Sour lemonade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first rule with RV/TT maintenance is vigilance.  The smallest amount of water repeatedly soaking the same area will ruin anything real quick.

Now that you are almost there, if you reapply sealant annually or as needed and inspect in the spring and fall you will avoid many of these issues.  Don't forget to keep an eye on everything after you use it a couple times.  Things are going to settle and shift a little.  I keep a few tubes of lap sealant on hand.

Gods Country said:
The first rule with RV/TT maintenance is vigilance.  The smallest amount of water repeatedly soaking the same area will ruin anything real quick.

Now that you are almost there, if you reapply sealant annually or as needed and inspect in the spring and fall you will avoid many of these issues.  Don't forget to keep an eye on everything after you use it a couple times.  Things are going to settle and shift a little.  I keep a few tubes of lap sealant on hand.

I intend to carry an emergency repair kit, just can't figure out how to get on the roof without a ladder?

I just read your entire thread.  You are my hero. :)) I hope I never have to face anything close to what you faced. Very nice work.  You really need to go camping soon. 

prairiegirl said:
I just read your entire thread.  You are my hero. :)) I hope I never have to face anything close to what you faced. Very nice work.  You really need to go camping soon.

Thank you! It has been a lot of work, a lot of money(in total)  and a lot of heart ache.... mostly because I let myself get burned this bad. I don't know how the guy sleeps at night but that is his problem. I do feel good about what I have accomplished, someone esle would have done better but I found something in me that I didn't know I had ...... a little patience  I did get the clearance lights rewired today so I will have some room to work. It hard because Georgia heat can be relentless and I'm West Virginia boy

outstanding !!. I am impressed !!. wasn't that bad, now was it ?. well done sir..well done !!!.

alan6051964 said:
outstanding !!. I am impressed !!. wasn't that bad, now was it ?. well done sir..well done !!!.

Thank you,thank you ,thank you. Sorry it was that bad? But I'm close, lots of little things to do though.

Way to go. Keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you. Please post some pics of you and yours camping once you get it complete.

muskoka guy said:
Way to go. Keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you. Please post some pics of you and yours camping once you get it complete.

It will be awhile yet but will do?

Inch by inch, cleaned the old caulking off the roof which was a ton of work. BTW all the clearance lights work 

Attachments

• RenderedContent-E8963D30-F369-4749-B855-2188BBF95B11.JPG
    RenderedContent-E8963D30-F369-4749-B855-2188BBF95B11.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 102
I have been keeping up with your thread.  Great job and way to hang in there! Your last post regarded removing caulk. I just found something to day that really helps. Plastic razor blades! I tried them out on silicon and other hardened caulks. They work great. they won't gouge the aluminum or scrape the paint off the aluminum. There great on glass because they will not scratch it. I wish I had them when I rebuilt our trailer. Their available on Amazon.

Tom

tombillbob said:
I have been keeping up with your thread.  Great job and way to hang in there! Your last post regarded removing caulk. I just found something to day that really helps. Plastic razor blades! I tried them out on silicon and other hardened caulks. They work great. they won't gouge the aluminum or scrape the paint off the aluminum. There great on glass because they will not scratch it. I wish I had them when I rebuilt our trailer. Their available on Amazon.

Tom

Would be great on metal but I'm not sure it would work on the rubber roof. I think the last time someone worked on the roof they used Dicor self leveling caulk, I'm here to tell hhis stuff sticks! I'm using it now to reseal every nook and cranny ? 

We too peeled up our old sealant on the roof vents, skylight, etc and went around resealing everything ourselves. Your repairs look great. Hope you and DW get to go camping soon so you can relax and enjoy like you had intended to when you bought it. Now that you will have everything resealed (check around your windows/door too) it will be much easier to maintain each year now that you know when it's been done. You should feel very accomplished at what you've done.

A quick update, put in 8 hrs and I got all the aluminum on and the lights work! Repaired the membrane where I had to open it up to replace bad wood and changed a flat tire because the valve tore. Next is the hot water tank, once I'm satisfied that its working and nothing leaks than I will work on the reinstalling the edge molding. Guess what I'll be done ? Im going to pull the drums and grease the wheel bearings while I'm at it and the wife will do her clean thing on the inside.

jackiemac said:
Fantastic!! Well done. Presume you have checked grey and frssh tanks not leaking too. ☺

They do not appear to be leaking, I had to move the camper to front of the garage where I have a pad to jack it up to change the flat and do the greasing. I'll be able to hook up the water there  to make sure none of the water pipes are leaking. A preliminary check before I bought showed nothing but  after everything that has happened I don't have much fath in my previous inspection. Being next to the garage will save a lot of back and forth but the down side is I will be in the blasted sun all day and it is supposed to go into the hundreds this week

Helper installing the hot water tank...not much help?

Attachments

• RenderedContent-27BEE5F1-9AE2-416A-8F15-B2E0E5A97793.JPG
    RenderedContent-27BEE5F1-9AE2-416A-8F15-B2E0E5A97793.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 107
Modeladay said:
They do not appear to be leaking, I had to move the camper to front of the garage where I have a pad to jack it up to change the flat and do the greasing. I'll be able to hook up the water there  to make sure none of the water pipes are leaking. A preliminary check before I bought showed nothing but  after everything that has happened I don't have much fath in my previous inspection. Being next to the garage will save a lot of back and forth but the down side is I will be in the blasted sun all day and it is supposed to go into the hundreds this week
Hopefully all will be well and you can enjoy the sunshine, I mean air con ?

Final corner closed up tight with Seal-Tite edge tape. Ready for the edge cover. Guess what? Than I'm done?

Attachments

• RenderedContent-343C9075-DCD1-48C4-8B04-15F5D5745514.JPG
    RenderedContent-343C9075-DCD1-48C4-8B04-15F5D5745514.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 98
Congrats! Where are you going for your first outing? If I might make a suggestion, spend a couple of nights "camping" at home. That way, you can run in the house and grab whatever you learn that you forgot to pack. Make a list of those things so you can pick up replacements when you are next on a shopping trip. ENJOY that trailer. You have earned it!!  :D

Back
Top Bottom