If someone was breaking into your MH to possibly hurt or kill you,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SissyBoyFloyd

where in your MH would be the best place to hide from the possible killers?

The only place I can think of is in the bedroom under the lift up part of the bed.  I doubt they would think of looking there or even realize the bed lift up unless they owned a MH themselves.  Is there any other place I am forgetting about where you might hide for a few minutes?  Or maybe even sneak out of in the back while they were breaking into the front door.

I know some of you would grab your gun first, but boy I would hate to kill someone not knowing who they were or who they might be related to in that town or county.  As they said in the movie Deliverance, the whole county might know and/or be related to the person you shot.  If I had to do that, I doubt I would wait around for the police if I could safely just start my rig and head off down the rode with no one being the wiser.  Would have to make sure you didn't leave any witnesses though.

I think you answered your own question. However, I'd hope those with guns will have a carry license and the training to shoot only when their life is in danger. Probably a good idea to keep local law enforcement's phone number instead of just 911.

Seriously??  If you're that worried about people out to get you, I suggest you stay holed up in your fortified house.  Not outdoors in a flimsy RV.

It's extremely unlikely someone would actually break into an occupied RV unless you're doing something really stupid like parking overnight in the worst part of a city.

But if I was in a motor home and something outside made me nervous, the place I'd be is in the drivers seat preparing to drive away.  If someone was actually trying to get into the RV, I'd be blaring the horn and turning on every outside light including the headlights.  Most bad guys operate on stealth, start making a bunch of noise and they'll scatter like the rats they are.

I agree with Lou on the likely hood of that happening is slim to none. As he said, make some noise. One can use a portable air horn, and if it's dark, one of those new LED strobe flashlights.
That said,  I'm with Marty. I would have them singing Shinedown,  "no real reason to accept the way things have changed, staring down the barrel of a .45"

Most motor homes have two emergency exits, one on either side.. If the hostile is trying to break in .. Use the one he can not seer and make tracks for a place of safety.. also 9-1-1 on his ....er... anatomy and let the professionals adjust either his attitude, or his altitude, or both.

(Two things in life are all important, A positive altitude and a verticle attitude, if the bad guy refuses to "Drop the weapon" then the police officer may introduce him to -6' Horizontal and frankly.. that sucks.). 

DWJoyce said:
I think you answered your own question. However, I'd hope those with guns will have a carry license and the training to shoot only when their life is in danger. Probably a good idea to keep local law enforcement's phone number instead of just 911.
A concealed carry license is no longer required in Missouri.  In your situation, give a verbal warning that you are armed and will shoot. If that is ignored the Castle Doctrine applies and one less criminal will be present on this earth.  When it comes to lives, I refuse to hide if I have the means to resist.

Bill

My first thought is........is this a legitimate question or do we have a full blown "troll in progress"?  Let's get that sorted out before any of us waste anymore time with this!

Actual entry would be very noisy in any RV. Fire 3 warning shots center mass to the AH. If the person continues to act hostile then get serious, 3 shots to the head. At some point feel free to whisper ex police officer.

A surprising [to me] number of people seem to have concerns like this, but I'm not one of them. Some carry weapons, others rely on alarms and "safe rooms" or escape. Driving away is the best means of self-protection, but that assumes you have at least a few minutes warning. It's too late when you hear the glass breaking.

In any case, there is no place in any RV that is remotely safe or effective for hiding.  If it comes to pass, either bail out the emergency exit or start making peace with your god.

Only thing I will add is that if they are breaking in, I would not be worried about their safety

In 74 years of camping and RV'ing, I've never been in a situation where I felt threatened by any two-legged critter and I don't intend to start worrying about it now. Situational awareness is the only "weapon" I carry. If where I am just doesn't feel right, I don't stay there...

Ya, I can just see me opening the bed, unloading everything in there so me and my DW can hide and not be heard while doing this. I'm just like Marty, I would simply hide behind my 380 Ruger. It would bother me to have to shoot someone but I think it would only last a few seconds.

Does anyone know the laws carrying a firearm across state lines?

I think a national carry permit is being debated now but I believe you have to abide by each states individual laws right now.  Meaning that even if you have a concealed permit it won't be recognized in another state.  However, is a MH considered your "castle" or home which are under different laws as opposed to having a weapon in your Subaru??

I am not a lawyer so the laws are confusing.

KandT said:
Does anyone know the laws carrying a firearm across state lines?
I am not a lawyer so the laws are confusing.

Mandatory reading for those carrying:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Firearm-Fifty-States/dp/097254898X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495287738&sr=8-1&keywords=50+state+carry+laws

I think Lou's response is the best. I know some people who won't sleep in tents because the boogie man might slice the fabric and get them. I recommend they stay in cabins or just stay out of the outdoors altogether. This sounds like an equivalent thing.

Agree that situational awareness is your best defense = know where you are and if uncomfortable move on...as for guns - mine is by my side most of the time and rest assured there would be one verbal warning followed immediately by a warning shot, then if they don't leave or begin to run - then the rest of the magazine will be emptied.

As for carry permits - I have one in a long forgotten state (my domicile does not require one) and quite frankly I am currently in a state that is very unfriendly to gun owners...however, I would much rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

I have never been in a place where I felt uncomfortable and sleep well at night, mainly for being aware of my surroundings.

Stay Safe,

Jim

Where to hide large sums of money,what to name the MH,now how to avoid burglars?  I just don't think the RV life is for some people.  Or maybe RV forums are not for everybody. 

Sun2Retire said:
Mandatory reading for those carrying:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Firearm-Fifty-States/dp/097254898X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495287738&sr=8-1&keywords=50+state+carry+laws

That is a good source,here is another:

http://www.gunlaws.com/links/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom