Cargo trailer conversion project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grashley said:
WOW!!  You must have a HUGE mailbox!!

Ha ha ha. I ordered one tube of caulking from Amazon. It came in a box 2' long, 18" wide and 4" thick.

It took 12' of 6" poplar board just to make 2 drawers yesterday. Brad nailers make short work of that.

Some progress

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 87
It's for when the commies invade I can bug out.

Not really.

I'm bored and always wanted to do this and having tons and tons of fun with it. I hope to have enough done so I can bring it to work this summer a few times and spend the night then the winter time the same thing so I can work out any bugs.

Gods Country said:
I think you missed the boat on that one. ;D

Lol

Made the mistake of ordering my furnace from rvpartsnation. It's listed as waiting to ship for 2 weeks now. I looked them up online and tons of complaints.

Wow this is really awesome. I love how unassuming it is. Do you have plans for windows?

Obviously this is near and dear to you bc you made it but I bet you could also sell it pretty easily if you ever wanted to. You hit every hipster buzzword; "repurposed", "van", "amazon", "commie invasion"  ;)

Also lmao at the mistake with the 400 pound piston situation.

SkateBoard said:
Lol

Made the mistake of ordering my furnace from rvpartsnation. It's listed as waiting to ship for 2 weeks now. I looked them up online and tons of complaints.

I ran into the same thing doing my rebuild.  RV/mobile home suppliers.  Everything was "in stock" until the order was placed.  I must have cancelled a half dozen orders over a couple months.

Yes, going to put windows in. One on the side over my head in bed. One over sink/stove area and maybe a large one on other side. My living room looks like a storage area and tomorrow I can't say, everything but the kitchen sink cause it shows up from UPS.

I work in a lab as a software engineer with about 50 PhD scientists who do research on just about anything. I have many of them involved in this process. I got tons of advice on convection, heat distribution and lectured on propane anything using up all oxygen without a fresh air source like the stove.

We have a full machine shop and 3D printers at work also but I think I'm all set. The woodwork is taking me a lot longer than I thought but still lots of fun. Haven't done it in a while. It's all yellow birch by the way. Hard stuff!!

Gods Country said:
I ran into the same thing doing my rebuild.  RV/mobile home suppliers.  Everything was "in stock" until the order was placed.  I must have cancelled a half dozen orders over a couple months.

I'm still waiting on my propane Suburban furnace. I ordered my Champion 3400 watt inverter/generator from Lowes and will order my gas stove from Campers Inn here in town. They said it takes only one day to come in. Other then the stove I don't have any other big ticket items to buy. I've pretty much bought everything already

I have recently embarked on almost the exact same thing. I just put a deposit on a 7x14 Aluminum Haulmark v nose WT2. I will be picking it up in September in Utah on my way to New Mexico. I am from the Seattle area. Will be following your build closely. I am now debating to go with spray insulation or foam panels. Thinking of a side mount twin Murphy bed.

Attachments

• IMG_262.jpg
    IMG_262.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 28
Bbbriggs said:
I have recently embarked on almost the exact same thing. I just put a deposit on a 7x14 Aluminum Haulmark v nose WT2. I will be picking it up in September in Utah on my way to New Mexico. I am from the Seattle area. Will be following your build closely. I am now debating to go with spray insulation or foam panels. Thinking of a side mount twin Murphy bed.

google that spray insulation, there are starting to be a LOT of complaints on it.

The regular 4x8 sheets of insulation are real easy to cut and install. I will have more pictures by Tuesday. I have Mon and Tues off. I'm building the floor to ceiling cabinet right now that is opposite the other cabinet covering the batteries and inverter. The cabinet is in and the Magic Chef 4.3 CF fridge is in it and working. Just making all the trim and covering. It took hours to put the 3 sets of draw slides in yesterday. Laying on my side with my head in the hole, tiny screws flying off the end of my drill. What a pain.

Making the draws out of poplar wood. What nice wood to work with. I made one draw and forgot to rip the pieces first so it was too big for the opening. I did something I've never done before and wasn't sure it would work. I ran the draw on it's side 4 time through the table saw. Worked good!!! I really wasn't sure what was going to happen. With a brad nailer it takes like 2 seconds to put a draw together.

I try to use my time efficiently if possible like cutting, gluing and clamping some boards before I'm done for the day. I have 1,000's of tiny details to go back and do. The sanding alone on the wood is going to take forever before the polyurethane goes on. I took a section of yellow birch to work. I had 4 different things on it but everyone agreed they liked the polyurethane the best. For some reason it really brought out the grain. I got about 50' of board from the mill the other day and lucked out. One piece is 10' long by maybe 11" wide and has some VERY dramatic grain in it. Saving that to use on either my desk top of counter. Has 2 knots that will look great. Have to dye some epoxy then fill in the gaps so it's smooth.

Amazon showed up the other day. I can no longer say I have everything but the kitchen sink in my living room

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 40
You may have to comply with parts of this regulation when you get it tagged.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part567.xml

FastEagle said:
You may have to comply with parts of this regulation when you get it tagged.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/xml/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-part567.xml

I'd hitch to my truck, pull it through the state inspection lane, and call it a day. You research that gvt. gobbledygook too much. If everyone read and followed all that crap, we'll all be in a tornado shelter, afraid to come out.

Back
Top Bottom