Sour lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Punomatic said:
Nicely done. You're almost there! Then you get to go camping. I am sooo impressed with your work.

Thank you, still a ways to go but I can see the light at the end of the rot I still got to test fit the hot water tank but it should be fine. I paid close attention to clearances so the aluminum edges go back together with the right gap. Only time will tell how bad I might have screwed up Anyway I have to climb on the roof to repair that and at 64 years old I'm not looking forward to that.

Looking great !!!. don't forget to drill holes in your new wall studs in the back for all your light wires :). other than this ?, I think your doing a wonderful job !. it's not as bad as you thought huh ?. as for the 3/8 osb ?, just use 3/8 plywood, if you use good wood screws for outdoors ?, it should bend, and hold great, don't worry about it bending...it will bend just fine. I used liquid nails on my roof trusses, wood screws, worked great so far. I've had a lot of rain here in Arkansas lately, and no leaks yet ? ( knocks on head )...lol. keep it up, your doing great, saving money, and your learning the in's and out's of campers !.

alan6051964 said:
Looking great !!!. don't forget to drill holes in your new wall studs in the back for all your light wires :). other than this ?, I think your doing a wonderful job !. it's not as bad as you thought huh ?. as for the 3/8 osb ?, just use 3/8 plywood, if you use good wood screws for outdoors ?, it should bend, and hold great, don't worry about it bending...it will bend just fine. I used liquid nails on my roof trusses, wood screws, worked great so far. I've had a lot of rain here in Arkansas lately, and no leaks yet ? ( knocks on head )...lol. keep it up, your doing great, saving money, and your learning the in's and out's of campers !.
[/quote

I did go with 3/8s plywood and I'm using decking screws. I started with liquid nails and found this glue from LOCTITE that seems much better. If I looked at all that had to be done I don't know if I could have done it. I focused on one small thing at a time and did not dwell on the things that I thought I could not do. When I got to the things I thought were difficult I was able to sort it out. I think I will have less than $500 in material. I got one estimate and he said it would probably exceed $3000 , nether one of us thought it would be as bad as it was so it would have been much more. Having said that could a pro done better? Yes but I feel it is structurally strong. Yes I have learned a lot, I now look at RV ads and many times can ID leaks by just looking at the pictures 

Modeladay said:
Having said that could a pro done better?

Meh unlikely.  Of course time will tell, and I'm sure some RV repair persons are really good, but most are just hacks that charge a lot to deal with someone else's headaches.

I'm glad you decided to deal with this yourself.  You will be far more confident with the repairs, know where you cut a few corners, and be able to deal with other issues down the road.

Nothing like knowing the guy personally when it goes wrong? Got the roof panel on tonight and will glue the roof down tomorrow.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-A47C6CBE-5B9A-441D-92E6-9D064C9403EB.JPG
    RenderedContent-A47C6CBE-5B9A-441D-92E6-9D064C9403EB.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 78
Gods Country said:
Errr I would do something about the knot.  I presume you flipped it best side up.  Sanded ply may be a better fit for this purpose.

Yea I did, considering what OSB looks like I didn't think it would be a problem. I might use some wood puddy to fill the knots. At any rate it is staying

Look at this,  the screws were meant to be driven into the plywood to hold something from inside, they missed. This is the kind of hapless construction factories do

Attachments

• RenderedContent-250487A1-73E5-4462-A094-D66645C9A368.JPG
    RenderedContent-250487A1-73E5-4462-A094-D66645C9A368.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 85
Modeladay said:
Nothing like knowing the guy personally when it goes wrong? Got the roof panel on tonight and will glue the roof down tomorrow.

I would also countersink ther screws a little deeper and fill the holes with putty. You don't want them touching the roofing material and eventually breaking through.

Rene T said:
I would also countersink ther screws a little deeper and fill the holes with putty. You don't want them touching the roofing material and eventually breaking through.

Thanks, they may not look it based on the photo but they are deep. Factory did the same on the side that butts up to the next panel but used nails for the rest?

Nearing the end? I hope everything fits back together and I can get all the lights to work

Attachments

• RenderedContent-DF61C81D-6145-4B3E-B293-0142CFB3A275.JPG
    RenderedContent-DF61C81D-6145-4B3E-B293-0142CFB3A275.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 99
Rene T said:
Try the lights now before you put it all back together.

Sense the lights are attached to the aluminum I will have to at least temporarily hang the aluminum. Yes I could just meter them out but with so many wires that interconnect I think everything will be needed to be attached to complete circuits.

The aluminum is only the ground. Just run a temporary ground and test each light.  Or get a test light. If you don't test them somehow and you put everything back together, you're going to kick your butt when you have to take it all apart to fix one light.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k-tool-international-6-or-12v-circuit-tester-with-48-leads-kti72770/

Gods Country said:
So did the floor turn out to be OK?

The rear corner under the shower was gone, it amounted to less than a half a square ft. Sense it was under the shower and you would never walk on it I left it as it was. The shower enclosure sits on a wooden raised base which sits on the trailer's steel frame for support so the bad corner was of no concern.

I realize it's been a lot of work, but that was some real luck that the floor is OK considering the amount of damage.

Looks like you will be RVing soon! :))

Gods Country said:
I realize it's been a lot of work, but that was some real luck that the floor is OK considering the amount of damage.

Looks like you will be RVing soon! :))

Yea, the roof panel I replaced had far more damage, I think I would have quit if there was extensive floor damage. My goal was the make it structurally sound so everything would tie back together. Its amazing how much damage water can do and as in the front it was the aluminum edge covering that leaked. I hope using the Seal-Tite tape and the Dicor sealant it will keep it dry. The rubber roof never give out it was just the sealants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom