Boondocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandomGuy2

Hello all. First post here, RV noob.

Here's my situation: I'm very susceptible to mold/mildew/anything in the air, and I've been unlucky to find myself in several different apartments where mold was an issue. Yes, I know all about using an air purifier, a dehumidifier, cleaning ductwork, using supplements like quercetin, blah blah blah, but the main issue is dealing with a landlord. Some are helpful, others not so much. I'd rather own something myself, so if there's an issue I can jump on it immediately, and spend as much time as necessary to fix it.

Thus, I'm exploring different living options, including boondocking with an RV. It would be just me, and I don't need much space. Since mold forms when water gets places it shouldn't, I'm looking for RVs that aren't gonna spring leaks whenever a light rainshower passes through. Also, if hardcore cleaning needs to be done, I'd like something that doesn't have a ludicrous design, so I don't have to contort myself like a gymnast to get to the spots I need to get to.

From what I've read, much RV construction is shoddy, with a lot of eye candy thrown out there to hide glaring design flaws. I don't want eye candy - I just want solid construction.

Any recommendations, tips & tricks, etc. you can toss my way is much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid that they all have the potential for issues. Perhaps not so much if you go for the buses for $2-$3 million. Having said that, you might have some luck looking at Airstream. It's got a pretty good reputation. There are tons of other things that need to be considered, though, if you're looking at this as a living quarters, like poor to modest insulation. Remember that they're built for traveling and so some things that are standard in stationary homes, like heavy, solid construction, are not going to be so easy to find in an RV. Full time boondocking has other issues, like water and waste. I recommend reading through lots of the discussions here on the forum in addition to what feedback you get from this preliminary post to get a feel for RV living.
Bob

Welcome to the forum.  :)

Food for thought :

They don't make anything like they used to, so you might consider a restored "vintage" travel trailer. They were built out of metal (not fiberglass) and are generally built very solid. Of course, you could get an unrestored vintage camper, but your sensitivity to mold might be an issue there because many old campers have water damage.

Good luck! 

Hi RandomGuy2... another big welcome to the RVForum. As prfcdoc eluded to, boondocking requires one to always have a handy means of dumping and replenishing their holding tanks. Power usage must be monitored fairly closely, and it's always nice to have alternative sources.

There are weekend boondockers (like us) and there are full time boondockers. Full time boondocking is a lot of work, but it is doable with planning, discipline and practice. However, it in no way precludes one from having a mold or mildew problem. Where you boondock will have an impact (like in Southern Arizona vs. Mississippi) but won't negate it all together.

Kev

Kevin Means said:
Hi RandomGuy2... another big welcome to the RVForum. As prfcdoc eluded to, boondocking requires one to always have a handy means of dumping and replenishing their holding tanks. Power usage must be monitored fairly closely, and it's always nice to have alternative sources.

There are weekend boondockers (like us) and there are full time boondockers. Full time boondocking is a lot of work, but it is doable with planning, discipline and practice. However, it in no way precludes one from having a mold or mildew problem. Where you boondock will have an impact (like in Southern Arizona vs. Mississippi) but won't negate it all together.

Kev

Yeah, I've considered moving to the desert to escape humid conditions. (Currently live in North Carolina.) Plus, can't beat the scenery.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  You have a lot of options to consider!  It appears you can live elsewhere.  Aside from the permanent housing aspect of your decision I wonder if you plan to travel occasionally or it you will be stationary.

If stationary, there are three non-RV types of construction to consider.  One option is a "tiny home" as seen on TV.  It would be built to your specification, usually on a trailer base so it can be moved to a permanent location.  I've seen a couple of tiny homes on TV that were designed to travel, but they seemed way too heavy and unwieldy to be very mobile.  A second option is what we call a park model which is similar to an RV-style trailer but after being built they are permanently placed in one location.  Park models come in various sizes and some have a loft.  A third option is something like a single- or double-wide trailer that is permanently placed in a "trailer park".

If you want mobility, then your options include a motorhome with its own engine or some type of trailer that requires a truck to pull it.  These are both "true" RVs because they are mobile and each has several types.  These are the kinds of RVs you typically see in campgrounds or RV resorts, whereas the previous three types tend to be seen in trailer parks or something similar where people actually live for extended periods.

By the way, you might be interested in knowing that deserts are not mold-free.  Several year ago a subdivision builder in Las Vegas had homeowners suing because their water valves leaked and caused serious mold issues.  Some residents had to move out of their homes because there was so much mold in the ceilings and walls.  I recall seeing pictures on TV and it was really bad, especially because it was the infamous "black mold" which can cause serious health issues.

Finally, you say you want to boondock.  I'm not sure that you mean the same thing we do when we talk about boondocking.  RVers may "boondock" or stay in places where they have no hookups (electric, water, sewer) and we may do that for a period of time (a week or two) but eventually we have to go somewhere to empty waste tanks and fill the fresh water tank.  Some serious boondockers have solar panels and some even have small windmills that provide limited electricity (no air conditioning for example) for lights and other necessities.  More remote areas might not have access to wifi so if computers are important in your life, you'll need to consider communications as well.

We sometimes have folks want to stay in a metropolitan area because of their job but they don't want to rent an apartment so they think they can live on a street somewhere.  Most municipalities frown on living in vehicles on the street and have ordinances against it so these people might have some unanticipated encounters with law enforcement.  The practicalities of such living are difficult at best because most RVs are not built for very cold or very hot weather, you will have to dump waste tanks somewhere, you will have to obtain fresh water somewhere, etc. etc.  In most cases like this I dare say it would be much easier to find one of the aforementioned trailer parks and live there where you can own your own place and have the necessary hookups.

In any case, you'll need to find something well insulated to handle weather variations.  In very cold locales RVs use a lot of propane for heating.  In very hot locales they use a lot of electricity for air conditioning.  The problem is that most RVs are designed for vacationing, not for living fulltime.  You can find some that are adequate in different climates but you'll need to do a lot of studying and looking to find them.  In other words, you have a lot of research ahead of you!

ArdraF

If stationary, there are three non-RV types of construction to consider.  One option is a "tiny home" as seen on TV.  It would be built to your specification, usually on a trailer base so it can be moved to a permanent location.  I've seen a couple of tiny homes on TV that were designed to travel, but they seemed way too heavy and unwieldy to be very mobile.  A second option is what we call a park model which is similar to an RV-style trailer but after being built they are permanently placed in one location.  Park models come in various sizes and some have a loft.  A third option is something like a single- or double-wide trailer that is permanently placed in a "trailer park".

Yes, I'm considering a tiny home as well. Being able to participate in the building process from start to finish is compelling. I could ensure it would be built with high-quality materials instead of crap.

By the way, you might be interested in knowing that deserts are not mold-free.  Several year ago a subdivision builder in Las Vegas had homeowners suing because their water valves leaked and caused serious mold issues.  Some residents had to move out of their homes because there was so much mold in the ceilings and walls.  I recall seeing pictures on TV and it was really bad, especially because it was the infamous "black mold" which can cause serious health issues.

Oh yeah, no place is truly invincible from mold. But the drier air and less rainfall makes a desert more attractive to a mold-sufferer. Of course, then one can become too cocky: "It never rains here. No need to check the roof."

And by boondocking, yes, I would have solar panels, and would plan to stay in state or national parks, and a variety of other places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom