EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Sour lemonade  (Read 9118 times)

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Sour lemonade
« Reply #150 on: July 04, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
Nothing like knowing the guy personally when it goes wrong😁 Got the roof panel on tonight and will glue the roof down tomorrow.

I would also countersink ther screws a little deeper and fill the holes with putty. You don't want them touching the roofing material and eventually breaking through.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
I would also countersink ther screws a little deeper and fill the holes with putty. You don't want them touching the roofing material and eventually breaking through.

Thanks, they may not look it based on the photo but they are deep. Factory did the same on the side that butts up to the next panel but used nails for the rest🤔

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
 Nearing the end🙂 I hope everything fits back together and I can get all the lights to work

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
Try the lights now before you put it all back together.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
Try the lights now before you put it all back together.

Sense the lights are attached to the aluminum I will have to at least temporarily hang the aluminum. Yes I could just meter them out but with so many wires that interconnect I think everything will be needed to be attached to complete circuits.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:15:48 PM by Lou Schneider »

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
The aluminum is only the ground. Just run a temporary ground and test each light.  Or get a test light. If you don't test them somehow and you put everything back together, you're going to kick your butt when you have to take it all apart to fix one light.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/k-tool-international-6-or-12v-circuit-tester-with-48-leads-kti72770/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:14:46 PM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2017, 09:21:08 PM »
So did the floor turn out to be OK?

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #157 on: July 06, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
So did the floor turn out to be OK?

The rear corner under the shower was gone, it amounted to less than a half a square ft. Sense it was under the shower and you would never walk on it I left it as it was. The shower enclosure sits on a wooden raised base which sits on the trailer's steel frame for support so the bad corner was of no concern.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:19:07 PM by Modeladay »

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2017, 08:41:52 AM »
I realize it's been a lot of work, but that was some real luck that the floor is OK considering the amount of damage.

Looks like you will be RVing soon! :))

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2017, 10:40:35 AM »
I realize it's been a lot of work, but that was some real luck that the floor is OK considering the amount of damage.

Looks like you will be RVing soon! :))

Yea, the roof panel I replaced had far more damage, I think I would have quit if there was extensive floor damage. My goal was the make it structurally sound so everything would tie back together. Its amazing how much damage water can do and as in the front it was the aluminum edge covering that leaked. I hope using the Seal-Tite tape and the Dicor sealant it will keep it dry. The rubber roof never give out it was just the sealants.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:43:33 AM by Modeladay »

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2017, 11:10:56 AM »
The first rule with RV/TT maintenance is vigilance.  The smallest amount of water repeatedly soaking the same area will ruin anything real quick.

Now that you are almost there, if you reapply sealant annually or as needed and inspect in the spring and fall you will avoid many of these issues.  Don't forget to keep an eye on everything after you use it a couple times.  Things are going to settle and shift a little.  I keep a few tubes of lap sealant on hand.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »
The first rule with RV/TT maintenance is vigilance.  The smallest amount of water repeatedly soaking the same area will ruin anything real quick.

Now that you are almost there, if you reapply sealant annually or as needed and inspect in the spring and fall you will avoid many of these issues.  Don't forget to keep an eye on everything after you use it a couple times.  Things are going to settle and shift a little.  I keep a few tubes of lap sealant on hand.

I intend to carry an emergency repair kit, just can't figure out how to get on the roof without a ladder🙂

prairiegirl

• ---
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »
I just read your entire thread.  You are my hero. :)) I hope I never have to face anything close to what you faced. Very nice work.  You really need to go camping soon.   
1989 Heartland 5th Wheel Prowler 25 foot
1997 F250 with 460

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »
I just read your entire thread.  You are my hero. :)) I hope I never have to face anything close to what you faced. Very nice work.  You really need to go camping soon.

Thank you! It has been a lot of work, a lot of money(in total)  and a lot of heart ache.... mostly because I let myself get burned this bad. I don't know how the guy sleeps at night but that is his problem. I do feel good about what I have accomplished, someone esle would have done better but I found something in me that I didn't know I had ...... a little patience  I did get the clearance lights rewired today so I will have some room to work. It hard because Georgia heat can be relentless and I'm West Virginia boy
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:45:02 PM by Modeladay »

alan6051964

• ---
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2017, 05:07:18 PM »
outstanding !!. I am impressed !!. wasn't that bad, now was it ?. well done sir..well done !!!.
1992 22ft Fleetwood wilderness TT

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2017, 06:08:49 PM »
outstanding !!. I am impressed !!. wasn't that bad, now was it ?. well done sir..well done !!!.

Thank you,thank you ,thank you. Sorry it was that bad😁 But I'm close, lots of little things to do though.

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
Way to go. Keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you. Please post some pics of you and yours camping once you get it complete.

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »
Way to go. Keep up the good work. We are all cheering for you. Please post some pics of you and yours camping once you get it complete.

It will be awhile yet but will do🙂

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2017, 07:35:11 PM »
Inch by inch, cleaned the old caulking off the roof which was a ton of work. BTW all the clearance lights work 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:22:21 PM by Modeladay »

tombillbob

• ---
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2017, 08:48:59 PM »
I have been keeping up with your thread.  Great job and way to hang in there! Your last post regarded removing caulk. I just found something to day that really helps. Plastic razor blades! I tried them out on silicon and other hardened caulks. They work great. they won't gouge the aluminum or scrape the paint off the aluminum. There great on glass because they will not scratch it. I wish I had them when I rebuilt our trailer. Their available on Amazon.

Tom

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2017, 09:20:44 PM »
I have been keeping up with your thread.  Great job and way to hang in there! Your last post regarded removing caulk. I just found something to day that really helps. Plastic razor blades! I tried them out on silicon and other hardened caulks. They work great. they won't gouge the aluminum or scrape the paint off the aluminum. There great on glass because they will not scratch it. I wish I had them when I rebuilt our trailer. Their available on Amazon.

Tom

Would be great on metal but I'm not sure it would work on the rubber roof. I think the last time someone worked on the roof they used Dicor self leveling caulk, I'm here to tell hhis stuff sticks! I'm using it now to reseal every nook and cranny 🙂 

BikerFlex&HappyJen

• ---
  • Our toes belong in the sand...
« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
We too peeled up our old sealant on the roof vents, skylight, etc and went around resealing everything ourselves. Your repairs look great. Hope you and DW get to go camping soon so you can relax and enjoy like you had intended to when you bought it. Now that you will have everything resealed (check around your windows/door too) it will be much easier to maintain each year now that you know when it's been done. You should feel very accomplished at what you've done.
------------------------
'99 Dutchmen 5th Wheel
Toyota Tundra 5.7 4WD SR5
Harley Davidson RoadKing

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #172 on: July 16, 2017, 09:40:10 PM »
A quick update, put in 8 hrs and I got all the aluminum on and the lights work! Repaired the membrane where I had to open it up to replace bad wood and changed a flat tire because the valve tore. Next is the hot water tank, once I'm satisfied that its working and nothing leaks than I will work on the reinstalling the edge molding. Guess what I'll be done 😁 Im going to pull the drums and grease the wheel bearings while I'm at it and the wife will do her clean thing on the inside.

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #173 on: July 16, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
Fantastic!! Well done. Presume you have checked grey and frssh tanks not leaking too. ☺
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2017, 11:54:51 PM »
Fantastic!! Well done. Presume you have checked grey and frssh tanks not leaking too. ☺

They do not appear to be leaking, I had to move the camper to front of the garage where I have a pad to jack it up to change the flat and do the greasing. I'll be able to hook up the water there  to make sure none of the water pipes are leaking. A preliminary check before I bought showed nothing but  after everything that has happened I don't have much fath in my previous inspection. Being next to the garage will save a lot of back and forth but the down side is I will be in the blasted sun all day and it is supposed to go into the hundreds this week

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
Helper installing the hot water tank...not much help😕

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »
About as much help as my doxie mix!  :-\
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #177 on: July 18, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »
They do not appear to be leaking, I had to move the camper to front of the garage where I have a pad to jack it up to change the flat and do the greasing. I'll be able to hook up the water there  to make sure none of the water pipes are leaking. A preliminary check before I bought showed nothing but  after everything that has happened I don't have much fath in my previous inspection. Being next to the garage will save a lot of back and forth but the down side is I will be in the blasted sun all day and it is supposed to go into the hundreds this week
Hopefully all will be well and you can enjoy the sunshine, I mean air con 😎
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

Modeladay

• ---
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2017, 04:45:13 PM »
Final corner closed up tight with Seal-Tite edge tape. Ready for the edge cover. Guess what? Than I'm done😁

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »
Congrats! Where are you going for your first outing? If I might make a suggestion, spend a couple of nights "camping" at home. That way, you can run in the house and grab whatever you learn that you forgot to pack. Make a list of those things so you can pick up replacements when you are next on a shopping trip. ENJOY that trailer. You have earned it!!  :D
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

Hosted by Over The Network