Newbie here. Possible purchase opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrew3744

We are looking to buy our first motorhome. I've done a lot of online research as to what to look for when looking at a used coach. Today we stopped by a local RV broker and came across an rv we like but I was looking for a second opinion on price for the age and condition. I'll post the link below. The story was that this coach was an elderly couples and the husband passed away so she needed to sell. The coach needs tires and a good cleaning but otherwise didn't appear to have any water damage. I'm looking for a ball park figure on what would be a good offer. If anyone has any input I'd appreciate honesty and insight.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Michigan-RV-Brokers-Inc-2893196/listing/1999-Thor-Motor-Coach-Four-Winds-Intl.-Infiniti-34K-121990945

Looks like a hell of a deal to me!! If the AC units work and the leverlers,etc you should scoop it up...Just do a pre signing  prep session with the dealer..Good Luck!!

They told me that once we agreed on a price with the seller they would have everything up and running for me to see that all was in working condition. Only thing I seen was that the rear ladder was missing and it had the very slight v10 exhaust tick when it was cold but seemed to go away as the engine warmed up. Also I think the coach batteries are shot, which is no big deal. It definitely needs tires as they are dry rotten.

It looks like a nice unit if that is what your looking for......

If you plan to tow ANYTHING make sure you find out the GVWR and the CCC numbers as some gas units can't tow very much
without being overweight.  If you don't understand those numbers, get them and report back before you buy anything.

The TV's look like they could use some updating - IMO.

But for the price IF everything works and it's not to rusty underneath then I don't think you can go too wrong especially for the price.

[But for the price IF everything works and it's not to rusty underneath then I don't think you can go too wrong especially for the price.]

He said right here. Check it real good, I bought a coach from central MI. year before last and it had a lot of rust damage. I ended up selling it, but not just because of the rust. I just didn't want to keep fixing it up my way with all the rust, and let it go. There was another main reason but I won't go there, personal.

My own feeling is if you buy something that old and that price point, have at least that amount in reserve  to spend fixing things the first year.  Just being practical and prepared for those things you never think of or find out about until you actually use it.

Michigan winters are tough even if RV is sitting, get on your back and look at chassis for corrosion and the springs for rust.  Tires are 1800-2000 for the set which puts RV up to 17000, at that mileage and age you should put brakes on it for (while the tires are being replaced) another 300-400 repair.  As always the dealers never show the roof.  I don't know what type it has but that is always a concern.  Look at the interior roof closely for water stains.  Roof repairs are not uncommon at that age of vehicle

The roof inside is in good condition. I  opened all cupboards and hatches and don't see any stains or damage from water. The dealer "said" the brakes were in good shape but I didn't inspect them closely. I might low ball offer them and see how desperate they are to sell.

Went back and re-visited this coach. Took a few photos of a few issues that needed repairs. The front passenger window has a leak somewhere that caused some water damage to the wood paneling underneath. I'd probably have to remove the window, reseal, and replace the wood. Hasn't caused any delamination yet. The speedometer is erratic which I'm assuming is the speed sensor in the rear end. The rear ladder is missing. I was told the owner clipped it with his tractor. The exhaust has a small tick which I'm assuming it's a stud or manifold gasket. All the tires need to be replaced also. . With these issues in mind I'm thinking about shooting them a low ball offer to see if I can get things rolling. I know she wants to sell it because her husband passed away and she can't drive it and it's been sitting at the broker for over a month now. I was thinking about starting at like $8,000 and going up.
https://ibb.co/j89kA5
https://ibb.co/mQUVck
https://ibb.co/jLUVck
https://ibb.co/cuoZ3Q
https://ibb.co/nwRyV5
https://ibb.co/ekvE3Q

The asking price is pretty much right in the middle of the Low-High Retail ranges from NADA: http://nadaguides.com/RVs/1999/Four-Winds/M-34K-Ford__/3011278/Values

But as you mentioned, there are considerable (even if expected) maintenance items that will need to be done, and none are cheap.  So it's certainly fair for you to factor those into your offer.  If/when you make your offer at the level you said, just be ready to politely summarize why your number is so low and what issues you will need to address.  And yes, definitely make sure EVERYTHING can be tested on shore power, battery power, and propane (where applicable)... other high dollar items are roof A/C, refrigerator, generator, and transmission.  Our forum library (link near the top of the page) has checklists for inspecting/buying used RV's.

Sounds like you are pretty familiar/handy yourself, which will definitely help your potential costs on the repair/maintenance end.

Today I placed an offer of 8k. So we'll see what the owner comes back with. I contacted different tire places and surprisingly belle tire was the cheapest quote I got at $1295 for all six installed. I forgot about checking the functions of the appliances on different fuel sources so thank you for that. I cant see myself paying more than maybe 10k and even that seems a bit high. Granted we will only be using the coach a handful of times per year, I don't want to get something that I got more into than what its worth. So now I wait until I get out of work to see what the counter offer will turn out to be.

I would be shocked if you pick this up for 8k..I bet they come down to 12...that's still peanuts for that rig imho...Good Luck!

In 2012 I sold my 1994 Thor Class A (35-ft similar style and also Ford chassis, but no slide on mine) for $8k and that was a very fair price for the buyer.  It needed some updating but nothing major except a fridge, which the buyer was going to replace with an electric-only residential model... about $400 instead of $1000 for the RV equivalent.

Being 5 years later and this rig 5 years newer, that kinda balances out.  But the 1999 is probably quite a bit more capable than my 1994, which was on 16" LT tires (I'm guessing that 1999 has 19.5") and did not have much rated carrying capacity.  Mine was definitely "lived in" and had worn (although not damaged) carpet and furniture, mostly from previous full-time owners... not sure how that compares to the condition of the 1999 you are considering.  Figure some dollar amounts for the tires and other anticipated repairs, deduct from the asking price + what you want to pay, and go from there with negotiations.

Good luck and keep us updated!  ;D

I agree with John, I'd be very surprised it you got that rig for less than 12 grand even needing new tires. Very hard to find a coach that old with NO water damage, when most of them sit outside year round. To be honest with you, if it were my coach and you offered 8 grand that would be the end of our conversation. 

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this unit. And Charlie, this unit did have some water damage under the front passenger window. Ill keep everyone updated on how it goes.

I'm with the others on the price - about $12k seems reasonable. Tires are a big $ factor, but most older coaches need tires right away or within a year. The minor water damage is also typical for the age and might even be considered "better than average" if it's no worse than what you describe. 

some pictures and some of the water damage

Attachments

• coach1.jpg
    coach1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 31
  • coach2.jpg
    coach2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 32
  • coach3.jpg
    coach3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 29
  • coach4.jpg
    coach4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 32
  • coach5.jpg
    coach5.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 31
  • coach6.jpg
    coach6.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 35
Well I think the price is gonna come to be $11,000. Seems like a fair price comparing it to some similar models that are quite a bit more. Waiting for the broker to give me a response from the seller. The broker said they will have an outside mechanic come and inspect the coach and everything will be up and running for me to inspect it before I purchase. Is this normal a normal process for them to have an outside mechanic inspect the unit before I purchase it?

Pre-purchase inspection are a great thing, especially if the seller is paying for it.  If possible I'd want to have access to that mechanic to verify what was inspected and repaired... so you know what you're paying for and what might still need attention if/when you buy.  Especially since you have some know-how and are aware of a few of the potential issues.

I can tell from hearing the engine running that the right front manifold had a slight leak which I already had quoted 400$ from a local exhaust shop for both to be removed and new studs and gaskets installed on the V10. They told me they see the V10 with broken factory studs quite often.

Back
Top Bottom