Moisture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christy_R

Hi everyone!  I have a question about moisture and mold in our camper.

Two years ago we came in from camping after having the A/C (ceiling unit with high, medium, low, AC or fan controls only) running for a long weekend.  Hubby forgot to crack the windows and parked it in the barn for the winter.  Roll forward to Spring and when it was time to pull it out and get it ready, we found a huge mildew/mold issue inside.  It was everywhere and the smell would run you out after a few minutes.  We cleaned everything we could and sprayed mildew killer on the soft surfaces we could not wash (couch, mattress, etc).  After that I started putting in the Damp-Rid crystal dehumidifiers in it and kept the windows open when not in use.

Flash forward to this year and we just pulled the camper out.  Even with the windows open and the Damp-Rid tubs in use all thru the winter we once again have mildew/mold inside, not as bad as last year but the smell is horrible.  When I open the cabinets in the galley that are not air tight like the inner cabinets the smell is even worse.  And when the A/C thermostat kicks off and its just blowing normal air the smell gets even worse. 

I am about ready to pull the thing to the nearest camper dealership and trade it in Im so aggravated! 

I should mention we live in the deep south where we have very mild winters and very hot and humid summers.  It does stay in the barn and shows no signs of a roof leak.  Our camper is an 2012 Coachman Apex 22' with a 19' box. 

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?  Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

As a Floridian myself, I understand the problem!  Tough to get rid of mold once it has penetrated everywhere.  They make foggers (aka "bombs") with mildew-cides, so that the mist spreads everywhere and soaks into pores and crannies. Might take multiple treatments.

https://dengarden.com/cleaning/Mold-Fogger-Guide-And-Uses

https://www.amazon.com/Biocide-Laboratories-Mold-Fogger-Can/dp/B00FN2C97C

If it's not too bad, how about cleaning as best you can and placing it outside for 3-4 weeks with windows open, fans inside, and plenty of sun. Air & sunshine work pretty well.

Next winter try this:  Button everything up as tight as possible and put in a dehumidifier.  I set mine to 50% humidity and empty the bucket every few days, come spring everything is dry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom