Generator or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog

All,
I am a newbie and looking at Grand Design 5th wheel.  I was planning on buying a generator to have in the back of the truck but didn't realize you could actually get them already on board with a 5th wheel.  Now the question?  Not familiar with propane generators.  Do they work okay from a readability stand point or is it one of those items where you ask yourself why you spent the money?  I don't see a lot of use for the generator as I am not planning to do much boon docking, but it sure would be handy to already be on board.

I think GD sells an Onan 5.5kw LP Generator if bought with trailer.

Suggestions?  Better off getting LP generator in the trailer or just getting something a lot cheaper to set in bed of truck?

Thanks....Ricky

I finally figured out the search thing and see this topic has been heated in the past.  :D

I think the reliability question was answered in the search but would still love to hear pros / cons of the LP versus putting a gas generator in the back of a truck if folks don't mind responding to a topic that has threads close to the same topic in the past.

Peopane Generators suck a LOT of propane.. I have seen Gasoline generators on a 5ER, they use Marine type tanks (like for an outboard motor) .

Do you need a generator.. I recommend a portable in many cases.. WHY

Well in addition to the RV you should have a proper INLET and generator transfer panel put on the house.. That way when the power company lets you down.. You still have a "Back up plan"  A very nice one.. I suggest a pair parallellable Inverter generatorws 2000 watts or better or at single inverter job in the 3-4 thousand watt range.

ONLY put 120 volt devices on the transfer panel (NO Central A/C. ELectric Range or Cloths Dryer)

Reliability of an LP genset is great, but the energy content of LP is only 73% of gasoline, so it sucks more fuel per hour and the LP storage on most trailers is relatively small.  Most people think gas is easier to re-fuel than LP as well, i.e. you can nearly always find a gallon or two of gas somewhere in case of need.

Why I love having a built in generator:

1. Boondocking, or even having to overnight in a parking lot, is simple and easy.

2. When traveling in hot areas of the country, I can start the generator and air conditioning an hour or so before our arrival and have a cool trailer when we get to our destination.

3. A built in generator is extremely quiet.

4. I never have to load or unload a generator, or run an electric cord.

5. If the weather is inclement or if it's dark when we arrive at our destination, I can fire up the generator and worry about hooking everything up when the weather is better or the sun comes up.

Those are a few of my big reasons. My kids are still toddlers and we have a need for AC power almost all the time. I've "been there, done that" with a generator in the back of the truck and don't care to ever do it again.

I can't comment on LP vs. gas. But, as a newbie with a TT, I went thru the decision process last year about whether to get a generator before our maiden voyage 6-month trip last year. I finally decided that if we really found we needed one during the trip, we would buy one. We never got one. Yes, we could have used a generator once or twice, but we managed.  We found that, with proper power management,  we could last two nights and only drain our small battery (24) not even 50%.

If I did/do get one, it will be small, like 2000 watt. It would be in the back of the truck, which would be a PITA.

Everybody is different.

Good luck,
Dan

For the small amount of time you anticipate boondocking, IMHO your best bet is a portable. First, you don't need to carry it all the time. Second, it will be useful for other things like power loss at home, etc. You will get more bang for the buck. Later on, if you decide you are boondocking more, you can still get a built-in and sell/keep the portable.

I'm with lone_star_dsl.
Its there when you need it.  Considering you don't think you will need it very often, the heavy propane use is no real issue.

If you put one in the truck, you will also need a gas can; an extension; and adapters; etc.. More room gone.  AND When you think you won't need it and therefore don't take it...You will end up needing it/wishing you had it.

Even though its built in, it can still be used as an emergency back up for your stick and brick as John From Detroit eluded to.  Years ago I sold my generator just for that reason. For an emergency back up for stick and brick I can run extension cords to things I need alternating what is plugged in and turned on as needed.

Thanks all....some very good points and food for thought all around.

I have a feeling that lone_star_dsl sealed my fate with " I can start the generator and air conditioning an hour or so before our arrival and have a cool trailer when we get to our destination".  When my better half sees this comment she will be telling me what to do.  ;D

I probably would not use a portable at the house as I live in the big burbs.  In 30 years of living in this area I can count the number of times on both hands that we have been without electricity.  The longest was for 8 hours when a transformer blew on my street.  The other times have been only 20 or 30 minutes after a storm.

If you park the RV at home. have a 30 amp circuit put in to an outlet (Twist lock is good here) on the outside or in a compartment. That can (And in my case DID) feed the house when the power company failed to do so.  and alas, in today's world of cut maintenance to the bone and fix it when it breaks instead of doing preventative maintenance.. IT (The local power company) WILL FAIL.

I think perhaps the big decision is the size (watts) of the genset. A little portable, e.g. 1000W, can easily recharge batteries and extend boondocking time indefinitely, but if you want to run larger appliances such as coffee makers & microwaves you need 1800-2000W. To run an a/c, 3000w is a must. A 2000W genset is still portable (luggable?), but beyond that they get to be a real chore and a fixed onboard unit makes more sense. Or a pair of smaller portables wired together.

If Mama wants the a/c to be usable, bite the bullet for the larger one built in, and make sure the fuel system (whether LP or gasoline or diesel) is adequate for the anticipated run time. If you have it, you will probably want to use it more often.

Back
Top Bottom