Shut off for hand held shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Most shut offs you buy don't entirely shut off the flow of water. I think there's some safety thing or something. One of our members posted a link a while back to a shut off valve that shuts off all the flow of water. I just ordered and yes it does shut all the flow. No more dripping.  I would recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Reducing-Controller-Universal-Replacement/dp/B00VCL5DRG

Do you get a blast of really hot or really cold water when you turn it back on?

kdbgoat said:
Do you get a blast of really hot or really cold water when you turn it back on?

Nope. The water stays the same temperature. Now this is in my sticks and bricks not the RV.

Keep in mind if you dont shut off the actual taps, you can get hot and cold mixing in the tap itself. You might go to have a shower inside and find the water luke warm, or hot then cold. Using a secondary shut off for you outside tap can be handy, but you read all the time of people forgetting to shut off the actual taps, and getting the luke warm water inside the camper.

The cutoff reference is exactly what I installed at the base of the hose to my shower wand in my RV.  It works great.  Yes, sometimes I get a short blast of hot water, nothing that ever caused me a concern.  Maybe if I left the water cut off for more than a minute or two it would get hot for longer.

I never did like to waste the water with the cutoffs which don't completely cut off the water.  We do lots of boondocking and dry camping.

here's a pretty good overview of the problem, and a fix....
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-to-fix-the-cold-water-blast-in-your-rv-shower/

blw2 said:
here's a pretty good overview of the problem, and a fix....
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-to-fix-the-cold-water-blast-in-your-rv-shower/

Brad, I'd seen that video before but I watched it again. 3 things I noticed that seemed strange to me.

1) When he had the pressure gage mounted and turned on the cold side, the gage fluctuated between 40 and 55 PSI because he said the pump was cycling. Why would the pump be cycling. There was non water flow.

2) Then he did it on the hot side and the pressure was at about 25 PSI. In this case, the pump was not cycling. Why did it cycle on the cold side but not the hot side,  strange to me.

3) The last thing is I can't understand how the water pressure could be higher on one side than the other side. With the system pressurized by the pump, the pressure should be the same anyplace in the RV  no mater where you took a reading. Now the flow rate or gallons per minute (GPM) could change from side to side because of friction loss if one side had a longer pipe run but the pressure should remain constant on either side with no flow.

I don't believe his test was very accurate but I think just adding the shut off on the hose would have fixed his issue. I use that same valve at my house and there is no temperature difference when the sprayer is turned back on again. So if anyone was going to try and fix their problem, just try the shut off valve first. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, then maybe install a check valve.

I'll have to go back and re-watch it...don't have time at the moment....but I believe I remember that he addressed that in the video.... the shut-off alone won't necessarily fix the whole problem.... you'll still potentially end up with the flash of really hot water when you turn it back on...  I have experienced that first hand with the OEM shower head and shutoff valve.

Back
Top Bottom