Another massive slide on CA Hwy 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou Schneider

Site Team
A massive slide this weekend at Mud Creek has buried a 1/3 mile stretch of Hwy 1 south of the Big Sur area with over 40 ft. of rock and dirt.  The new slide is 10 times as large as the one that previously closed the highway at that site.

Highway crews were hoping to re-open that part of Hwy 1 by mid June, but this new slide is so large they have no idea when the road will re-open.

The entire Big Sur area is closed to the public, the only access is via the narrow and winding Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. 

New slide activity at Paul's Slide between N-F Rd. and the town of Big Sur has halted road work there.  Local residents and delivery vehicles had been able to pass through Paul's Slide during a short window once a day, but now access depends on clear visibility and whether the rock falls continue.

Caltrans hopes to finish the Pfieffer Creek Bridge replacement by September, which will allow access from the north into Big Sur.  But this schedule depends on being able to get construction supplies to the site.

In other words, don't plan on visiting Big Sur this year.  It's a real mess up there.

http://www.thebigsurblog.com/  Scroll down the page for some dramatic photos of the slides.

More proof that California is falling into the Pacific  ;D ;D

Wizard46 said:
More proof that California is falling into the Pacific  ;D ;D
That stupid story was circulating in the late 60s when I lived in southern California. So the next time I visited Griffith Park Observatory I asked one of the geologists about that very possibility. He almost choked on his laughter. "That is totally impossible." I have not worried about it since then.

There are parts all along CA Hwy 1 that were chiseled out of the sides of the sea cliffs, and periodically Mother Nature decides to remodel it.

It's all part of the coastal beauty.

On this topic...
We have about 17 days worth of reservations (at Kirk Creek and Plaskett CG) which is between the bridge that is out and this new major slide.  With this new slide at Mud Creek, our only option for getting to these locations is over the notoriously windy/narrow Nacimiento Fergusson Road. 
I'm hoping someone on this forum has traveled this road with a TT.  My total length with truck and 31' TT is 52'.  I've been on some really narrow and windy roads but I'm unfamiliar with this particular road.
Please let me know if you've traveled the Nacimiento Fergusson Road in a large RV...

Safe travels,

Phil & Karen (new members to this forum)

H5-Phil said:
On this topic...
We have about 17 days worth of reservations (at Kirk Creek and Plaskett CG) which is between the bridge that is out and this new major slide.  With this new slide at Mud Creek, our only option for getting to these locations is over the notoriously windy/narrow Nacimiento Fergusson Road. 
I'm hoping someone on this forum has traveled this road with a TT.  My total length with truck and 31' TT is 52'.  I've been on some really narrow and windy roads but I'm unfamiliar with this particular road.
Please let me know if you've traveled the Nacimiento Fergusson Road in a large RV...

I was on it 20 years ago in a 21 ft. motorhome as a support vehicle for a long distance bicycle ride.  Don't try it.

It's essentially a one lane road.  See this photo of the one of the construction convoys (which closed the road while they proceeded through) and judge for yourself (photo is from the blog I referenced above)

https://blogbigsur.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/image0042.png

Contact the campgrounds and see if they're even open.  I'm sure the local residents who are forced to rely on this road would prefer you stay away.

re/  California falling into the Pacific.

Since the last election...I think Hollywood and Frisco would be happier if it broke off.   

hmm... that could be a win/win for everybody.  ;)

H5-Phil said:
On this topic...

Safe travels,

Phil & Karen (new members to this forum)

I've been over it several times, once in a Miata and the rest of the times in a pickup truck.  It can be done but you need to be very cautious. I'd call the campgrounds and get their opinion.
If you do decide to go you MUST have your proof of insurance with you as you go through Hunter Liggett  and the military insist on seeing your paperwork. So make sure all your vehicle paperwork is in order.

Lou,

Yes, the campgrounds are open.  I made reservations this morning so I could make the 5-hour drive (without TT) in early June to check the road conditions for myself - well in advance of our reservations in mid-jury.  If I do find that the road is beyond my ability and/or that of my rig, I'll change my plans.
Tourist-based businesses may disagree with you that we should all "stay away".  I'm sure they are losing enough money as it is. 
I'm pretty sure if TPTB decide only residents should be allowed over the Nacimiento Fergusson road, the public will be notified and signs posted.

Phil

Lou Schneider said:
I was on it 20 years ago in a 21 ft. motorhome as a support vehicle for a long distance bicycle ride.  Don't try it.

It's essentially a one lane road.  See this photo of the one of the construction convoys (which closed the road while they proceeded through) and judge for yourself (photo is from the blog I referenced above)

https://blogbigsur.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/image0042.png

Contact the campgrounds and see if they're even open.  I'm sure the local residents who are forced to rely on this road would prefer you stay away.

SeilerBird said:
That stupid story was circulating in the late 60s when I lived in southern California. So the next time I visited Griffith Park Observatory I asked one of the geologists about that very possibility. He almost choked on his laughter. "That is totally impossible." I have not worried about it since then.
Geologists say in about a million years, Los Angeles will be somewhere near Anchorage Alaska, not in the pacific lol.

I would be much nicer it the people responding to the original question would stay on topic and reply to the original question rather than to respond with comments pro and con about California falling into the ocean or other comments. 

It would be "friendlier" if everyone stayed on topic!

Dream on.  As long as I've been on this forum (about 20 years) people have been making stereotypical derogatory comments about California.  Boring, boring, boring, but they don't realize that.  They think they're clever and insightful.

Born and raised in CA (now live elsewhere). Don't take it personally folks, it's an old joke. Let's not get too serious.  :D

Right!  What Sun2Retire said.  I got used to it a long time ago.  It's harmless and not worth worrying about.

I was born in Los Angeles in 1963.  I still love to visit, but wouldn't go back to live for love nor money.  The jokes have been going around as long as I can remember. 

even with all of it's problems...

I will gladly trade living with all the blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail storms, heat, humidity, mosquitoes, alligators, sink holes etc. the other states have........  for living in paradise with a wacky governor and an occasional earthquake.
:)

Back
Top Bottom