Beginning our RV Search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albert64

As my wife and I begin the search for our first RV I found an ad from a local Ford RV dealership for a 2006 Winnebago View 23J. The engine in this RV is a 2.7L 5 Cylinder diesel. I've never owned a vehicle with a diesel engine before so I don't know much about them, but isn't a 5 Cylinder engine too small for an RV? Even an RV as small as the Winnebago View? I'd like to hear from other Winnebago View owners that have this engine. Thanks!

Not at all. The number of cylinders has little to do with the power produced anyway - my 40 ft, 37,000 lb motorhome was propelled by a 6 cylinder diesel. Diesels produce their full rated horsepower and torque at very low RPMs, so actually accelerate better than gas engines and cruise at lower rpms as well.

Horsepower to weight ratio is the meaningful measure and RVs are considered to be adequately powered with 1 hp per 100 lbs. At 154 hp for a 10,200 lb vehicle (13,700 with max weight toad), the View 23H is well within that target. Nowhere near as lively a performer as your car, which probably carries less than 20 lbs per hp, but still OK.

This RV is on a Sprinter (likely a Dodge 3500 ) truck chassis with a Mercedes diesel. They are about 24 ft in length and are not speed demons on large hills but do run quite well.  Too small?? No, but storage space and extra load capability is not great. Aux power is usually a propane fired generator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye6L6g92C5U

Thanks Gary and Stu, I appreciate your insights on the Winnebago View diesel engine. It is a small rig but I do think it would fit our needs perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom