EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Sour lemonade  (Read 8814 times)

alan6051964

• ---
Re: Sour lemonade
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »
Shouldn't there be insulation here??
yes, there should be insulation there. side to side, front to back. my guess is, whoever worked on it before you ?, musta felt like not putting it back in. I installed all new pink r-13 in my roof. it's made for walls, as most walls are 3 1/2 thick, so this turned out great for my roof. if I had to guess ?, I would say I got better insulation in my roof now..then when it left the factory !..lol.
1992 22ft Fleetwood wilderness TT

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
yes, there should be insulation there. side to side, front to back. my guess is, whoever worked on it before you ?, musta felt like not putting it back in. I installed all new pink r-13 in my roof. it's made for walls, as most walls are 3 1/2 thick, so this turned out great for my roof. if I had to guess ?, I would say I got better insulation in my roof now..then when it left the factory !..lol.

The only thing I can think of it was wet and they took the insulation out,than left the rotten plywood in.If the SOB that sold me the camper did this there is a special place in Hell for him. Do I think he did these "repairs" ? No but he knew the condition of it when he bought it. I'm not good but whoever work on it should not be allowed to reproduce. I did get one corner repaired and part of the other side. I have to be careful not to demo more than I can fix at a time. I'm not good at figuring how things should be. I do understand that the aluminum edges have to meet closely so that's what I focous on. I had to order the roof cement so I'm waiting to replace the bad plywood section.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:38:41 PM by Modeladay »

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2017, 11:43:18 PM »
One would sure think so. I haven't taken the roof apart on any of my RVs except when I changed the skylight in my TC. There was insulation between the roof and the ceiling panels.
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2017, 06:02:36 AM »
The only thing I can think of it was wet and they took the insulation out,than left the rotten plywood in.If the SOB that sold me the camper did this there is a special place in Hell for him. Do I think he did these "repairs" ? No but he knew the condition of it when he bought it. I'm not good but whoever work on it should not be allowed to reproduce. I did get one corner repaired and part of the other side. I have to be careful not to demo more than I can fix at a time. I'm not good at figuring how things should be. I do understand that the aluminum edges have to meet closely so that's what I focous on. I had to order the roof cement so I'm waiting to replace the bad plywood section.
any chance you happened to look at the front roof when you was working on that part of the camper to see if insulation was in that section ?.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
any chance you happened to look at the front roof when you was working on that part of the camper to see if insulation was in that section ?.

Nope, the roof was was solid so I did not dig into it. When I peel off the damaged rear section I should be able to look further in and see if there is any there. If there not could the factory just skip that part🤔 It wouldn't surprise me🙂

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »
Nope, the roof was was solid so I did not dig into it. When I peel off the damaged rear section I should be able to look further in and see if there is any there. If there not could the factory just skip that part🤔 It wouldn't surprise me🙂
no, they would not skip that part..lol. pretty much every camper built back then, and today, has insulation put in the roof from front to back. kinda cheesy insulation ?, but there is insulation put in the roofs.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »
Having a hard time finding 3/8s OSB???? for the roof. Also was told that the wood has to be wet in order to bend the wood to conform to the roll of the roof???

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »
I can't believe that arch requires wet wood to bend.  I  don't have much experience with OSB other then using it  for sheathing. Maybe it won't bend much because of the glue.   I would be looking a 3/8 ply if it measures up. That should bend just fine. Just go to Home Depot.  Most of their wood will already be curved beyond what you need. :D 

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »
I can't believe that arch requires wet wood to bend.  I  don't have much experience with OSB other then using it  for sheathing. Maybe it won't bend much because of the glue.   I would be looking a 3/8 ply if it measures up. That should bend just fine. Just go to Home Depot.  Most of their wood will already be curved beyond what you need. :D

😀 I was just there and you are right, you think plywood would be ok? I read somewhere that it would be more prone to warping???

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
Like I mentioned before, have you looked at oiled or tempered masonite?? Plywood would work just fine, my father rebuilt a trailer years ago with plywood. I had masonite sheets left over off a construction job and laid them on the ground to store materials on, they lasted for almost two years.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2017, 08:28:33 AM »
😀 I was just there and you are right, you think plywood would be ok? I read somewhere that it would be more prone to warping???

So long as it can be fastened securely and matches I would use plywood.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2017, 12:02:34 PM »
Look what arrived today

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
We use a product called wiggle wood for carpentry. It will bend over a pretty tight radius. We do a lot of radius stuff. You can buy it with the grain either direction. ie it will bend long way, or side ways. You might have to order it from a lumber store. We get it through our regular lumber supplier. Here is a link to the product. https://www.andersonplywood.com/410/bending-boards-shape-forming-panels/ 

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
Here is a utube tutorial of someone showing you how bendable plywood works. Good luck.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c30fwtSCvuA

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
Here is a utube tutorial of someone showing you how bendable plywood works. Good luck.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c30fwtSCvuA

That stuff is cool, I wonder though if it has any strength if your standing on it? 

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2017, 07:52:30 PM »
Coming along, I've reenforced the somewhat damaged truss , redid the top and bottom corners so that there is something to attach the aluminum to. Reframed the hot water tank opening. Still have a lot of adding new studs to reinforce the interior wall. 

muskoka guy

• ---
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
Coming along, I've reenforced the somewhat damaged truss , redid the top and bottom corners so that there is something to attach the aluminum to. Reframed the hot water tank opening. Still have a lot of adding new studs to reinforce the interior wall.
We use it to sheet roofs that are on eye brow dormers on fancy houses. Easy to bend over the radius of the roof. We do circular entries and barrel framing with it as well. Any place where we cant bend regular plywood.

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
Your persistence and tenacity are admirable!! Its looking good.
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Merdian
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
Your persistence and tenacity are admirable!! Its looking good.

Thank you, I think I have over come all the difficult construction, I have the whole thing framed in and  now just reinforcing the wall. Than I will have too tackle the roof, the big thing is that all the aluminum fits back with the proper edge and the hot water tank fits back in its hole Good news is I got the wife out to look for a new mattress for the bed
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:04:31 PM by Modeladay »

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Ok, finshed up the back wall and frame now on to the small section on the roof.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
Ok, finshed up the back wall and frame now on to the small section on the roof.

Pictures look identical except for a little shading on the 1st one.  ;D :D ;)
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Nicely done. You're almost there! Then you get to go camping. I am sooo impressed with your work.
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »
Nicely done. You're almost there! Then you get to go camping. I am sooo impressed with your work.

Thank you, still a ways to go but I can see the light at the end of the rot I still got to test fit the hot water tank but it should be fine. I paid close attention to clearances so the aluminum edges go back together with the right gap. Only time will tell how bad I might have screwed up Anyway I have to climb on the roof to repair that and at 64 years old I'm not looking forward to that.

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »
Looking great !!!. don't forget to drill holes in your new wall studs in the back for all your light wires :-). other than this ?, I think your doing a wonderful job !. it's not as bad as you thought huh ?. as for the 3/8 osb ?, just use 3/8 plywood, if you use good wood screws for outdoors ?, it should bend, and hold great, don't worry about it bending...it will bend just fine. I used liquid nails on my roof trusses, wood screws, worked great so far. I've had a lot of rain here in Arkansas lately, and no leaks yet ? ( knocks on head )...lol. keep it up, your doing great, saving money, and your learning the in's and out's of campers !.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2017, 11:39:38 AM »
Looking great !!!. don't forget to drill holes in your new wall studs in the back for all your light wires :-). other than this ?, I think your doing a wonderful job !. it's not as bad as you thought huh ?. as for the 3/8 osb ?, just use 3/8 plywood, if you use good wood screws for outdoors ?, it should bend, and hold great, don't worry about it bending...it will bend just fine. I used liquid nails on my roof trusses, wood screws, worked great so far. I've had a lot of rain here in Arkansas lately, and no leaks yet ? ( knocks on head )...lol. keep it up, your doing great, saving money, and your learning the in's and out's of campers !.
[/quote

I did go with 3/8s plywood and I'm using decking screws. I started with liquid nails and found this glue from LOCTITE that seems much better. If I looked at all that had to be done I don't know if I could have done it. I focused on one small thing at a time and did not dwell on the things that I thought I could not do. When I got to the things I thought were difficult I was able to sort it out. I think I will have less than $500 in material. I got one estimate and he said it would probably exceed $3000 , nether one of us thought it would be as bad as it was so it would have been much more. Having said that could a pro done better? Yes but I feel it is structurally strong. Yes I have learned a lot, I now look at RV ads and many times can ID leaks by just looking at the pictures   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 11:41:44 AM by Modeladay »

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
Having said that could a pro done better?

Meh unlikely.  Of course time will tell, and I'm sure some RV repair persons are really good, but most are just hacks that charge a lot to deal with someone else's headaches.

I'm glad you decided to deal with this yourself.  You will be far more confident with the repairs, know where you cut a few corners, and be able to deal with other issues down the road.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2017, 07:22:10 PM »
Nothing like knowing the guy personally when it goes wrong😁 Got the roof panel on tonight and will glue the roof down tomorrow.

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2017, 07:58:55 PM »
Errr I would do something about the knot.  I presume you flipped it best side up.  Sanded ply may be a better fit for this purpose.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2017, 10:15:19 PM »
Errr I would do something about the knot.  I presume you flipped it best side up.  Sanded ply may be a better fit for this purpose.

Yea I did, considering what OSB looks like I didn't think it would be a problem. I might use some wood puddy to fill the knots. At any rate it is staying

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »
Look at this,  the screws were meant to be driven into the plywood to hold something from inside, they missed. This is the kind of hapless construction factories do

Hosted by Over The Network