Sour lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You pretty much need to use lap sealant and putty tape everywhere.  Nothing else seems to stick well in my experience.  Don't use silicone.  The lap sealant is very sticky so wear vinyl gloves.

Modeladay said:
Luan appears to be there just to hold the insulation in place. I'm going to use Styrofoam insulation that I will
glue in place. Would I really need the luan?

Luan will tie everything together and add a lot of structural integrity.  I'd replace with luan, glued and screwed.

Yep, my brother who I would call a master carpenter told me the same. He had a good explanation, that cheap furniture you buy wobbles all over the place until you stick that piece cardboard on the back. Found it at Lowes tonight. If you wondering why he is not helping he lives in West Virginia and I'm here in good ole Georgia.

dicor non-sagging sealant is what you need down the edge of your j-rails. dicor self leveling is what you will need for the top front cover trim, the trim that covers the siding, then laps on the roof. as your putting the j-rails back on, run putty tape, or butyl tape on the back side, followed up with the dicor non sagging sealant.

Modeladay said:
alan6051964 said:
I had just about as much damage to mine, IF NOT WORSE !?!. just think of how much cash your saving, by doing it yourself ! :). it's not hard to do, it just takes a lot of your time, this much I know for a fact. we are not some factory with a dozen workers stapling it together in a few min's ?, we are people that take our time, and make sure its done right...well..we try ?!..lol. I think your doing a wonderful job so far, get-r-done !.
[/quote

I never seen so many staples, there where many places the had 3 or more staples in an area the size of a dime.
lol, yeah, they sure know how to use that staple gun huh ?..lol. I know what your saying !. seen it for myself a few times..lol.

alan6051964 said:
dicor non-sagging sealant is what you need down the edge of your j-rails. dicor self leveling is what you will need for the top front cover trim, the trim that covers the siding, then laps on the roof. as your putting the j-rails back on, run putty tape, or butyl tape on the back side, followed up with the dicor non sagging sealant.

Where can I find this sealant? Do I have to order online? I ordered seal tite corner seal and I would use this stuff in combination with that? Thanks

Modeladay said:
Where can I find this sealant? Do I have to order online? I ordered seal tite corner seal and I would use this stuff in combination with that? Thanks
I purchased all mine from a local rv dealer ship I buy from. they are around 9 dollars a tube ?, but worth it in my book. yes, you can use this to go with your seal tite product. I used buytal tape, and non sag dicro on all my j-rail corners. I also replaced every rusted square screw ( hate those ! ), with all stainless steel screws every place I could !. no more rusting screws. you can buy the dicor sealant from ebay.

I have reconstructed the bad corner , unfortunately I  had to take back apart because I did not pay attention to the excat angles. The aluminum would not have lined up right, I saw what I did wrong and  the aluminum follows perfectly  down the side. I had to guess at how it all fit because all the wood that was there was basically gone and I did not want to pull the good side a part to have a look there. Not being a great carpenter and the fact I hillbilly engineered it does not look factory neat but it is strong as hell and it appears it will work.

I have to cut out the half moon brace that forms the curve in the aluminum than I can insulate and cover it. The good side for whatever reason the bottom frame board on the end is gone so I'm going to try and cut away the bad and fit a new section in there.

Modeladay said:
I have reconstructed the bad corner , unfortunately I  had to take back apart because I did not pay attention to the excat angles. The aluminum would not have lined up right, I saw what I did wrong and  the aluminum follows perfectly  down the side. I had to guess at how it all fit because all the wood that was there was basically gone and I did not want to pull the good side a part to have a look there. Not being a great carpenter and the fact I hillbilly engineered it does not look factory neat but it is strong as hell and it appears it will work.

I have to cut out the half moon brace that forms the curve in the aluminum than I can insulate and cover it. The good side for whatever reason the bottom frame board on the end is gone so I'm going to try and cut away the bad and fit a new section in there.
I also had the problem of the paint lines, and pattern lining up perfect after I rebuilt my front , and front sides, I had no angles to go by ?, other than the aluminum siding cut ?, so I used that to go by on the corner angles. did the best I could, I think it will live. as for those round parts ?, yeah, as long as you have one good one to use as a pattern ?, your ok. I lucked out on my roof rafters, I had one good one left, I used it for a pattern to cut new rafters. word of caution !, do not use any sheet rock screws to attach any siding !!!. sheet rock screws will corrode aluminum siding, at least it did on mine ?, I then used wood screws made for outdoor weather where ever I attached wood to wood, then stapled the siding to the wood frame. when I attached all my j-rails, I used stainless steel screws. 

alan6051964 said:
I also had the problem of the paint lines, and pattern lining up perfect after I rebuilt my front , and front sides, I had no angles to go by ?, other than the aluminum siding cut ?, so I used that to go by on the corner angles. did the best I could, I think it will live. as for those round parts ?, yeah, as long as you have one good one to use as a pattern ?, your ok. I lucked out on my roof rafters, I had one good one left, I used it for a pattern to cut new rafters. word of caution !, do not use any sheet rock screws to attach any siding !!!. sheet rock screws will corrode aluminum siding, at least it did on mine ?, I then used wood screws made for outdoor weather where ever I attached wood to wood, then stapled the siding to the wood frame. when I attached all my j-rails, I used stainless steel screws.

There were two half moon pieces intact and I used the middle one for the pattern. I glued and screwed everything using exterior hardware. Im off to lowes again for saw blades and insulation, I have decided against styrofoam, its just too hard to install with pieces of plywood in the way the factory installed to reinforce tieing the structure together.     

Modeladay, I am so impressed with the work you are doing. I followed your other thread about the raw deal you got from the seller, and I was afraid you were going to just give up. Kudos to you for rolling up your sleeves and taking on this project. I predict you will enjoy your trailer more than many do when you start camping in it. You and the trailer are becoming one because of the intimate knowledge you are gaining by making repairs. Color me IMPRESSED!  :D

Punomatic said:
Modeladay, I am so impressed with the work you are doing. I followed your other thread about the raw deal you got from the seller, and I was afraid you were going to just give up. Kudos to you for rolling up your sleeves and taking on this project. I predict you will enjoy your trailer more than many do when you start camping in it. You and the trailer are becoming one because of the intimate knowledge you are gaining by making repairs. Color me IMPRESSED!  :D

Thank you, but lets save the kudos until I get finshed and it stays together on the first trip

As far as the seller goes I still like to choke the SOB. He owns a successful business yet he still felt the need to screw us.

Modeladay said:
Thank you, but lets save the kudos until I get finshed and it stays together on the first trip?

I'm the same way when I do work around the house, especially if it's plumbing or electrical. I tell the wife to leave the room and then I turn the power off. She can't return until after she gets the all clear from me.

Heck of a storm here ,I hope my tarp stays on. On the other hand if that big pine would fall on it that might work?

Attachments

• RenderedContent-1F0CCAE0-C798-4B1F-9F66-56F8544FAF85.JPG
    RenderedContent-1F0CCAE0-C798-4B1F-9F66-56F8544FAF85.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 98

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom