Sour lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably 1/4" Luan (Loo-wan) plywood.  You can get it at any lumber yard.  Lowes and Home Depot sell full sheets or smaller pieces.

kdbgoat said:
Looking at that pic, it looks like the studs survived.

They certainly do appear to be good.  That would be good news.

Unfortunately you may have to replace it with more luan depending on what needs to get matched up.

The wood on the bad corner is gone from top to bottom, I started replacing everything on the bad corner and I got the hardest piece done. The other side is in good shape but I have to reproduce this part. I pulled the center one to use it as a template.

Attachments

• RenderedContent-850D31CC-47E0-415D-907E-0401ECEDD700.JPG
    RenderedContent-850D31CC-47E0-415D-907E-0401ECEDD700.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 171
  • RenderedContent-21FCF782-8C1C-4469-8968-020838985A4A.JPG
    RenderedContent-21FCF782-8C1C-4469-8968-020838985A4A.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 143
Gods Country said:
They certainly do appear to be good.  That would be good news.

Unfortunately you may have to replace it with more luan depending on what needs to get matched up.

Luan appears to be there just to hold the insulation in place. I'm going to use Styrofoam insulation that I will
glue in place. Would I really need the luan?

The luan is likely holding the form and adding integrity to the front by tying everything together.  I would replace it with something stronger, but if  the thickness is increased it will push the siding forward enough that the corners and edges won't match...possibly.  Hard to say without seeing it.  You need something.  One thing is certain the trailer mfg's won't spend 10 cents on something if it were not necessary.

Modeladay said:
If I am able to left the side bottom aluminum away from the camper can I get at the staples and take the membrane loose that way without cutting into it?
if you have to replace a bottom wall stud that sits on top of the membrane ?, you may have to cut it ?, they put the membrane on first, then set the walls and floor joist on top of that. you can try to replace the wall studs without cutting the membrane ?, but you will need to remove the siding from the outside in order to get to it, or the inside if it's damaged ?. either way, it can be done. the biggest problem you will face ?, is if you have any large lumber that has bolts going through it, and it is attached to the frame , and is bad ?, then you will either have to work from the floor inside ( best if your replacing the floor decking ), or, you cut the membrane from under the camper to get to this lumber. this is what I faced on a few spots on the front of my camper. I had some lumber that had bolts through them, and they bolted through the membrane, so, in order to replace them, I had to cut the membrane out, get the damaged lumber out, replace it, new bolts, taped the membrane back up with black gorilla tape, seems to be holding great so far. this all will depend on where, how yours is damaged ?, then you can decide if you have to cut the membrane ?.

Modeladay said:
So far, yuk!  What is the outside material called and where can I get it. Looks like a very thin plywood
luan, home depot, or lowes, about 20 something dollars a sheet, roughly about 3/16's thick ?, just ask for 1/4 luan, they will point you to it :).

just want to add, your doing a great job so far !. I looked at the front you tore apart, well done !. its not as bad as you thought huh ?. it does take a lot of your time..that's for sure !. keep at it, lots of great folks here to lend a few words of advice :).

alan6051964 said:
just want to add, your doing a great job so far !. I looked at the front you tore apart, well done !. its not as bad as you thought huh ?. it does take a lot of your time..that's for sure !. keep at it, lots of great folks here to lend a few words of advice :).

Yes and no

Attachments

• RenderedContent-A75F5C45-09EE-40A8-887D-ED4545CA554C.JPG
    RenderedContent-A75F5C45-09EE-40A8-887D-ED4545CA554C.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 187
  • RenderedContent-80D9B8EF-6F8A-4820-8A13-8BD422CCBA08.JPG
    RenderedContent-80D9B8EF-6F8A-4820-8A13-8BD422CCBA08.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 168
  • RenderedContent-7B53D85A-7C3A-473B-8189-18AA99C3C4BF.JPG
    RenderedContent-7B53D85A-7C3A-473B-8189-18AA99C3C4BF.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 166
Wow what a project well done for taking it on. Good luck with the completion, you're doing a great job so far.

You are doing good on your project! Way to go! Looks like you're going to have a great camper when it's done.  Keep it up!
Side note: Make sure to use a mask if you're getting into any mold. They had some in the paint section at Home Depot for around $22-26?

You will be happy with yourself after you get this done and on the road. The sense of accomplishment is wonderful and you will appreciate this camper (it's probably hard right now).

We even have a lemon sticker on the back window now...it says 'Easy Peasy' and a lemon underneath.  :)

Modeladay said:
Luan appears to be there just to hold the insulation in place. I'm going to use Styrofoam insulation that I will
glue in place. Would I really need the luan?

Have you considered using tempered masonite, some call it oiled hardboard? Tempered masonite has a linseed oil coating that is baked on and makes it water resistant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard

Modeladay said:
Yes and no
I had just about as much damage to mine, IF NOT WORSE !?!. just think of how much cash your saving, by doing it yourself ! :). it's not hard to do, it just takes a lot of your time, this much I know for a fact. we are not some factory with a dozen workers stapling it together in a few min's ?, we are people that take our time, and make sure its done right...well..we try ?!..lol. I think your doing a wonderful job so far, get-r-done !.

As you are removing the skin do check the floor.  Be sure it's intact.

Is everything you are finding still dry?  Looks it.
I would take that as a good sign. 

Hey take what you can get. ;D

alan6051964 said:
I had just about as much damage to mine, IF NOT WORSE !?!. just think of how much cash your saving, by doing it yourself ! :). it's not hard to do, it just takes a lot of your time, this much I know for a fact. we are not some factory with a dozen workers stapling it together in a few min's ?, we are people that take our time, and make sure its done right...well..we try ?!..lol. I think your doing a wonderful job so far, get-r-done !.
[/quote

I never seen so many staples, there where many places the had 3 or more staples in an area the size of a dime.

Gods Country said:
As you are removing the skin do check the floor.  Be sure it's intact.

Is everything you are finding still dry?  Looks it.
I would take that as a good sign. 

Hey take what you can get. ;D

In my first post I indicated that about 3ft of the floor in the very front had damage and the someone had put new plywood over the bad floor.  It is solid and sense it is under the back of the bed and just a storage area I was going to just live with that. Yes it was all dry so they did get the leaks stop. I hope I can get it back together again and leak free. I did order the corner seal tape , they also recommended chalking the edge corners over the tape what kind of chalk should I use?

Modeladay said:
In my first post I indicated that about 3ft of the floor in the very front had damage and the someone had put new plywood over the bad floor.  It is solid and sense it is under the back of the bed and just a storage area I was going to just live with that. Yes it was all dry so they did get the leaks stop. I hope I can get it back together again and leak free. I did order the corner seal tape , they also recommended chalking the edge corners over the tape what kind of chalk should I use?

I think you mean caulk.

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
You are doing good on your project! Way to go! Looks like you're going to have a great camper when it's done.  Keep it up!
Side note: Make sure to use a mask if you're getting into any mold. They had some in the paint section at Home Depot for around $22-26?

You will be happy with yourself after you get this done and on the road. The sense of accomplishment is wonderful and you will appreciate this camper (it's probably hard right now).

We even have a lemon sticker on the back window now...it says 'Easy Peasy' and a lemon underneath.  :)

Thanks, I put in about ten hours yesterday, there does not appear to be any mold as they did get the leaks stop a longtime ago and its now bone dry. I don't know how great my repairs will be as I am taking some liberties but maybe it will be strong enough to keep the aluminum from flying off in the breeze?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom