Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: 2002 itasca horizon 39' roof appears to be cracking  (Read 666 times)

Bruce-1946

• ---
  • Hope to meet some of you
2002 itasca horizon 39' roof appears to be cracking
« on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:04 AM »
My 2002 Itasca, horizon, 39' roof appears to be cracking. Right where the the roof curves from the top to the side above the bedroom area (on roof not sides). has anyone had this happen and what did you do to fix it.
Was thinking of using fiber glass to repair it. Thoughts
Thanks in advance
Bruce
Bruce & Donna Mia Our Brittany
MSgt USAF Ret. Intel Corp Ret.
2002 Itasca Horizon 39pd 1st Motor home
woodcarving, woodturning, Metal detecting, Astronomy, Gold panning, Fishing; Salmon, Sturgeon. 20' Alumaweld Blackhawk boat.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Re: 2002 itasca horizon 39' roof appears to be cracking
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »
That used to be a common place for cracking due to the radius' not being thick enough. You might try calling Winnebago customer service just to ask what they would recommend as a repair procedure.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:41:56 AM »
In addition to Marty's advice, you can use fiberglass and epoxy resin. I've used the marine WEST epoxy products for many years, they have many different additives used for specific purposes.  There is a technique required to effect a quality repair and one that looks good from a distance.

I have a feeling that Winnebago's advice will be you need to replace the entire roof.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Bruce-1946

• ---
  • Hope to meet some of you
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 03:41:22 PM »
Thank you.
the trouble with west epoxy you have to use Marine Spar varnish over it or a good marine paint. Epoxy has to be protected from UV Rays.

Also what have any of you used to protect the top from turning powdery?
I heard of a material applied in California that is low maintenance (now i can't find them) :-[
Bruce & Donna Mia Our Brittany
MSgt USAF Ret. Intel Corp Ret.
2002 Itasca Horizon 39pd 1st Motor home
woodcarving, woodturning, Metal detecting, Astronomy, Gold panning, Fishing; Salmon, Sturgeon. 20' Alumaweld Blackhawk boat.

2dalake

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:50:10 AM »
Once you get the repair done, look into getting the entire roof coated with BusKote. 
2007 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit, 2012 CRV Toad; 2014 F150 Toad; Air Force One toad brake.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
..the trouble with west epoxy you have to use Marine Spar varnish over it or a good marine paint. Epoxy has to be protected from UV Rays. ..
Okay, so you paint it.  You could also use a colored gel coat finish. A redneck repair would be a strip of Ertnabond tape over the break.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Many recommend the eternabond tape right over the corner onto the metal trim. Winnebago of that era are known for separation of the roof from the wall trim. I had it happen on my 2000 Adventurer while vacationing in NFLD. We hit a big side wind coming off the ocean and it tore a piece of the roof away. A good portion of the one side came loose and a piece about 2 ft x 3 ft tore off completely. We got inland and found a hardware store that sold fiberglass and resin and made a repair at the nearest rv park. I wish I had heard about eternabond tape before that had happened.

Hosted by Over The Network