Aux Fuel Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Free Spirit

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 Tradesman with 4wd and 6.7 Cummins Turbo. My fuel tank is I think 32 gals. My guess is when towing, I will have to stop for fuel EVERY day. I could live with every day and a half or even better, every other day while averaging 350 miles per day.
Do any of you have Aux fuel tanks or been thinking about getting one?

I can't answer your question directly but you need to know that the extra fuel on board is weight that will count
against you and lower the amount you can tow.

With enough time and money most things can be accomplished and I believe some have added an additional tank.

IF you can drive 55mph when towing - you might not be too far off your goal.

I didn't see a TT listed in your signature so IF you don't have one yet and can get by with a lighter or slightly smaller unit that would help.
If your not willing to drive slower or go lighter then getting fuel once a day is cheaper than another tank etc.

When traveling I get fuel at least once a day sometimes twice in one day as I want a full (or fairly full) tank when I park at night to
reduce the condensation that might collect in the tank and be ready to go in the morning - but that's just me.

IF I were in your shoes I would try it, the way it is now first, since your only "guessing" when towing that you might not make 350 miles.  JMO.

We have a 2015 Ram 3500 dually that had a 28 gallon tank. We tow a 5W, already have a toolbox in the bed and a hard flip-bak tonue cover so no room for an auxiliary tank. We replaced the original tank with a larger 55 gallon tank.  It really helps in stretching out the number of fuel stops when traveling.

Vicki

Remember the added weight of any different / aux tank AND its added weight of fuel will reduce your payload, as Red said.

As Shorts suggested, replacing the tank with a larger tank keeps the bed clean and reduces the likelihood of fuel thefts since it is not visible.

I suggest starting with what you have and see if a change is really needed.  I bet you stop more than once a day to stretch the legs, eat, and respond to nature's call.  Combine these stops with fuel stops.  Slow down to really stretch those fuel dollars and stops.

A Titan tank
https://titanfueltanks.com/

Will double your fuel capacity but the weight of diesel 7.0 lbs per gallon may inhibit your payload
There are also several inbed options

http://www.weatherguard.com/en/products/truck-tool-boxes-equipment/transfer-tanks

These can work with tonneau covers like bakfip as tool box combos or stand alone units but again they may inhibit your payload capacity
Ive sold 100s and 100s that work with tonneau covers its just figuring out your needs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom