Sour lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I opened up the back......crap?

Attachments

• RenderedContent-740CC968-1E1A-4678-B186-7B4141BB0815.JPG
    RenderedContent-740CC968-1E1A-4678-B186-7B4141BB0815.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 98
  • RenderedContent-74C263F0-D737-4BC3-8C9F-EB693C9A95EE.JPG
    RenderedContent-74C263F0-D737-4BC3-8C9F-EB693C9A95EE.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 95
  • RenderedContent-C0224251-355E-44D7-8C53-B41F4C482357.JPG
    RenderedContent-C0224251-355E-44D7-8C53-B41F4C482357.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 78
  • RenderedContent-93535E4A-B54E-4765-BDFC-664DD61E3DFF.JPG
    RenderedContent-93535E4A-B54E-4765-BDFC-664DD61E3DFF.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 79
  • RenderedContent-93535E4A-B54E-4765-BDFC-664DD61E3DFF.JPG
    RenderedContent-93535E4A-B54E-4765-BDFC-664DD61E3DFF.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 79
  • RenderedContent-E6D5604E-773C-4CD0-8FD5-C29097592566.JPG
    RenderedContent-E6D5604E-773C-4CD0-8FD5-C29097592566.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 79
WOW. Ya hate to stand and stare at the damage, your mind gets racing with all kinds of thoughts- good and bad. Put your head down and start ripping out the old and get it done.

Everyone on this site is behind you.!

Triple Slide Jayco said:
WOW. Ya hate to stand and stare at the damage, your mind gets racing with all kinds of thoughts- good and bad. Put your head down and start ripping out the old and get it done.

Everyone on this site is behind you.!

I wish everyone was here to help?

Having seen your accomplishment on the front end, I am confident you will handle this. We are all pulling for you.

Don't be discouraged. Once we tore all our damaged stuff out and could see a clean slate, it was exciting to start putting it back together. It was determination at its greatest at that point. Make sure to get and wear a mold mask before you start ripping that nasty stuff out.

You did a great job on the front, you can do the same here. Make sure to find where the leak started. Can't remember if you mentioned if you did?

I remember the emotions we felt as we did ours. You probably had the 'gut punch' moment when you opened this up. The rest of this repair will be determination, excitement and then when you're done, it will be such a feeling of accomplishment and hopefully you will love your rv just as we do now. We like it more now than we did when we bought it. Because it's 'ours'. With all the work we put into it, we have a sense of ownership that wasn't there before.

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
Don't be discouraged. Once we tore all our damaged stuff out and could see a clean slate, it was exciting to start putting it back together. It was determination at its greatest at that point. Make sure to get and wear a mold mask before you start ripping that nasty stuff out.

You did a great job on the front, you can do the same here. Make sure to find where the leak started. Can't remember if you mentioned if you did?

I remember the emotions we felt as we did ours. You probably had the 'gut punch' moment when you opened this up. The rest of this repair will be determination, excitement and then when you're done, it will be such a feeling of accomplishment and hopefully you will love your rv just as we do now. We like it more now than we did when we bought it. Because it's 'ours'. With all the work we put into it, we have a sense of ownership that wasn't there before.
[/quote

Thanks for the words of encouragement, the leaks as in the front occurred under the edge molding. I'm using Seal-tite edge tape and cant believe it will happen again. There are more challenging issues on the back than on the front and maybe way out of my ability to fix properly.

Looks awful. You have three right attitude though go for it. Ask questions if needed. Hopefully it will be easier than you think know once you get the rotten stuff out of the way. You will be an expert by the end of this that's for sure.

Rooting for you!

Just want to emphasize that although the water may have entered around the corners don't ignore sealing the roof edges and corners with lap sealant.  Personally I would reseal all the existing roof sealant.  It won't take but a few hours to clean it and seal it.  It's probably overdue anyway.

Well?  Does anyone know what kind of adhesive is used under the rubber roof. Also would there have been luan on the outside framing as in the front?

Attachments

• RenderedContent-A354BEB4-C6BD-4011-9811-3D1A7FA527FF.JPG
    RenderedContent-A354BEB4-C6BD-4011-9811-3D1A7FA527FF.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 73
There are numerous adhesives and patches, etc. available. 

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dicor-rubber-roof-installation-kit-dove-grey/32141

http://www.adventurerv.net/epdm-rubber-roof-water-based-adhesive-gallon-p-6896.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw4IjKBRDr6p752cCUm3kSJAC-eqRtiuyJnN7Xw7fFHZwF6pB1J86dviMuZzm_IK2K1AXCKRoCzyLw_wcB&utm_campaign=partsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle

Modeladay said:
Well?  Does anyone know what kind of adhesive is used under the rubber roof. Also would there have been luan on the outside framing as in the front?
First, as you already know, add me to the '' got taken for a ride '' list. second, your roof looks just like what I ripped off my trailer when I first repaired the roof, same stuff, I call it wafer board, some call it chip board, and a few other names out there. it really does not matter what you put down ?, luan, chip board, plywood ?. I used 3/8 plywood on my last roof repair, considering it had 5/8 wafer board on it ?..I gave it a diet !!..lol. may I suggest you plan on putting down a new rubber roof, you will need the special glue ( DO NOT USE CONTACT CEMENT ! ), this glue is made for rubber roofs only !!. most rv dealerships, or ebay sells this. just look for rv roof adhesive. the rubber roof membrane will not be cheap !!..but it's a very wise investment this far in !!.  plan on buying the d?cor lap sealant ( self leveling ) for all your vents, fridge vent, everything cept the roof air ( if there is one ? ), plan on a new seal for it. you will need butyl tape for all your vents, tv antenna , fridge vent, sewer pipe cap. I used all stainless steel screws on everything on my roof..no more rusty square screws !!..lol. ( stainless steel screws all around my trailer ). hardest part you face ?, is getting all that old putty tape off the seam joint sealers on the top end, that stuff is a pain to scrape off..lol. if you decide to install a new rubber roof ?, you must install the rubber roof at the front under the siding, then install the seam rail. when you get to the rear on the roof, install the siding down on the new wood with a few staples across the very edge, cement the new rubber roof over the siding just a tad, about as wide as the seam rail ?, new putty tape on the seam rail , new screws, after the seam rail is down, trim off the back side of the rubber roof, leaves it simple and clean :). as for the rear damage ?, meh..you done well on the front, I have no doubts you can rebuild the rear !. sorry for the long post ?, but I wanted to tell you how I did mine, others my have a shorter version :).

alan6051964 said:
First, as you already know, add me to the '' got taken for a ride '' list. second, your roof looks just like what I ripped off my trailer when I first repaired the roof, same stuff, I call it wafer board, some call it chip board, and a few other names out there. it really does not matter what you put down ?, luan, chip board, plywood ?. I used 3/8 plywood on my last roof repair, considering it had 5/8 wafer board on it ?..I gave it a diet !!..lol. may I suggest you plan on putting down a new rubber roof, you will need the special glue ( DO NOT USE CONTACT CEMENT ! ), this glue is made for rubber roofs only !!. most rv dealerships, or ebay sells this. just look for rv roof adhesive. the rubber roof membrane will not be cheap !!..but it's a very wise investment this far in !!.  plan on buying the d?cor lap sealant ( self leveling ) for all your vents, fridge vent, everything cept the roof air ( if there is one ? ), plan on a new seal for it. you will need butyl tape for all your vents, tv antenna , fridge vent, sewer pipe cap. I used all stainless steel screws on everything on my roof..no more rusty square screws !!..lol. ( stainless steel screws all around my trailer ). hardest part you face ?, is getting all that old putty tape off the seam joint sealers on the top end, that stuff is a pain to scrape off..lol. if you decide to install a new rubber roof ?, you must install the rubber roof at the front under the siding, then install the seam rail. when you get to the rear on the roof, install the siding down on the new wood with a few staples across the very edge, cement the new rubber roof over the siding just a tad, about as wide as the seam rail ?, new putty tape on the seam rail , new screws, after the seam rail is down, trim off the back side of the rubber roof, leaves it simple and clean :). as for the rear damage ?, meh..you done well on the front, I have no doubts you can rebuild the rear !. sorry for the long post ?, but I wanted to tell you how I did mine, others my have a shorter version :).

I'm going to replace the one bad panel which is 8ft X 18 inches X 3/8. I'm just going to apply adhesive and put the rubber roof back down. If I have to replace the whole rubber roof I'm throwing in the towel I don't see why I can't do that?  What I was wondering if luan was used on the outside rear wall, it was on the front. Sense I believe that this is not the first time this has been apart I figured maybe someone just didn't replace it.

Modeladay said:
I'm going to replace the one bad panel which is 8ft X 18 inches X 3/8. I'm just going to apply adhesive and put the rubber roof back down. If I have to replace the whole rubber roof I'm throwing in the towel I don't see why I can't do that?  What I was wondering if luan was used on the outside rear wall, it was on the front. Sense I believe that this is not the first time this has been apart I figured maybe someone just didn't replace it.
I can't tell you if your camper had luan on your back wall or not ?. mine did not, and most campers I have seen never showed to have it back there ?. mostly just siding. but these were all old campers ?, maybe newer models do ?, I don't know ?. I would not install in in the back if it were mine. as long as you have studs to attach the siding ?, just do that. as for the rubber roof ?, if its in good shape ?, then re-use it. if it's chalky, pin holes every where ?, well..i can tell you right now, all your hard work your doing is going to be coming right back in no time !. that rubber roof is what keeps the water ( mostly ) out of your camper, that..and  a good tight seal on all your joints, vents. your main problem your facing ?, is getting new glue to stick to that old rubber ?, I don't think it will stick very well ?, but maybe it will ?. if you do re-use it ?, make sure you seal the top vents, everything very well !. as well as the j-rails on the back corners, and you may luck out, and be dry free  ?!. by looking at your end pics ^^^^, you had a ton of water damage coming in from either the roof termination bar ?, or the side j-rails ?, or..worse case, your rubber roof is bad ?.

and to answer your question as to why luan was in the front ?. simple : that is where the camper is getting all the head wind, they put it on there to give it strength would be my guess :).

tip: make sure you check/re-seal the awning rails on both top sides !. make sure you check the awning lag bolts !. these area's will lead to water run off to each end of your camper, and you will have water damage. you can just re-seal these with no sagging sealant ?, or, pull the awning down, and replace the putty tape under them ?, BE WARNED !!!, that awning is a two or three person job to put back on your camper !! ( been there..done that..lol ). I had a stupid awning install on my camper, and who ever installed the awning lag bolts ?, ran the lag bolts right across the drip rail !!..very dumb !..lol. needless to say, I had to drop the new awning rails I bought about 1 inch, so I could raise the awning top brackets up enough to clear the drip rail, this way, no water would run down to either end, and run straight in through the lag bolts, so far, with all this heavy rain I have had here lately..NO LEAKS SO FAR !. I also noticed on a pic ^^^ from your first post, and seen where your clearance lights were before you removed the back siding ?, and from looking at your back end now, I see a lot of water damage right where some of the lights were ?. make sure to seal your lights up good with some non-sagging sealant as well :). too bad your so far away ?..I got caught up around here, if ya was a lot closer, I would lend you some help :). too bad no one is closer from here, and willing to give ya a hand. I deff would if ya was closer :) I know how your feeling about all this..like I said..i too..was in the same boat as you !!, not once...but twice I had to repair my roof !. I had to gut the whole front inside of my camper to repair it, as well as rebuild all but one roof truss !, I know what your going through..trust me..i really do !!!. it is not the end of the world, yes..it sucks..i know it does !..lol. but..this can be fixed !!!, if I can do it ?, then surely you can too !. and I know dang well, there are others on here, that was in the same boat as you, me were in, or are in ?. if they haven't been were you are now ?..they will be !..lol. hang in there :).

alan6051964 said:
I can't tell you if your camper had luan on your back wall or not ?. mine did not, and most campers I have seen never showed to have it back there ?. mostly just siding. but these were all old campers ?, maybe newer models do ?, I don't know ?. I would not install in in the back if it were mine. as long as you have studs to attach the siding ?, just do that. as for the rubber roof ?, if its in good shape ?, then re-use it. if it's chalky, pin holes every where ?, well..i can tell you right now, all your hard work your doing is going to be coming right back in no time !. that rubber roof is what keeps the water ( mostly ) out of your camper, that..and  a good tight seal on all your joints, vents. your main problem your facing ?, is getting new glue to stick to that old rubber ?, I don't think it will stick very well ?, but maybe it will ?. if you do re-use it ?, make sure you seal the top vents, everything very well !. as well as the j-rails on the back corners, and you may luck out, and be dry free  ?!. by looking at your end pics ^^^^, you had a ton of water damage coming in from either the roof termination bar ?, or the side j-rails ?, or..worse case, your rubber roof is bad ?.

The rubber appears to be ok as all the leaks had been stopped by someone as everything was dry front and back. I don't know how long it would take for this kind of damage to dry out but it had. The j-rails look like the source for both the front and rear leaks. If someone had paid some attention to keeping these areas sealed it would have saved me a lot of work?  I'm using the Seal-Tite product to seal the corners and it looks like it will provide a permanent fix. Thanks for your write up ?

alan6051964 said:
tip: make sure you check/re-seal the awning rails on both top sides !. make sure you check the awning lag bolts !. these area's will lead to water run off to each end of your camper, and you will have water damage. you can just re-seal these with no sagging sealant ?, or, pull the awning down, and replace the putty tape under them ?, BE WARNED !!!, that awning is a two or three person job to put back on your camper !! ( been there..done that..lol ). I had a stupid awning install on my camper, and who ever installed the awning lag bolts ?, ran the lag bolts right across the drip rail !!..very dumb !..lol. needless to say, I had to drop the new awning rails I bought about 1 inch, so I could raise the awning top brackets up enough to clear the drip rail, this way, no water would run down to either end, and run straight in through the lag bolts, so far, with all this heavy rain I have had here lately..NO LEAKS SO FAR !. I also noticed on a pic ^^^ from your first post, and seen where your clearance lights were before you removed the back siding ?, and from looking at your back end now, I see a lot of water damage right where some of the lights were ?. make sure to seal your lights up good with some non-sagging sealant as well :). too bad your so far away ?..I got caught up around here, if ya was a lot closer, I would lend you some help :). too bad no one is closer from here, and willing to give ya a hand. I deff would if ya was closer :) I know how your feeling about all this..like I said..i too..was in the same boat as you !!, not once...but twice I had to repair my roof !. I had to gut the whole front inside of my camper to repair it, as well as rebuild all but one roof truss !, I know what your going through..trust me..i really do !!!. it is not the end of the world, yes..it sucks..i know it does !..lol. but..this can be fixed !!!, if I can do it ?, then surely you can too !. and I know dang well, there are others on here, that was in the same boat as you, me were in, or are in ?. if they haven't been were you are now ?..they will be !..lol. hang in there :).

Yes,yes and yes, there are two types of campers(at least in my price range) one that is leaking and one that will leak. One good thing is I'm learning a lot, I just wish it was not on the job training ?

Shouldn't there be insulation here??

Attachments

• RenderedContent-B3A765EA-3F99-482D-90A3-DA1C56110ECD.JPG
    RenderedContent-B3A765EA-3F99-482D-90A3-DA1C56110ECD.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom