Must bring items for newbies and pro campers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Studiovette

I found a lot of useful info in the library but was just curious to see what others bring also.

What things are MUST bring items for anybody hitting the road to visit one of their favorite outdoor destinations. Any not so obvious ones would be great also. Emergency items, general supplies etc..

A flexible, unrushed attitude.
Oh. You mean STUFF?  ;)
A really comfortable chair.
Seriously. Imagine a long day's drive, carefully leveling, unhitching, stabilizing, unpacking and setting up. Ready to settle in for a relaxing evening,
and finding that you have no seating that's comfortable for more than 10 minutes at a stretch.

PopPop beat me to it, a really comfortable chair. It's indispensable when it's pouring rain and the only thing to do is sit around under the awning. Who wants to sit inside? That's no fun.

Last trip, which was last w/e we did not have an extra lighter (you know the long flame thing). Had to go to the store for sugar and ice. Didn't bring the cooler for the ice so bought one of those styrofoam coolers. Forgot wine so had to go get that. I guess it might be something different each trip. When we Funtime down we had all our stuff with us. Now it's easy to forget things. I know, make a checklist. I would lose it.

I like to have a junk drawer of potentially handy items.  Some basic tools, duct tape, extra batteries, that sort of thing.

I would also recommend a pen and notebook to write down what you need next time or from the store.  Also,notes about your journeys.  I hope one day to look back and enjoy the memories.

I don't know anything about your rig, but if you're pulling a TT, small 5w or a pop up, you should have a jack big enough for the trailer and a lug wrench that fits your wheels. Don't depend on the tools that came with your tow vehicle to fit or work with your trailer. Hopefully you'll never have to change a tire while out having a good time, but it's best to be prepared.

Studiovette said:
I found a lot of useful info in the library but was just curious to see what others bring also.

What things are MUST bring items for anybody hitting the road to visit one of their favorite outdoor destinations. Any not so obvious ones would be great also. Emergency items, general supplies etc..

some not so obvious stuff:  portable electric heater, small portions of various kinds of tape (double sided, duct, scotch, gaffer, electrical, masking, velcro, etc), super glue, spare 12V bulbs, multipurpose screwdriver, scissors, wine cork, water for batteries, spare AAA/AA/watch batteries, deck of cards, list of passwords, at least $300 of cash, swim suit, flip flops, spray lube, windshield/glass cleaner, spare fuses, sun screen, bug repellant, camera, walking stick, tire pressure gage, spare key located in a secret place on the exterior, small fan, phone charger, first aid kit, snacks to share at HH, extra water, ...

Patnsuzanne said:
you should have a jack big enough for the trailer and a lug wrench that fits your wheels.
I hope I'm not considered o be "thread jacking", but how do you determine what is big enough? I know I sound like a totally newbie, but, that is because I am. And, what is considered the right type of jack? Thanks.

One week before we leave on our long trip - a first for us! I appreciate this thread and am considering all the answers. We are doing an overnight at a local campground Monday just to make sure all is in working order and we haven't forgotten an essential.
A few years back we had a big trailer we used locally for business so we aren't totally green, but this trailer is new to us and we haven't done a long trip before. One thing I could add to your list based on past experience - adapters for your electrical plug. There seems to be a variety of configurations used. If you don't have the right set up you won't be able to plug in at your campsite.

Gary said it best. Every RVer learns with experience what they should bring along with them. The "must have" items are a mixture of emergency items and the stuff that put that smile on your face. All personal choice.
There are some basic guidelines. After that, it's up to you.

In all honesty...
A Leatherman Multi-tool.
I carry a pretty well stocked tool box in the TV but I keep a Leatherman "Wave" in the camper and use it more often than you'd imagine.
Amazon Leaterman Wave

To the OP - IMO the best thing you can do is DRIVEWAY CAMP to know what you will need, at least on a daily basis.

It won't tell you what you need in an emergency and unless you can carry everything "just in case of" there is no real way to know
what emergency you will come up against and what you would need.  Have some cash and a CC for the unexpected.

I'm going to be spending a few days in my MH on the driveway and only come in the house for restroom breaks or if I found I forgot
to pack something.

Alfa38User said:
Hoosier Daddy:

What tools in that Leatherman Wave get the most use??

I don't know what's in the wave, but in my original Leatherman (from waaaaay back) the pliers get the most use, though the screwdrivers occasionally see use, too. Of course I have a Swiss Army knife in my pocket that provides knife blades and screwdrivers, too, along with a P38-type can opener and an awl that see occasional use.

RedandSilver said:
To the OP - IMO the best thing you can do is DRIVEWAY CAMP to know what you will need, at least on a daily basis.

It won't tell you what you need in an emergency and unless you can carry everything "just in case of" there is no real way to know
what emergency you will come up against and what you would need.  Have some cash and a CC for the unexpected.

I'm going to be spending a few days in my MH on the driveway and only come in the house for restroom breaks or if I found I forgot
to pack something.
I would fill the water tank and check out the toilet to. You can dump before you leave or at your first campground. Wash and shave in the coach. Basically actually live in the coach. It is better to find out something isn't working in your driveway than 500 miles from home.
Making a list is good but following up is better. I have made that list and never followed up when I got home. Fortunately it was minor stuff but still frustrating.
A good roadside assistance plan is one outher thing you need.
Bill

jackquontee said:
I hope I'm not considered o be "thread jacking", but how do you determine what is big enough? I know I sound like a totally newbie, but, that is because I am. And, what is considered the right type of jack? Thanks.

I presume he was referring to something other then the cheap jack that come with a TV.  I take a bottle jack with me and a large plank for stability.  My truck jack can jack up a truck corner in an emergency, but it will be difficult to jack up my trailer because the suspension and tire location means the trailer is coming up with two tires, or half of the trailer.  I did it once to see what I needed, and quickly added a bottle jack to the list.

While on the subject a couple road flares and reflective emergency triangles are a good idea.

WILDEBILL308 said:
I would fill the water tank and check out the toilet to. You can dump before you leave or at your first campground. Wash and shave in the coach. Basically actually live in the coach. It is better to find out something isn't working in your driveway than 500 miles from home.
Making a list is good but following up is better. I have made that list and never followed up when I got home. Fortunately it was minor stuff but still frustrating.
A good roadside assistance plan is one outher thing you need.
Bill

I would use the toilet (in the MH) BUT the first campground I'm going to doesn't have sewer.  I will fill the water tank before I go anywhere.
I do have list's made out too, but they keep growing.  ;D  And I know I can't take everything with me for a 3 week trip.  Might be different
if I were full-time or going Snowbirding like I hope to do this Winter.

I agree it's a lot better to learn about something in the driveway than 500 miles from home - that's why I suggested it to the OP.
It's been real Windy and/or Rainy here lately so I haven't packed much yet and I leave in about a week - so 3 days only in the MH
hopefully will be enough time for me to notice anything wrong or forgotten.

And I hope to purchase a roadside assist package this week, because it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around.  :-[

I always make sure I have a pencil and notebook. That way I can jot down anything that is needed and not in the rig.
I also use it to take notes on items to be fixed, purchased, taken out, or taken down after camping.

ClickHill said:
I always make sure I have a pencil and notebook. That way I can jot down anything that is needed and not in the rig.
I also use it to take notes on items to be fixed, purchased, taken out, or taken down after camping.
Yes and the important part is to work the list when you get home.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom