1976 Monaco Wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frederic

Hi all, I was using the mighty Google to find an answer to my question, and it led me here, but it didn't answer the question, so I logged in, which I haven't done in five years, to ask & hopefully someone can answer this for me.

My wife and I purchased a 1976 22.5' Monaco Winchester last year. I'm putting in a new 360 and going to a 4BBL, but that's not my problem. The coach still has the original 16.5" wheels, which I'm getting rid of. A family friend owns a tire shop down the road and I bought a set of used 16" coined wheels from a mid-80's Dodge, so all is well in the world, which brings me to my question...four actually:

1) Why did some Dodge coaches have a regular wheel up front, while other coaches had a dually wheel? I'm including pictures, so you can see what I'm talking about.

2) I know anything is possible, but what is involved in swapping out the front rotor parts, so it will accept the dually rim?

3) Is such a rotor/hub assembly still sold? If so, where?

The reason I ask is because it makes more sense to me to have a spare that actually works on ALL positions, not just the front, which is what my spare is.

4) What 16" tire size best approximates the 8.00-16.5" tire? Best I've found so far is the 225/75-16, but it rotates at 706RPM, vs the 8.00-16.5, which rotates at 733RPM (IIRC).

I'm leaning toward the Michelin XPS Rib, but I'm open to suggestions. I've had great luck with Michelin tires on my F350 dually.

Attachments

• B300 Regular Front Wheel.jpg
    B300 Regular Front Wheel.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 27
  • B300 Dually Front Wheel.jpg
    B300 Dually Front Wheel.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 26
You can find tire information on manufacturer websites.

Have you tried placing a dually wheel on your front hubs?

I was thinking it may be due to wheel size, IE: 16" vs 16.5" maybe?
Would a 235/80-16 work for you? You may want to check spacing between the duallies though.

Whoops :-[ Looks like I was going the wrong way with that size suggestion.

Maybe a 225/70-16 would work for you. Finding the correct load range may be a fight there.

DWJoyce said:
You can find tire information on manufacturer websites.

Have you tried placing a dually wheel on your front hubs?

Actually I can't, because there is no information available on the 8.00-16.5 tire on any manufacturer website.

Yes, I have tried placing a dually wheel on the front hub and it does not fit.

I found a picture of what the hub/rotor assembly is supposed to look like. A guy on eBay is selling one.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 3
Today I tried calling Michelin directly, to find out what I could. The tires that are on there now are Michelin XCA 8.00-16.5 radials. The gentleman with whom I spoke told me that he couldn't even tell me when the last time the XCA was made in that size, because they no longer had that size in their database; they delete old information, after seven years. He's forwarding my information to Corporate Headquarters, in the hope that they might be able to help.

He concurred that the smallest RV tire size in 16" is the 225/75-16. What it looks like, so that I can keep my speedometer accurate, is to find the right transmission speedometer gear, and I will probably have to go to the junk yard, find a van with that size tire, and remove the gear.

Back
Top Bottom