Generator on but no power.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

Last week I used my generator and everything was fine.  Ran both AC units and a shop vac no problem.

A few days ago I posted about the carbon monoxide detector light being on and decided to turn off the coach side power.

Today I fired up the Generator and no power was at any of the plugs.
Then I noticed that the coach switch was off.  I turned it on - no difference.

I stopped the generator and turned the switch on and off - I can hear it click.
Started the Generator and no-go again.

I looked in my manual and it stated low batteries of less than 10.5 volts could keep the switch from switching.
I checked my batteries with a meter and they show 12.48 volts - so should be good to go.

Since I hear the click I would assume (I know that's dangerous) that the switch is working.

I waited thinking maybe it needed some time to switch.

Before I switched the switch (didn't remember it was off) I was at the AC controls and they would not show anything on the screen.
Then I remembered and switched the switch.  Then the display worked - however the AC never kicked on nor did any outlets work.

The last time I used the generator and everything was fine I didn't do anything except start it and wait 3-4 minutes and then
started turning on stuff.  Main motor is off during both sessions.

Any ideas what to check.  I wanted to change the oil and filters on the generator today but with no load on it I may have to pass.
Unless someone comes up with something that will work ASAP because daylight is burning and I need to do this soon if I want it done today.

Thanks for any help or ideas to try. 

Several options on RV's but in the "Basic" mode... Outlets get power directly from either SHORE or Generator power. So does the AC, water heater and fridge, but they use Battery power (or converter power) for control so will  not work absent 12v.

However some RV's have "Energy Management" systems by Intelletec.. This system (And competitors if any) may use battery power for control as well (I do not know) and may affect outlets.

But  many questions.. The first being do you have a system that sheds loads when you are on lower than 50 amp power? (THe one mentioned above)

Two, Portable generator or "Built in"

Do you have an auto transfer switch or a plug into the outlet system

Check breakers on Generator,

IF portable Generator plug a trouble lamp into it and make sure it lights

Report back and we go to the next level.

Yes it's built in - not a portable.  It's a Generac 7500 QD.

Sheds loads?  Don't think so.  Hooked to 20amp power everything still works I just don't try to run both AC's at the same time
when on lower power - with the generator I can run both plus just about what ever else I want all at the same time.

Auto transfer - Like I said last week I used it and everything was fine.

I believe there is one fuse at the generator - will check that tomorrow.

I'm thinking this started because I fired up the generator with the coach power switch set to off.
Then even turning it back on there was no power coming from the generator.  The LED came back on like normal but no power.

On mine there was a circuit braker along the bottom edge about dead center.  All I saw was the word OFF.  I threw the switch and had power.  It was a strange location and not well marked.  Good Luck.

UPDATE.

Before I started the generator the other day I decided to clean it off some as it was looking pretty dusty/dirty sitting up front like it does.

In the process of cleaning it - it appears I MIGHT have bumped the "Line Breaker" toggle switch.

I check the fuse at the generator and clean the holder up some thinking that was a long shot to fix my problem.
Because it worked last week I thought it was probably something small.

Going back the the generator again I did find the switch in the down position.  It has a rubber boot over it and it's not real clear to see through.
Flipping that switch made all the difference and I now have power back from the generator.

Thanks for the ideas.  I learned something in the process so I guess it wasn't a total loss.

Back
Top Bottom