Disconnecting JK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mile High

I've towed our old 97 TJ Wrangler for a couple of years, but am now towing a 13 JKU Wrangler. Both were automatics, but I am having a hard time getting the transfer case back into gear on this JK before I disconnect the tow bar. The best I have been able to do is work it hard to get it into 4-Low. I don't recall ever having trouble with our TJ.

Anyone have better luck, ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

Brad do you have the owners manual? It lists the proper steps for changing over the drive train after towing. I must be getting old I have to read mine almost each time to get it right. I think the worst thing that might happen is a slight grinding og gears...that tells me the engine is running when I switch over...sorry not much help...

You are probably not doing anything wrong. I have an  08' and it's still cranky at times about going back into gear. We do the same thing, if 4 hi doesn't work, then we go for 4 lo. It's a rare occasion, but sometimes neither will work and I have to get back into the rig and roll it forward a few inches to bump the gears.

That usually occurs when we are at a slight nose down angle and the trans case has no "wiggle room". If you to do a lot of off roading and shifted in and out of hi and lo often, it tends to make them a little easier to deal with.

A bit of caution; the 2012 used a plastic coupling between the lever and transfer case that was subject to binding and sometimes breaking. Mine locked up and wouldn't go into neutral the first time I tried to use it. Dealer repaired and no further problems in 25, 000 plus miles.

There is a good writeup by one of the other Jeepers here on how to upgrade the connection. Sarge maybe?

Ernie

You are correct Ernie. There is a plastic bushing at both ends of the transfer case shift cable. Many, many failures have stranded folks at the worst times.  Sometimes you know when it fails, sometimes you don't know until you try to get into or out of a low range.  I had to fabricate some brass bushings.  I don't know if Jeep ever addressed this issue on  newer models or not.

Well at least it's not just me.  I do always have the engine off, but I like the idea of rolling the coach forward a bit.  I think between the DW and I we could do that.  I could probably drop the tow bar and roll it a bit myself too.  I'll try it some more next week over vacation.  Thanks all for the input!

That may be doable as well. But often I find that if the Jeep doesn't want to go into gear, the tow bar may be binded up as well. In that case I will have the DW turn the wheels back and forth slowly to relieve pressure on the connecting pins. It usually doesn't take much movement to bump things to get them to move.  Slight down hill driveways are the worst for unhooking the tow. Everything seems to want to bind.

I did bind it the other day and couldn't figure out why the tow bar wouldn't release.  it was in a turn.  Can't remember exactly what I had, but I remember one arm was under pressure.  Once I figured it out it disconnected OK.

With the engine running at idle, if you shift the AT into "D" briefly, then back to "N" the transfer case shift will usually move into 4 Hi, then into 2 Hi.  Sometimes I have to repeat this.  If it won't go easily, there's no need to force it, just use the "D" position to move things around slightly and it will move easily.  Works for me.

When it takes more than light effort, with the gearshift in neutral, I start the engine and immediately shut it off. Usually, that does the trick.

What taoshum said. Motor running, shift into drive and back to neutral then shift the transfer case. Works every time for me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom