Battery Reading Discrepancy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nialltom

I'm sure this is a pretty basic question but I was trying to measure my battery's charge level with my voltmeter and when placing the voltmeter pins on the larger terminals on the battery, I get a reading of 12.43.  Then when I place the pins on the smaller threaded terminals that typically have the load wires screwed on, I get a reading of 12.2.

Both reading were taken with the battery disconnected and no load on it, about a minute apart, on a standard 12v deep cycle.  Why the discrepancy?  Which is the accurate way to take the reading - off the threaded terminals, or the larger ones? 

Take a wire brush or a piece of fine sandpaper/Emory cloth and clean up all of the terminals.  Of course you don't necessarily want to use the sandpaper or Emory cloth on the threaded posts hard enough to damage the threads, but they can be sanded lightly.  Basically anywhere the wires/connectors make contact with the battery terminals........then take another voltage reading.  You should be fine

And BTW.....charge your battery, it's low!

Ok, now I am seeing more consistent readings when I put the pins on the top of the terminals.  I think before I was placing them along the sides.  I also checked to make sure they were clean of debris or dust.  Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom