Sour lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Modeladay said:
Shouldn't there be insulation here??
yes, there should be insulation there. side to side, front to back. my guess is, whoever worked on it before you ?, musta felt like not putting it back in. I installed all new pink r-13 in my roof. it's made for walls, as most walls are 3 1/2 thick, so this turned out great for my roof. if I had to guess ?, I would say I got better insulation in my roof now..then when it left the factory !..lol.

alan6051964 said:
yes, there should be insulation there. side to side, front to back. my guess is, whoever worked on it before you ?, musta felt like not putting it back in. I installed all new pink r-13 in my roof. it's made for walls, as most walls are 3 1/2 thick, so this turned out great for my roof. if I had to guess ?, I would say I got better insulation in my roof now..then when it left the factory !..lol.

The only thing I can think of it was wet and they took the insulation out,than left the rotten plywood in.If the SOB that sold me the camper did this there is a special place in Hell for him. Do I think he did these "repairs" ? No but he knew the condition of it when he bought it. I'm not good but whoever work on it should not be allowed to reproduce. I did get one corner repaired and part of the other side. I have to be careful not to demo more than I can fix at a time. I'm not good at figuring how things should be. I do understand that the aluminum edges have to meet closely so that's what I focous on. I had to order the roof cement so I'm waiting to replace the bad plywood section.

One would sure think so. I haven't taken the roof apart on any of my RVs except when I changed the skylight in my TC. There was insulation between the roof and the ceiling panels.

Modeladay said:
The only thing I can think of it was wet and they took the insulation out,than left the rotten plywood in.If the SOB that sold me the camper did this there is a special place in Hell for him. Do I think he did these "repairs" ? No but he knew the condition of it when he bought it. I'm not good but whoever work on it should not be allowed to reproduce. I did get one corner repaired and part of the other side. I have to be careful not to demo more than I can fix at a time. I'm not good at figuring how things should be. I do understand that the aluminum edges have to meet closely so that's what I focous on. I had to order the roof cement so I'm waiting to replace the bad plywood section.
any chance you happened to look at the front roof when you was working on that part of the camper to see if insulation was in that section ?.

alan6051964 said:
any chance you happened to look at the front roof when you was working on that part of the camper to see if insulation was in that section ?.

Nope, the roof was was solid so I did not dig into it. When I peel off the damaged rear section I should be able to look further in and see if there is any there. If there not could the factory just skip that part? It wouldn't surprise me?

Modeladay said:
Nope, the roof was was solid so I did not dig into it. When I peel off the damaged rear section I should be able to look further in and see if there is any there. If there not could the factory just skip that part? It wouldn't surprise me?
no, they would not skip that part..lol. pretty much every camper built back then, and today, has insulation put in the roof from front to back. kinda cheesy insulation ?, but there is insulation put in the roofs.

Having a hard time finding 3/8s OSB???? for the roof. Also was told that the wood has to be wet in order to bend the wood to conform to the roll of the roof???

I can't believe that arch requires wet wood to bend.  I  don't have much experience with OSB other then using it  for sheathing. Maybe it won't bend much because of the glue.  I would be looking a 3/8 ply if it measures up. That should bend just fine. Just go to Home Depot.  Most of their wood will already be curved beyond what you need. :D 

Gods Country said:
I can't believe that arch requires wet wood to bend.  I  don't have much experience with OSB other then using it  for sheathing. Maybe it won't bend much because of the glue.  I would be looking a 3/8 ply if it measures up. That should bend just fine. Just go to Home Depot.  Most of their wood will already be curved beyond what you need. :D

? I was just there and you are right, you think plywood would be ok? I read somewhere that it would be more prone to warping???

Like I mentioned before, have you looked at oiled or tempered masonite?? Plywood would work just fine, my father rebuilt a trailer years ago with plywood. I had masonite sheets left over off a construction job and laid them on the ground to store materials on, they lasted for almost two years.

Modeladay said:
? I was just there and you are right, you think plywood would be ok? I read somewhere that it would be more prone to warping???

So long as it can be fastened securely and matches I would use plywood.

Look what arrived today

Attachments

• RenderedContent-DC414024-1913-4EE7-9849-E94B5010AFD5.JPG
    RenderedContent-DC414024-1913-4EE7-9849-E94B5010AFD5.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 86
We use a product called wiggle wood for carpentry. It will bend over a pretty tight radius. We do a lot of radius stuff. You can buy it with the grain either direction. ie it will bend long way, or side ways. You might have to order it from a lumber store. We get it through our regular lumber supplier. Here is a link to the product. https://www.andersonplywood.com/410/bending-boards-shape-forming-panels/ 

muskoka guy said:
Here is a utube tutorial of someone showing you how bendable plywood works. Good luck.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c30fwtSCvuA

That stuff is cool, I wonder though if it has any strength if your standing on it? 

Coming along, I've reenforced the somewhat damaged truss , redid the top and bottom corners so that there is something to attach the aluminum to. Reframed the hot water tank opening. Still have a lot of adding new studs to reinforce the interior wall. 

Attachments

• RenderedContent-6ED42EFA-157E-4AC4-8C80-B94622323BDF.JPG
    RenderedContent-6ED42EFA-157E-4AC4-8C80-B94622323BDF.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 88
  • RenderedContent-950CFA2C-48D6-4115-A2A9-58BA19F30D76.JPG
    RenderedContent-950CFA2C-48D6-4115-A2A9-58BA19F30D76.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 74
Modeladay said:
Coming along, I've reenforced the somewhat damaged truss , redid the top and bottom corners so that there is something to attach the aluminum to. Reframed the hot water tank opening. Still have a lot of adding new studs to reinforce the interior wall.
We use it to sheet roofs that are on eye brow dormers on fancy houses. Easy to bend over the radius of the roof. We do circular entries and barrel framing with it as well. Any place where we cant bend regular plywood.

ClickHill said:
Your persistence and tenacity are admirable!! Its looking good.

Thank you, I think I have over come all the difficult construction, I have the whole thing framed in and  now just reinforcing the wall. Than I will have too tackle the roof, the big thing is that all the aluminum fits back with the proper edge and the hot water tank fits back in its hole Good news is I got the wife out to look for a new mattress for the bed

Ok, finshed up the back wall and frame now on to the small section on the roof.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-740CC968-1E1A-4678-B186-7B4141BB0815.JPG
    RenderedContent-740CC968-1E1A-4678-B186-7B4141BB0815.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 75
  • RenderedContent-6BB97342-8AFB-4C68-BC52-A9C1CF0C3F90.JPG
    RenderedContent-6BB97342-8AFB-4C68-BC52-A9C1CF0C3F90.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 78

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501