Cargo trailer conversion project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

SkateBoard

In case some people are interested. I started my cargo van conversion project a few weeks ago. I'm a software engineer, bored and always wanted to do this. The trailer is a 14x7x7 with a V-nose so an extra 2' up front. Amazon has been making deliveries to my house for a month now and usually 2 to 3 items a day. I had no idea that inverter was that big! I have 4 marine batteries that will be connected in parallel using a 1" solid copper bus bar.

I've watched 100's of videos and I haven't seen anyone pull down the 3/8'ths inch board inside. These trailers are NOT waterproof. The need to be caulked and I sprayed Flex Seal also. The white paint on the floor is epoxy type paint to waterproof as I go. Been insulating as I go and the floor also with another 3/4" on top. Bed frame is made with storage underneath and gas pistons to raise it up.

I'll post more pics maybe this weekend. I cut a hole in the back under the bed and put a 22"x22" cargo door. There is a tray that slides out with the generator. Testing out my 15,000 BTU AC this weekend.

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Img_0151.jpg
    Img_0151.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Img_0152.jpg
    Img_0152.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Img_0154.jpg
    Img_0154.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 127
  • inverter.jpg
    inverter.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 153
Sounds like you are on the road (so to speak) to having a great little trailer. I've always wanted to do something like this, but time got away from me. Good luck with your project, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions on the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience among the members here. Welcome to the forum!!

My bed is the size of a twin XL. I used 3/4" pressboard and it's heavy. I put 2 200 pound gas pistons to lift it up. It's on a piano hinge. Big mistake. 400 pounds of lift would launch a small girl. I ordered 100 pound lifts.

I almost made a big mistake thinking a trailer needed all its weight in the rear. Saw some posts on here then started to investigate. Was able to change my plans and increase my propane tanks on the front and move the 50 gallon water tank.

Any recommendations on a propane furnace make/model/size?

xrated said:
Just curious, the 2nd picture you posted isn't a "V" noise trailer....is that yours or someone else's?

No, it's a V nose and that is mine.

Check out the unit numbers on the tongue, same trailer as the 4th pic. The V just isn't as pronounced as it is on some other trailers.

Long weekend plus vacation day tomorrow so I'll be stocking up on Ibuprofen on the way home

xrated said:
My mistake.  The fourth picture definitely shows it more clearly

Some V nose trailers are really V nose. This is slight.

This is the remote for my Champion generator. Had it modified at work with some transistors and wires so I can hook it up to a microprocessor I'm going to program. A little more electronics to monitor the voltage of my battery bank and it will automatically start and stop the generator when the batteries need charging.

Inside I'll have 3 LED's. Red, Green and Yellow and 3 buttons.

Red    - Stop and no monitoring
Green - Manual start
Yellow - Battery monitor mode

Also a combination of LED's and blinking will show all the failure modes

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 51
Few more pics

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 79
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 66
I guess no recommendations so I ordered this one

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 50
Installed inverter today. 4 hours!!

Attachments

• inverter1.jpg
    inverter1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 62
Rene T said:
Looks nice. Are they all 12 volt DC batteries?

Yup. The smallest thing can set up back. The switch and fuse holder have recessed holes for the screws. I had to go to Tractor Supply just for the right washers. Then that AC wire!!!! You can't use your fingers it's so tough to bend. A set of pliers in each hand.

SkateBoard said:
Yup. The smallest thing can set up back. The switch and fuse holder have recessed holes for the screws. I had to go to Tractor Supply just for the right washers. Then that AC wire!!!! You can't use your fingers it's so tough to bend. A set of pliers in each hand.

I think you meant DC wiring.  :eek: ::) ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom