unlikely someone would actually break into an occupied RV unless you're doing something really stupid like parking overnight in the worst part of a city.

But if I was in a motor home and something outside made me nervous, the place I'd be is in the drivers seat preparing to drive away.  If someone was actually trying to get into the RV, I'd be blaring the horn and turning on every outside light including the headlights.  Most bad guys operate on stealth, start making a bunch of noise and they'll scatter like the rats they are.

That is a good answer.  Maybe the best thing one should do.  I just wonder when in great fear if that is what most would think of to do.
Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
    • The Spirit Within
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »

Mandatory reading for those carrying:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Firearm-Fifty-States/dp/097254898X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495287738&sr=8-1&keywords=50+state+carry+laws

Thanks, that seems like a must read.  Just hope it would stay up to date for a while at least.
Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
    • The Spirit Within
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 03:04:57 PM »

That is funny in so many ways.
Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

SissyBoyFloyd

• ---
    • The Spirit Within
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »
If I felt my life was in danger I would not hide, I would protect myself with any means available.
In my case it's a Taurus Judge .45/.410 revolver
I load the first three chambers with self defense .410 shotgun rounds, and the other two with .45 Colt in case the shotgun rounds don't stop the threat.
I use the shotgun rounds because they are less likely to go through the walls and into the neighboring RV.

I never knew there was such a gun.  I have just now been looking at the local gun shop.  I feel most comfortable with a simple small 5 or 6 shot S&W .357 revolver.
Pawnee,
Buffalo Hunter

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2017, 07:36:46 PM »
I never knew there was such a gun.  I have just now been looking at the local gun shop.  I feel most comfortable with a simple small 5 or 6 shot S&W .357 revolver.

I have a six shot .357 and a 5 shot .38 as well.
Judge is primarily carried in the RV.

Here is a link to the Taurus web site:
 http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=JDG&toggle=tr

2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

billwild

• ---
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »
A number of years back an older couple were never seen again after travelling in their motorhome which the police found burnt out in a provincial park. After that I purchased a nice fold up 22 rifle for protection. We were planning a trip to the US so I went to our local police and asked them about taking the gun into the States. I was told no problem just declare it at the border. We arrived at the border and were asked the usual question, any fruits or vegetable, no I said, but I do have a gun. Right away, "you can't bring that in here". I then asked if I could leave it with them and pick it up on our return. His response was yes, you can leave it with us and we will crush it for you. That was it, we returned back to Canada and I left the rifle with friends until we came back. Thank you local police for the stupid advice.

Bill

Hosted by Over The Network