EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Cargo trailer conversion project  (Read 2297 times)

SkateBoard

Cargo trailer conversion project
« on: May 24, 2017, 01:53:37 AM »
In case some people are interested. I started my cargo van conversion project a few weeks ago. I'm a software engineer, bored and always wanted to do this. The trailer is a 14x7x7 with a V-nose so an extra 2' up front. Amazon has been making deliveries to my house for a month now and usually 2 to 3 items a day. I had no idea that inverter was that big! I have 4 marine batteries that will be connected in parallel using a 1" solid copper bus bar.

I've watched 100's of videos and I haven't seen anyone pull down the 3/8'ths inch board inside. These trailers are NOT waterproof. The need to be caulked and I sprayed Flex Seal also. The white paint on the floor is epoxy type paint to waterproof as I go. Been insulating as I go and the floor also with another 3/4" on top. Bed frame is made with storage underneath and gas pistons to raise it up.

I'll post more pics maybe this weekend. I cut a hole in the back under the bed and put a 22"x22" cargo door. There is a tray that slides out with the generator. Testing out my 15,000 BTU AC this weekend.

Punomatic

• ---
    • Life in Black and Blue
Re: Cargo trailer conversion project
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
Sounds like you are on the road (so to speak) to having a great little trailer. I've always wanted to do something like this, but time got away from me. Good luck with your project, and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions on the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience among the members here. Welcome to the forum!!
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
DW and me and Pogo (the neurotic terrier-gone to the rainbow bridge) and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie)

SkateBoard

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
My bed is the size of a twin XL. I used 3/4" pressboard and it's heavy. I put 2 200 pound gas pistons to lift it up. It's on a piano hinge. Big mistake. 400 pounds of lift would launch a small girl. I ordered 100 pound lifts.

I almost made a big mistake thinking a trailer needed all its weight in the rear. Saw some posts on here then started to investigate. Was able to change my plans and increase my propane tanks on the front and move the 50 gallon water tank.

SkateBoard

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 01:53:50 AM »
Any recommendations on a propane furnace make/model/size?

xrated

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:14:31 AM »
Just curious, the 2nd picture you posted isn't a "V" noise trailer....is that yours or someone else's?
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

SkateBoard

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 06:21:23 AM »
Just curious, the 2nd picture you posted isn't a "V" noise trailer....is that yours or someone else's?

No, it's a V nose and that is mine.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
Check out the unit numbers on the tongue, same trailer as the 4th pic. The V just isn't as pronounced as it is on some other trailers.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SkateBoard

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 06:31:06 AM »
Long weekend plus vacation day tomorrow so I'll be stocking up on Ibuprofen on the way home

xrated

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 09:30:47 AM »
No, it's a V nose and that is mine.

My mistake.  The fourth picture definitely shows it more clearly
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

SkateBoard

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 01:49:14 PM »
My mistake.  The fourth picture definitely shows it more clearly

Some V nose trailers are really V nose. This is slight.

SkateBoard

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:48:38 PM »
This is the remote for my Champion generator. Had it modified at work with some transistors and wires so I can hook it up to a microprocessor I'm going to program. A little more electronics to monitor the voltage of my battery bank and it will automatically start and stop the generator when the batteries need charging.

Inside I'll have 3 LED's. Red, Green and Yellow and 3 buttons.

Red    - Stop and no monitoring
Green - Manual start
Yellow - Battery monitor mode

Also a combination of LED's and blinking will show all the failure modes

SkateBoard

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »
Few more pics

SkateBoard

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 03:08:49 AM »
I guess no recommendations so I ordered this one

SkateBoard

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 09:06:43 PM »
Installed inverter today. 4 hours!!

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:53 PM »
Looks nice. Are they all 12 volt DC batteries?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

SkateBoard

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »
Looks nice. Are they all 12 volt DC batteries?

Yup. The smallest thing can set up back. The switch and fuse holder have recessed holes for the screws. I had to go to Tractor Supply just for the right washers. Then that AC wire!!!! You can't use your fingers it's so tough to bend. A set of pliers in each hand.

SkateBoard

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »
 :o

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
Yup. The smallest thing can set up back. The switch and fuse holder have recessed holes for the screws. I had to go to Tractor Supply just for the right washers. Then that AC wire!!!! You can't use your fingers it's so tough to bend. A set of pliers in each hand.

I think you meant DC wiring.  :o ::) ;)
AKA  Pep N Mem

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 02:28:29 PM »
:o

They didn't tell you it was shredded.  :'( :-[
AKA  Pep N Mem

SkateBoard

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
I think you meant DC wiring.  :o ::) ;)

No, the orange wire. 120 AC in and 120 AC out

SkateBoard

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
They didn't tell you it was shredded.  :'( :-[

Lol

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
No, the orange wire. 120 AC in and 120 AC out

Oh I see. It's 10 gauge.
AKA  Pep N Mem

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »
WOW!!  You must have a HUGE mailbox!!
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

SkateBoard

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 01:31:41 AM »
WOW!!  You must have a HUGE mailbox!!

Ha ha ha. I ordered one tube of caulking from Amazon. It came in a box 2' long, 18" wide and 4" thick.

It took 12' of 6" poplar board just to make 2 drawers yesterday. Brad nailers make short work of that.

SkateBoard

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
Some progress

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
Coming along nicely.

What is the travel intention with trailer?

SkateBoard

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »
It's for when the commies invade I can bug out.

Not really.

I'm bored and always wanted to do this and having tons and tons of fun with it. I hope to have enough done so I can bring it to work this summer a few times and spend the night then the winter time the same thing so I can work out any bugs.

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »
It's for when the commies invade I can bug out.

I think you missed the boat on that one. ;D

SkateBoard

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
I think you missed the boat on that one. ;D

Lol

Made the mistake of ordering my furnace from rvpartsnation. It's listed as waiting to ship for 2 weeks now. I looked them up online and tons of complaints.

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »
Wow this is really awesome. I love how unassuming it is. Do you have plans for windows?

Obviously this is near and dear to you bc you made it but I bet you could also sell it pretty easily if you ever wanted to. You hit every hipster buzzword; "repurposed", "van", "amazon", "commie invasion"  ;)

Also lmao at the mistake with the 400 pound piston situation.
2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
Lol

Made the mistake of ordering my furnace from rvpartsnation. It's listed as waiting to ship for 2 weeks now. I looked them up online and tons of complaints.

I ran into the same thing doing my rebuild.  RV/mobile home suppliers.  Everything was "in stock" until the order was placed.  I must have cancelled a half dozen orders over a couple months.

SkateBoard

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Yes, going to put windows in. One on the side over my head in bed. One over sink/stove area and maybe a large one on other side. My living room looks like a storage area and tomorrow I can't say, everything but the kitchen sink cause it shows up from UPS.

I work in a lab as a software engineer with about 50 PhD scientists who do research on just about anything. I have many of them involved in this process. I got tons of advice on convection, heat distribution and lectured on propane anything using up all oxygen without a fresh air source like the stove.

We have a full machine shop and 3D printers at work also but I think I'm all set. The woodwork is taking me a lot longer than I thought but still lots of fun. Haven't done it in a while. It's all yellow birch by the way. Hard stuff!!

SkateBoard

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
I ran into the same thing doing my rebuild.  RV/mobile home suppliers.  Everything was "in stock" until the order was placed.  I must have cancelled a half dozen orders over a couple months.

I'm still waiting on my propane Suburban furnace. I ordered my Champion 3400 watt inverter/generator from Lowes and will order my gas stove from Campers Inn here in town. They said it takes only one day to come in. Other then the stove I don't have any other big ticket items to buy. I've pretty much bought everything already

Bbbriggs

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 12:00:23 AM »
I have recently embarked on almost the exact same thing. I just put a deposit on a 7x14 Aluminum Haulmark v nose WT2. I will be picking it up in September in Utah on my way to New Mexico. I am from the Seattle area. Will be following your build closely. I am now debating to go with spray insulation or foam panels. Thinking of a side mount twin Murphy bed.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 01:01:19 AM by Bbbriggs »

papachaz

• ---
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »
very nicely done project, can't wait to see the finished pictures!
Chaz (DH) Jill (DW)
2013 Ameri-lite Ultralite 259 BH
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4WD

papachaz

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2017, 01:06:06 AM »
I have recently embarked on almost the exact same thing. I just put a deposit on a 7x14 Aluminum Haulmark v nose WT2. I will be picking it up in September in Utah on my way to New Mexico. I am from the Seattle area. Will be following your build closely. I am now debating to go with spray insulation or foam panels. Thinking of a side mount twin Murphy bed.

google that spray insulation, there are starting to be a LOT of complaints on it.
Chaz (DH) Jill (DW)
2013 Ameri-lite Ultralite 259 BH
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4WD

SkateBoard

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 01:58:00 AM »
The regular 4x8 sheets of insulation are real easy to cut and install. I will have more pictures by Tuesday. I have Mon and Tues off. I'm building the floor to ceiling cabinet right now that is opposite the other cabinet covering the batteries and inverter. The cabinet is in and the Magic Chef 4.3 CF fridge is in it and working. Just making all the trim and covering. It took hours to put the 3 sets of draw slides in yesterday. Laying on my side with my head in the hole, tiny screws flying off the end of my drill. What a pain.

Making the draws out of poplar wood. What nice wood to work with. I made one draw and forgot to rip the pieces first so it was too big for the opening. I did something I've never done before and wasn't sure it would work. I ran the draw on it's side 4 time through the table saw. Worked good!!! I really wasn't sure what was going to happen. With a brad nailer it takes like 2 seconds to put a draw together.

I try to use my time efficiently if possible like cutting, gluing and clamping some boards before I'm done for the day. I have 1,000's of tiny details to go back and do. The sanding alone on the wood is going to take forever before the polyurethane goes on. I took a section of yellow birch to work. I had 4 different things on it but everyone agreed they liked the polyurethane the best. For some reason it really brought out the grain. I got about 50' of board from the mill the other day and lucked out. One piece is 10' long by maybe 11" wide and has some VERY dramatic grain in it. Saving that to use on either my desk top of counter. Has 2 knots that will look great. Have to dye some epoxy then fill in the gaps so it's smooth.

SkateBoard

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2017, 02:13:25 AM »
Amazon showed up the other day. I can no longer say I have everything but the kitchen sink in my living room

FastEagle

• ---
    • Down the roads with us
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
You may have to comply with parts of this regulation when you get it tagged.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part567.xml
USN RET (PDRL)
DOD RET Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
SSA RET
http://fasteaglervparking.blogspot.com/

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part567.xml

I'd hitch to my truck, pull it through the state inspection lane, and call it a day. You research that gvt. gobbledygook too much. If everyone read and followed all that crap, we'll all be in a tornado shelter, afraid to come out.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SkateBoard

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »

Trailer is already tagged and inspection sticker. I didn't build the trailer, I bought it.

SkateBoard

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2017, 01:35:50 AM »
Spent hours yesterday putting drawer fronts and drawer pulls on. What a pain in the azz. Measuring this and that using rulers, calipers and anything else I could find. I always ended up making one hole from the back larger then the other so I could line it up properly when attaching the drawer front to the drawer.

I have one drawer that's a slide out little table next to the bed so I can put stuff on. When I installed it it was crooked like one side was in at least 3/4" more then the other. I spent at least an hour trying to figure it out. I measured the drawer slides side to side and up and down and all was fine. I measured the table for width and length and it was fine. I measured the table corner to corner and it was fine. I was stumped!!!

Anyone know?

I then took my square and put it on. I was like HOLY ****. I somehow had made a euclidean trapezoid. I think that's the term, not sure. Maybe if it was used in the fairy tale house it would be fine. I have no idea how I screwed up that bad.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2017, 05:48:15 AM »
Measure twice and cut once.   :o ::) ;D
AKA  Pep N Mem

FastEagle

• ---
    • Down the roads with us
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
Trailer is already tagged and inspection sticker. I didn't build the trailer, I bought it.

That's why I provided the certification reference. Part 567.7 in the reference outlines procedures you may not be aware of. For instance. You are changing it from a cargo trailer to a RV trailer. That information must be displayed along with a statement that it meets all safety standards.
USN RET (PDRL)
DOD RET Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
SSA RET
http://fasteaglervparking.blogspot.com/

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »
And pretty much what I said before, probably no one else reads that Gvt. gobbledygook, nor do most of us even care. There probably aren't 10 State Inspection people in the United States that know that stuff even exists, let alone know what it says.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SkateBoard

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
Major progress today and really looking like something. Will have some pics tomorrow. I bought oak composite flooring that I'll put down later. In the meantime I needed one section so I could get the proper height off the floor for trim and other panels. This one piece has been on the floor for a while. I picked it up today and wiped if off and it's still like brand new. I figured it would take a beating from the tools dropping, saw dust being ground in under my foot and everything else. I just may put half the flooring down soon since it seems to wear very good.

As I finish each drawer I'm able to stuff tons of junk into them. Two weeks ago I could barley walk around without stepping on something. I'm gonna be sanding for weeks when I'm ready to finish the wood. The belt sander is my BEST friend!!! 

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
I don't see why the OP needs to be concerned with anything beyond not exceeding the trailers manufactured weight ratings.  It's not an RV.  It isn't a motor vehicle.  It's still a trailer.  My registration for my TT doesn't state it's a TT.  It's a trailer with a weight rating, and requires typical trailer safety equipment for its rating.  I could tear the box off it tomorrow, and add suitable decking and ramps, and it would still be registered as a 6k trailer with the same gross weight and axle ratings.  It would just be carrying different things.

SkateBoard

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »
Done for a while. I'm beat. Six days working on this. Glad to go back to work tomorrow so I can relax.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:26:58 PM by SkateBoard »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
That's some nice work! Maybe you should teach carpentry at the community college. What do you estimate the final weight of your TT will be?
2016 Winnebago Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier 4x4 Crew Cab
Air Force Retired
It's not the weight of the load, it's how you carry it.

SkateBoard

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »
That's some nice work! Maybe you should teach carpentry at the community college. What do you estimate the final weight of your TT will be?

Thanks. I'm from the school of Norm Abrams. He uses a belt sander also when pieces don't line up. lol

I have no idea what the final weight will be. The trailer weighed 2,150 and can be 7,000 max. My Jeep can tow I think 6,400 so I'm guessing I'll be way under that

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »
What keep do have?
Air Force Retired

SkateBoard

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
What keep do have?

I'm assuming you meant Jeep. 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.7 V8 and tow package

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:24 AM »
I'm assuming you meant Jeep. 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.7 V8 and tow package

Sorry. Fat fingers.
Air Force Retired

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
That  sure does not look like any cargo trailer I ever saw!!  Nice work!

When are you scheduled to take it to work to show it off??
Preacher Gordon

SkateBoard

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
When are you scheduled to take it to work to show it off??

I have no idea. Everything seems to take a lot longer then I planned. The whole thing is pretty much self contained so I'm not gated by the weather. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about the counter top. It will be the biggest I've ever glued up. I may have to pay the mill to do it. I was also thinking I can do all the frame work for the bottom cabinets all along the wall then screw down one board at a time then glue the next and screw. That one top will be 7 1/2 feet long. I don't think there is any way I can get three boards straight enough to glue up.

I could also do it one 2" strip at a time. I could also cut all my boards to rough lengths then have the mill S4S them for gluing. I can also do the top in sections but that would require some type of trim board. Maybe even inlay 2" sections of cherry at the butt joints. I'll probably use my plunge router to inlay 3/4" cherry all around the top. That's easy to do and pretty dramatic when done.

There is enough done at this point I could actually pull the trailer to some remote place and work on it instead of at my mechanics shop for a change.

Anyways, I'm doing this as a project/hobby and enjoying it with no time table in mind. I would like it to be done for the winter so I can test out it's ability in the cold weather.

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
I have no idea. Everything seems to take a lot longer then I planned. The whole thing is pretty much self contained so I'm not gated by the weather. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about the counter top. It will be the biggest I've ever glued up. I may have to pay the mill to do it. I was also thinking I can do all the frame work for the bottom cabinets all along the wall then screw down one board at a time then glue the next and screw. That one top will be 7 1/2 feet long. I don't think there is any way I can get three boards straight enough to glue up.

I could also do it one 2" strip at a time. I could also cut all my boards to rough lengths then have the mill S4S them for gluing. I can also do the top in sections but that would require some type of trim board. Maybe even inlay 2" sections of cherry at the butt joints. I'll probably use my plunge router to inlay 3/4" cherry all around the top. That's easy to do and pretty dramatic when done.

There is enough done at this point I could actually pull the trailer to some remote place and work on it instead of at my mechanics shop for a change.

Anyways, I'm doing this as a project/hobby and enjoying it with no time table in mind. I would like it to be done for the winter so I can test out it's ability in the cold weather.

You lost me at "I have no idea".
Air Force Retired

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »
You lost me at "I have no idea".

I think he was replying to what Gordon asked:  When are you scheduled to take it to work to show it off??
AKA  Pep N Mem

SkateBoard

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2017, 08:41:18 AM »
I think he was replying to what Gordon asked:  When are you scheduled to take it to work to show it off??

Yes

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2017, 09:23:07 AM »
Yes

What I was alluding to was everything after "I have no idea" is Greek to me. The technical aspect of his phenomenal carpentry work and future plans.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:24:40 AM by Oldgator73 »
Air Force Retired

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
What type of top do you plan?  I got confused, too!  I follow 7 1/2ft long.  Is it a laminate top?  Is it a stacked hardwood top?  Why is the length a problem?

Formica over plywood - cut the Formica sheet to fit the wall perfectly, and a bit too big on the other dimensions.  Get the back properly placed, glue down,  then router or file the other edges to fit.

Stacked hardwood - plane to the same height.  Carefully glue and screw each board in place on the counter, then sand the finished product.

Or am I missing something big?
Preacher Gordon

SkateBoard

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2017, 12:49:19 AM »
What type of top do you plan?  I got confused, too!  I follow 7 1/2ft long.  Is it a laminate top?  Is it a stacked hardwood top?  Why is the length a problem?

Not my first rodeo at this. Gluing long pieces of wood is not easy or fun. Wood planks that long are not usually straight. 1/32" out at the start puts you way off down the line. You can't rip a 7' long board and get a clean cut. You can't joiner an edge that wide and get it straight on a board that long.

I may build the top in sections and do inlay giving the appearance of a continuous top. Maybe like a dumbbell, bow tie or deadmen anchor design. Still thinking about it.

My desk here at home has a 2" solid oak top that's 5 1/2 long. That was no picnic. It was finished with just multiple coats of sanding sealer over 25 years ago and still looks great. That also has 3/4" cherry inlay

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2017, 05:21:21 AM »
The most amazing thing is how uncluttered your desktop is.
Air Force Retired

SkateBoard

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2017, 05:26:28 AM »
The most amazing thing is how uncluttered your desktop is.

LMAO.....I moved all the sh** before taking the pic

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2017, 07:37:42 AM »
I feel better now.
Air Force Retired

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
I bow to your experience!  That desk is beautiful!!

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then an empty desk ...   ;D
Preacher Gordon

SkateBoard

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2017, 09:35:59 PM »
I bow to your experience!  That desk is beautiful!!

If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then an empty desk ...   ;D

lol

jks

• ---
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
/* very nice*/

SkateBoard

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 10:32:34 AM »
/* very nice*/

/* Lol....C comment? */

//
// Thanks
//

jks

• ---
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
Most people that work in the IT field usually do not have an affinity to take on projects such as this. Good for you.

SkateBoard

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2017, 09:03:48 PM »
In case anyone is thinking what a crappy job on the paneling on the left, it's not installed. Both sections are being held up with just one brad nail each and no glue. I needed them out of the way. Suppose I should glue them up this weekend.

Nothing has been done with the back wall yet. You can see it's two sheets of plywood hung horizontally. The top sheet has to come off so I can put two 3/4" pieces of plywood in the gap between the plywood and the outer sheet metal. That will be the support and backing for the AC unit and generator gas tank so I can lag bolt and install supports. That's why I haven't installed the AC unit yet.

I have yet to do the test with my Champion 3400/3100 generator running my ginormous 15,000btu AC unit. This sort of has to be done in one shot. I can't throw the AC unit into the back of my Jeep then back home again. I need to do the test then install it in one shot. If for some reason it doesn't work I don't want to cut the hole in the back.

satxron

• ---
  • 2000 Tiffin Allegro
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
I guess no recommendations so I ordered this one

Sorry, you are ahead of me. I would have done an AC unit with a heat strip. Same area occupied both services hot and cold. 15,000 BTU for 700 cubic feet? That is too much AC I think. You need 8-10,000 for 14*7*7 area.

Motorhomes under 32 feet use 15,000 to cool the whole unit. So I am thinking, always a dangerous thing, you have double the AC needs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:01:31 PM by satxron »
San Antonio Texas
Little old class A packed with lots of fun.

SkateBoard

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2017, 01:16:18 AM »
That would mean to get heat I would have to run the generator pretty much non stop in the cold if I went with the AC/Heat combo. Ya, 15,000 is overkill but I've always done that. I'm from NH, I can take the cold but NOT the heat at all. In the winter I sleep with no heat in the bedroom, window open down to 20F.

satxron

• ---
  • 2000 Tiffin Allegro
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2017, 10:29:23 AM »
I didn't think about needing the generator for heat, you are right.

Too much AC you won't be able to get the humidity down though was my worry. If you are cool before you evaporate I worry about mildews.
San Antonio Texas

SkateBoard

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2017, 11:31:37 AM »
Here is a pic of me in Las Vegas in a similar trailer with a 15,000 BTU AC. None of the other RV's could cool themselves. I also did an experiment that day. I didn't turn the AC until about an hour later. It was 168 inside. It took about 1/2 an hour to get down to 67. Once it got there the compressor did not kick on much.  The humidity was around 40%. I don't think it was humid that day anyway.

Only worked about 4 hours today. The heat and sun has been a killer this week.

satxron

• ---
  • 2000 Tiffin Allegro
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Here is a pic of me in Las Vegas in a similar trailer with a 15,000 BTU AC. None of the other RV's could cool themselves. I also did an experiment that day. I didn't turn the AC until about an hour later. It was 168 inside. It took about 1/2 an hour to get down to 67. Once it got there the compressor did not kick on much.  The humidity was around 40%. I don't think it was humid that day anyway.

Only worked about 4 hours today. The heat and sun has been a killer this week.

70% humidity is the moisture levels I was talking about. The AC unit needs to run long enough to dry the air. But if they work for you that is all that matters.  Everything you are doing looks really good. 
San Antonio Texas

SkateBoard

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2017, 04:42:49 AM »
70% humidity is the moisture levels I was talking about. The AC unit needs to run long enough to dry the air. But if they work for you that is all that matters.  Everything you are doing looks really good.

It didn't dawn on me until yesterday when I realized what you were talking about. That makes sense. I think I'll get a humidity gauge and keep an eye on it. I don't do well in the heat at all. I'm wondering if I set the temp for 70 the compressor would cycle on and off instead of running like gang busters non stop.

No pictures today. Lots of crap work I didn't want to do this weekend. More floor with insulation, more wall with insulation and installed the door for filling the fresh water. That required making a back board for the inside plus another one for the intake and exhaust for the propane Suburban furnace. All stuff I really don't enjoy doing. I'm now ready to make the kitchen counter that will hold the sink, gas stove/oven and counter top. I spent a few hours ripping 5/4 pine into 1" sections so I can build the frame. Next week I should make a major progress then it's back to all the other crap like water pump, plumbing, gas lines, electrical and everything else that's not glamorous.

SkateBoard

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2017, 02:11:13 AM »
Get to make the counter top this weekend

Hosted by Over The Network