Wacky Internet access problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Where is Ned when I need him? I have used Comcast for the last few years for my wired Internet connection. I have really hated them because of their customer service. I have had to deal with them several times and each time it was a horrible experience. Last month out of the blue Comcast calls me to tell me I am behind on my bill. How can that be? It is automatically deducted from my checking account each month. So I call them and they tell me I have a new account number and that they can't automatically deduct my payment because of the new account number. Huh? So I pay my bill and get my account straightened out and I decided it was time to change to a new provider. I had tried to sign up with CenturyLink but on their website they claim they can't service my address. Well I see a CenturyLink van out at the main cable service box so I stopped by and asked the tech if I could get service. He says yes and gives me a business card. So I call CL and set up service. When I call Comcast to cancel my service two weeks ago they simply did not want to take no for an answer. Kept asking me what they could do to keep me as a customer. I told them to fire the entire company and start over. They didn't see the humor. They offered to give me free cable channels. I don't have cable TV and I am not signing up for it.

So tonight I was surfing the web and all of the sudden I got taken to a Comcast Activation page:

https://activator-web-main.b1.app.cloud.comcast.net/Activate/walledGarden

No matter what link I clicked on it took me to this page. Now this is strange. It acts like a virus but I am using a Chromebook which cannot get a virus. I tried using the Internet by connecting to my MetroPCS hotspot on my phone and the computer worked normally. I did a search for Comcast activation virus and got a few hits that came with a few suggestions on how to remove it and everything failed. Of course the fixes were trying to fix a virus in the machine that has no virus. Clearing history, cookies, and the like. I go to my Windows laptop and I get the same Comcast Activation page.

So now I am thinking that Comcast has managed to give my modem a virus and they want me to clear it by signing back up for Comcast service. I am going to replace the modem tomorrow when Best Buy opens unless someone has a better idea. I did unplug the modem and let it rest for a half an hour but that did not solve the problem. I never did click on the big Continue button on the activation page for fear it would make things worse. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So was this post sent through Comcast or CenturyLink? 

Which one are you currently connected to?

In all my life the worst company I have ever dealt with is Comcast. So I understand your frustration.

It looks like you're still physically connected to Comcast (Xfinity) cable and they cancelled your service like you asked.

This means the Comcast server no longer recognizes your modem as having a valid account, so it routes you to the signup page so you can enter the account information.  Just like connecting a new cable modem that hasn't been activated.

I doubt you have any kind of a virus.

Call CenturyLink and verify that you're actually connected to them.  You could still be on the Comcast cable.

Well it looks like you guys were right. I still don't have the problem solved but I am getting closer. I got in touch with CenturyLink and they told me I was still connected to Comcast. So I got in touch with Comcast and they said I was still a customer. So I had them cancel my service. Then back to CL and they could not solve the problem so they are going to have to send out a tech. My guess is that Comcast hooked me back up yesterday and disconnected CL. They have no idea when they will be out here to solve this but meanwhile I am using my phone's hot spot to have Internet access, which is costing me money. Thanks for your help guys.

I have not dealt with Comcast (Xfinity) perdsonally but I have on behalf of a 3rd party. They are crooked and will continue billing even after you cancel service.

Question: Did a Century instsaller come out and change your modem? Hook up new lines?  if not then you still have comcast.

John From Detroit said:
I have not dealt with Comcast (Xfinity) perdsonally but I have on behalf of a 3rd party. They are crooked and will continue billing even after you cancel service.

Question: Did a Century instsaller come out and change your modem? Hook up new lines?  if not then you still have comcast.
He did not change my modem. I own the modem and the CenturyLink salesman told me I could keep it and it would work with CL.
They can keep on billing and I will not pay.

Not sure that salesman knew what he was talking about, or he misunderstood the question. AFIK, Century Link supplies an ADSL service, not cable and the two are not at all compatible. I think you need to obtain an ADSL modem by either buying one or renting it from Century Link. Might be wise to rent one at least initially and have it installed by Century Link, and don't let the installer out of the RV until it works properly.

By the way, service from either place is ..... well, about the same!! I dropped Century Link in favour of Comcast several years ago as I no longer needed a home phone, but YMMV!!! (You might inquire about a "Dry Loop" connection (no phone service required, if that is your situation!!)

Alfa38User said:
Not sure that salesman knew what he was talking about, or he misunderstood the question. AFIK, Century Link supplies an ADSL service, not cable and the two are not at all compatible. I think you need to obtain an ADSL modem by either buying one or renting it from Century Link. Might be wise to rent one at least initially and have it installed by Century Link, and don't let the installer out of the RV until it works properly.

By the way, service from either place is ..... well, about the same!! I dropped Century Link in favour of Comcast several years ago as I no longer needed a home phone, but YMMV!!! (You might inquire about a "Dry Loop" connection (no phone service required, if that is your situation!!)
I think he did know what he was talking about. The modem worked just fine for two weeks until Comcast disconnected me. Yes, their service is the same, exact same speed. However Comcast customer service really sucks compared to CLs CS. And CL is cheaper per month. One of Comcast's biggest problems is every month the bill is different and usually wrong. Calling to complain about a billing error takes at least an hour on the phone talking to four different departments. At each department I must explain my problem, give my name, address, phone number and account number. It gets really exhausting. I believe that a dry loop is what I have.

We dropped Time Warner/Spectrum's cable Internet service at our Adirondack cottage and an expensive Verizon 4G plan in our motorhome, and now use our AT&T cell based 4G/LTE Internet services exclusively, with a gray market Verizon 3G plan as a backup. Our total cost for unlimited Internet service in our motorhome is now $25/mo, and $60/mo for 250GB Internet and unlimited home phone service at the cottage, plus taxes of course.

NY_Dutch said:
We dropped Time Warner/Spectrum's cable Internet service at our Adirondack cottage and an expensive Verizon 4G plan in our motorhome, and now use our AT&T cell based 4G/LTE Internet services exclusively, with a gray market Verizon 3G plan as a backup. Our total cost for unlimited Internet service in our motorhome is now $25/mo, and $60/mo for 250GB Internet and unlimited home phone service at the cottage, plus taxes of course.
I am very happy with the price and service of CenturyLink. I stream all day long without issue. $25 per month.

It sounds like your email may have been switched over to CL but you were accessing it and the Internet through Comcast until they disconnected you.

Did you reprogram your modem when you switched services?

Lou Schneider said:
It sounds like your email may have been switched over to CL but you were accessing it and the Internet through Comcast until they disconnected you.

Did you reprogram your modem when you switched services?
I don't think my email has anything to do with the problem. I use Gmail. No they did not reprogram the modem.

I don't know how it works at your location, but around here, cable is separate from phone ASDL...and never the twain shall meet.  Typically, cable is provided by only one service via contract with the community being served.  If you still had ComCast when the CenturyLink installer came out, he may have set it up to access CenturyLink via ComCast's cable service which would mean the CenturyLink connection would depend upon the ComCast cable service.  A dumb way to do it, if that's what happened and CenturyLink owes you a free service call to correct it and, as mentioned, an ASDL modem (rent or you buy).

One way to determine if this is what has happened is to look at your current modem.  Besides the fact that it should have some identifying information on the label, if it is a cable modem, chances are the incoming line is a coax.  If it is an ASDL modem, the input line will be a phone line.  If it is coax then it is still depending on ComCast service.

The incoming signal is a coaxial but I think it is the right cable. The tech will be here at nine tomorrow morning and I will find out what the story is.

SeilerBird said:
The incoming signal is a coaxial but I think it is the right cable. The tech will be here at nine tomorrow morning and I will find out what the story is.
I'm pretty sure that means it is "cable" service which will only be provided by one provider typically.  I suppose it is possible for CenturyLink to lease use of the cable, but I've never heard of it.  Guess you'll know tomorrow, but I would expect a modem change to ADSL.

I know this is a basic question, so please don't be offended.

What type connectors are used in the back of the "modem"? If it has a coax or optical input, it's a Cable Modem, like Comcast uses. An ADSL modem uses a phone line, so it only has an RJ12 input connector. The two are in no way compatible and the Internet speeds are irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom