Appliance ?s - Which type hot water heater is the best in MHs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SissyBoyFloyd

Are the one's that supply constant/instant hot water better than the traditional ones with 6 gal capacity tied to the truck's radiator for instant hot water? 

Isn't technology a bit behind in many area of MHs?  And why a water pump?  Why not mount the water tank on top of MH and let gravity do its thing in place of the pump?  It doesn't have to be the traditional thick round thing.  It could be short, flat, wide and/or long.  There also has to be a simple way to fill it up by capturing rain water on those rainy days too.  For instance, an umbrella type thing could automatically open up when it is raining hard to capture and drain into the water tank, then close automatically when the rain stops.  Or design the tank to open itself up like a refrigerator lying on its back, the doors could just open way out to a 45 degree angle or the like.

How about a small windmill on top of MH to recharge batteries?  No shortage of wind when driving down the road.

And while I am thinking about it, are those small washing machines that have the dryer built in any good?  Or, if space allows, a normal size washer and separate dryer the best option in a coach?

And having a dish washer in a MH?  Just something to rattle when going down the road IMO.  It would make a good place to simply store your dishes and let them drain/dry, saving cupboard space maybe?

One more thing, do we really need propane for the fridge or to heat the MH any longer?  Wouldn't the A/C w/ the heat strip do an adequate job without needing the propane?  Wouldn't that save us money on buying a new coach if that propane tank and heater were eliminated, giving us more outside storage as well?  Do we need a heater in most MHs anyway?  Might an electric blanket do the trick at night for those of us who follow the sun anyway?

Just a few appliance type thoughts!

Now wait a minute:  Here comes the big one!  Why not be the first MH manufacturer to include in its warranty a free service tech for the first week of ownership, to travel with you, teach and train you on operational things, while adjusting and fixing all the little things that aren't right on the coach.  That should bring all the potential buyers your way.

BinaryBob said:
You have a vivid imagination, but I think it's getting the better of you........

Sometimes its like I am playing chess while the rest of the world is playing checkers.

Yeah, those are getting a bit out there.  Reminds me of my young nephew's idea to make an amphibious balloon launcher for his science project using a pair of industrial hydrogen cylinders as raft floats. Hydrogen's lighter than air so the tanks should make great pontoons, right?

Windmill while driving? TANSTAAFL.  Windmills create drag, cutting the MPG by an amount equal or greater than the power you generate.

Water tank on the roof?  Ignore the handling effects of mounting an 400 - 800 lb tank of sloshing water up that high.  To get the 40 PSI produced by the water pump the tank would have to be 90 ft. higher than the shower head (0.432 psi per foot of elevation).

I'll leave the rest for you to ponder further.

Lou Schneider said:
Windmill while driving? TANSTAAFL

Wait! I've got it. Replace the engine with an electric motor powered by the windmill - perpetual motion! 'Course tailwinds are a problem, and you can never stop, but hey!

Several of the things you suggest are already available from various manufacturers or after market sources, including the week of a service tech's time (often called VIP Delivery and an option on several high-line models).  A few of the items are simply bad science and others have already commented on those.

The notion of "better" technology' depends largely on your particular wants and needs. Propane is better if you don't have a convenient source of electric power. Water pumps are widely used in residences as well as Rvs and, while tried and true, are hardly obsolete technology.

All-electric RVs with no propane at all are rather common these days. A/c heat pumps are standard on many models. So are separate washers & dryers, dishwashers, etc. Maybe you need to look around more.

All-electric RVs with no propane at all are rather common these days. A/c heat pumps are standard on many models. So are separate washers & dryers,

My 2016 Ventana has all that (including separate washer and dryer) and more (so did my 2007 Beaver, except there was a propane cook top) -- cook top is induction cooking, microwave/convection oven gives us dual purpose use, baking very nicely. And hot water is the same source as the furnace (no propane), hydronic heating (Oasis, much like Aqua Hot, which was in my Beaver) which uses diesel and/or electric, plus is heated by the engine when it runs, so we have furnace and hot water enroute when needed.

Wouldn't the A/C w/ the heat strip do an adequate job...
That's only good down to temps in the '40s, and is noisier than the hydronic systems which use engine heat while on the road.

Back
Top Bottom