If someone was breaking into your MH to possibly hurt or kill you,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think I would have time to get behind the door in the back bathroom and exit the escape window out the side.  But that's just me - I have two other family members and we could never all 3 get out with any diligence to avoid trouble........so the .45 serves as the initial barrier.

For those of you with guns, do be careful who you shoot.  Several years ago, my neighbor and I lived in second story condos.  We each had a private front door and an open stairway leading up to our units.  You could look down to see who was coming in your door.

So, after midnight one evening, one of my neighbors heard the front door open and close, but no one come up the stairs.  She got up to see what was going on, peeked down the stairs, and saw an elderly man taking off his shoes and pants just inside her door. He was sitting on one of the steps, struggling to remove his shoes. She called the police and it turned out she had left her door unlocked and an elderly man with Alzheimer's had wandered off and thought he was home.  His wife was very happy to get him back. 

JudyJB said:
For those of you with guns, do be careful who you shoot.  Several years ago, my neighbor and I lived in second story condos.  We each had a private front door and an open stairway leading up to our units.  You could look down to see who was coming in your door.

So, after midnight one evening, one of my neighbors heard the front door open and close, but no one come up the stairs.  She got up to see what was going on, peeked down the stairs, and saw an elderly man taking off his shoes and pants just inside her door. He was sitting on one of the steps, struggling to remove his shoes. She called the police and it turned out she had left her door unlocked and an elderly man with Alzheimer's had wandered off and thought he was home.  His wife was very happy to get him back.

He didn't sound like he was much of a threat so I would not have shot first then ask questions after.

If I felt my life was in danger I would not hide, I would protect myself with any means available.
In my case it's a Taurus Judge .45/.410 revolver
I load the first three chambers with self defense .410 shotgun rounds, and the other two with .45 Colt in case the shotgun rounds don't stop the threat.
I use the shotgun rounds because they are less likely to go through the walls and into the neighboring RV.

Lou Schneider said:
Seriously??  If you're that worried about people out to get you, I suggest you stay holed up in your fortified house.  Not outdoors in a flimsy RV.

It's extremely unlikely someone would actually break into an occupied RV unless you're doing something really stupid like parking overnight in the worst part of a city.

But if I was in a motor home and something outside made me nervous, the place I'd be is in the drivers seat preparing to drive away.  If someone was actually trying to get into the RV, I'd be blaring the horn and turning on every outside light including the headlights.  Most bad guys operate on stealth, start making a bunch of noise and they'll scatter like the rats they are.

That is a good answer.  Maybe the best thing one should do.  I just wonder when in great fear if that is what most would think of to do.

Sun2Retire said:
Mandatory reading for those carrying:

https://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Guide-Firearm-Fifty-States/dp/097254898X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495287738&sr=8-1&keywords=50+state+carry+laws

Thanks, that seems like a must read.  Just hope it would stay up to date for a while at least.

JudyJB said:

That is funny in so many ways.

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
If I felt my life was in danger I would not hide, I would protect myself with any means available.
In my case it's a Taurus Judge .45/.410 revolver
I load the first three chambers with self defense .410 shotgun rounds, and the other two with .45 Colt in case the shotgun rounds don't stop the threat.
I use the shotgun rounds because they are less likely to go through the walls and into the neighboring RV.

I never knew there was such a gun.  I have just now been looking at the local gun shop.  I feel most comfortable with a simple small 5 or 6 shot S&W .357 revolver.

SissyBoyFloyd said:
I never knew there was such a gun.  I have just now been looking at the local gun shop.  I feel most comfortable with a simple small 5 or 6 shot S&W .357 revolver.

I have a six shot .357 and a 5 shot .38 as well.
Judge is primarily carried in the RV.

Here is a link to the Taurus web site:
http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=JDG&toggle=tr

A number of years back an older couple were never seen again after travelling in their motorhome which the police found burnt out in a provincial park. After that I purchased a nice fold up 22 rifle for protection. We were planning a trip to the US so I went to our local police and asked them about taking the gun into the States. I was told no problem just declare it at the border. We arrived at the border and were asked the usual question, any fruits or vegetable, no I said, but I do have a gun. Right away, "you can't bring that in here". I then asked if I could leave it with them and pick it up on our return. His response was yes, you can leave it with us and we will crush it for you. That was it, we returned back to Canada and I left the rifle with friends until we came back. Thank you local police for the stupid advice.

Bill

www.handgunlaw.us

This is the reference I use, kept up to date with links to the individual state web sites.  Jim.

The best deterrent is not a center fire gun of any kind!
Weather it be a hand gun or long gun.
The most chilling sound in the middle of the night is a shell being injected into a 12 gauge.
That sound will send any intruder high tailing it.
No need to shout I HAVE A WEAPON. He will be too far gone to hear it.

With a hand gun you have to shoot a warning shot in the dark.
Very hard on the interior!
12 gauge pump for me.

Check this out. It does happen!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Lyle_and_Marie_McCann

Just a couple of thoughts. In this day of computer and internet expertise and searches, might  not be a great idea to post plans to shoot an intruder, just in case the worst happens.

In addition, a shotgun, with 4s or smaller, not buckshot, has the advantage of not killing someone two or three campers away, where that .357 or rifle can tear  through that camper wall like stale bread.

If a handgun is the only answer for you, buy some shot shells and maybe save the life of the next camper over!

A few years back, in a campground in Montana, met a fellow from California who just HAD to show me, without any reason,  his Dirty Harry 44 Magnum, which was fully loaded and kept below the couch cushion in the camper. No license, no permit even in California, non resident, and not even the common sense to not show it off.

Glad to move on.

Greetings,

Interesting topic. My personal feelings are, most RV campgrounds are reasonably safe. Odds are, your one of many campers so chances are low of someone bothering you in a crowded campground. If you boondock, camp off the beaten path in secluded spots, then the chance of someone happening by and intent to do harm could be higher. It can take law enforcement time to get to you, so some form of deterrent for would be intruders is in order. While odds are low of you being a victim, when you are, a good plan to prevent you being a crime statistic is in order.

Camp'n next to SargeW would put me at ease!!

A lot of the links here are interesting but I have to think that, should the situation arise, I would have to remember where I was and what the law was for that jurisdiction.  My view is that 911 will respond 5-15 minutes.  Smith & Wesson will respond in 5-15 seconds.  Familiarity with the law is fine but is of no good use if you are being attacked by someone who could care less about any law.  I would definitely want to be sure to exactly how much of a threat I was responding but I would not have any doubt about shooting to protect myself or my family but hope this will never happen.

Bill

KandT said:
Does anyone know the laws carrying a firearm across state lines?

I think a national carry permit is being debated now but I believe you have to abide by each states individual laws right now.  Meaning that even if you have a concealed permit it won't be recognized in another state.  However, is a MH considered your "castle" or home which are under different laws as opposed to having a weapon in your Subaru??

I am not a lawyer so the laws are confusing.

I'm pretty sure do not need a carry permit in any state to have a firearm in your home.  I live in the most restrictive 2A state/county/city there is.  It's impossible to get a CCW here and I have legal guns in my home.  When I'm in it the motorhome is my home.  I'm very careful to transport them legally.

Good information thus far. But the truth of the matter is that there is about 99.99% chance that you will never need any kind self protection.  But it's also true that bad things happen to good people. That's why this issue is such a personal choice, and none of the choices anyone has made is wrong. It's just their choices.

It's one of the rules I learned to live by from many years of experience. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. The result will most likely be somewhere in the middle.

8Muddypaws said:
I'm pretty sure do not need a carry permit. . Home. . .  When I'm in it the motorhome is my home.  I'm very careful to transport them legally.

I think it would helpful and less misleading if you would provide more details about your rationale for this, and based more on regulatory concepts than a word interpretation. Your RV is a motorized vehicle, required to be registered as such, it is not a domicile or residence.  While you may be legal in your State (please tell us where), I'd like to understand why.  Maybe that state uses the concept of "home", but that would be very, very unusual.  Home is a wishy -washy term that is not generally used for regulations.  Terms like domicile, residence, principle address, are used and those terms are strictly defined by each state and legal circumstance of their usage.  Otherwise, a box under a bridge is a home, as is a stealth van, an abandoned box car, . . .etc.  pretty sure someone found with a non-permitted handgun in those situations would find themselves amok of gun laws.  Maybe you could explain a little further why you've stated that a gun, which requires a CCW, can be legally carried/transported, without the permit.

SissyBoyFloyd said:
where in your MH would be the best place to hide from the possible killers?
The only place I can think of is in the bedroom under the lift up part of the bed.  I doubt they would think of looking there or even realize the bed lift up unless they owned a MH themselves. 
SissyBoyFloyd
No disrespect intended... but people with a suspicion and mistrust of people or their actions without evidence or justification... never feel safe... anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom