travel trailer hitch,weight distrubution hitch??Help or overkill???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmy87903

I have a Fleetwood mallard 18 c/k 2007 model.The trailer is 22' in length,I pull this trailer with a 2000 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 z-71 pickup.The gvwr on this unit is 5600lbs,uvw is 3690,ccc is 1517.The tounge weight is around 350 lbs on this unit and I'm usually loaded on the heavy side.I know this is a very small travel trailer but would a weight distribution hitch with sway control be any advantage?I could possibly go a little larger on my tt down the road,maybe up to a 26' ultra light and a weight hitch there would definitely be a advantage.I drive a tractor trailer for a living and know the ins and outs of towing and will never out power my truck with too small a vehicle but also want the correct setup to do it.This unit pulls good on major highways at 55,but on the interstate at 65 or 70 its a little different.I will also add my travel trailer is level on my hitch within a inch to inch and a half,I was thinking a wd hitch might help me dial this in a little closer also.If anybody has any opinions they would be appreciated,Im currently looking at a curt sway control kit,or the same brand wd at a rating of 7500lbs.Thx

jimmy87903 said:
The tounge weight is around 350 lbs on this unit and I'm usually loaded on the heavy side.

Based on this comment alone I'm guessing your tongue weight is more in the neighborhood of 500 - 600 lbs. I'd say a WD hitch couldn't hurt. We towed a 3500 lb GVWR popup for 2 years that pulled fairly well but it had a lot of tongue weight due to a "garage" up front. Our 7,000 lb TT with a WD hitch actually towed much easier.

Do you notice a fish tailing of the trailer when you are passed by a Semi out on the Interstate?

When you are in a crosswind situation do you feel the trailer trying to move the truck?

Does your truck steering feel light?

If yes to one or two of these, then I would say it would be a darn good investment.

Look at an Equalizer 4 Way,  best product I ever bought.

https://www.equalizerhitch.com

I'm going to say since you notice sway control issues at higher speed you probably weigh in high (as you stated), and are probably a little closer to the trucks comfortable towing ability then you may think.  I'm sure you would benefit from a weight distribution hitch, especially the sway control.  70mph is pretty fast in general to pull a trailer for an extended period IMO. 

I would pull the trigger on one and I suspect it will be quite noticeable.

jimmy87903 said:
I have a Fleetwood mallard 18 c/k 2007 model.The trailer is 22' in length,I pull this trailer with a 2000 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 z-71 pickup.The gvwr on this unit is 5600lbs,uvw is 3690,ccc is 1517.The tounge weight is around 350 lbs on this unit and I'm usually loaded on the heavy side.I know this is a very small travel trailer but would a weight distribution hitch with sway control be any advantage?I could possibly go a little larger on my tt down the road,maybe up to a 26' ultra light and a weight hitch there would definitely be a advantage.I drive a tractor trailer for a living and know the ins and outs of towing and will never out power my truck with too small a vehicle but also want the correct setup to do it.This unit pulls good on major highways at 55,but on the interstate at 65 or 70 its a little different.I will also add my travel trailer is level on my hitch within a inch to inch and a half,I was thinking a wd hitch might help me dial this in a little closer also.If anybody has any opinions they would be appreciated,Im currently looking at a curt sway control kit,or the same brand wd at a rating of 7500lbs.Thx
I pull my 1992 Fleetwood wildneress, 22h ( 22ft ), its rated at 4000 lbs, 750 tongue weight. I bought a pro series WDH, 1000lb spring bars, 10k WDH rating. complete kit, very pleased with it so far. my truck is a 2000 chevy Silverado, 5.3L, 2WD, towing package. 3.73 gears, I have no problem pulling this camper with this set-up.

Hello Joe, Tom,
Joezeppy said:
Tom Hoffman said:
Look at an Equalizer 4 Way,  best product I ever bought.
https://www.equalizerhitch.com
X2!!!

I know nothing about pulling a TT, specially about these special hitches (as explained here, all my original planning and researching has been oriented towards 5thWheels).

As I further commented here, my current "dream setup"  is to have a light-medium camper (a NorthStar 12 STC or similar) as the "house", on top of a 3500HD RAM CC 4WD LB SRW (or DRW if the SRW can't take it) pulling a 21ft toy hauler TT.

Would a hitch like the Equalizer 4 Way also help in that scenario? Would it "project" down from the truck or in some other way reduce ground clearing? What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your considerations.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

I am a firm believer in Equilizer hitches with even middle-sized trailers. We started installing them about 20 years ago on a big pop up. The pop up only weighed 3000 pounds or so, but it was long and we were pulling it with a big SUV. The difference in control was significant. Even for the OP's trailer, I think he would really notice a difference. As for Val and Mo, I don't know anything about pickup campers, but trailers generally benefit from sway control at any length and weight distribution at even low lengths.

Val, 

Best way to answer your question is to look on  their web site:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com

and look at the videos there.  The hitch on the truck has some up/down adjustment based on how high your truck is.  My TT was level at 20" so once I installed the WD hitch I made sure that the truck was level as well and all was fine.  The spring bars are an inch or so below the "A" frame of the TT.  Unless you are going off road seriously, I don't think it will cause an issue.  Check out the videos to see a properly set up rig.

Tom...

For a relatively small trailer, I would choose the simpler and less expensive E2 vs the Equal-I-Zer.

I pull this trailer with a 2000 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 z-71 pickup.The gvwr on this unit is 5600lbs,uvw is 3690,ccc is 1517.
Are those numbers for the truck or the trailer?

I have a Fleetwood mallard 18 c/k 2007 model.The trailer is 22' in length,I pull this trailer with a 2000 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 z-71 pickup.The gvwr on this unit is 5600lbs,uvw is 3690,ccc is 1517.The tounge weight is around 350 lbs on this unit and I'm usually loaded on the heavy side.

If those are the trailer weights, I think your guess on the tongue weight is way off. It needs to be at least 10% of the loaded trailer weight and more, e.g. 12%, is better. Adequate tongue weight goes a long way toward eliminating sway of any kind.  Even when empty the tongue weight should exceed 350!

This unit pulls good on major highways at 55,but on the interstate at 65 or 70 its a little different.

Are you aware that the ST type tires on the trailer will have a max speed rating of 65 mph?

Your tongue weight loaded is going to be  closer to 700 pounds, (5600 gross X 13%), which is already 200 pounds over the weight limit of your receiver if you are not using a weight distributing hitch. And don't cheap out, get the 4 way Equalizer. Best $500 you will spend.

Gary saved me a bunch of typing!

Get the rig weighed to VERIFY your weights.  Tongue wt MUST BE  at least 10% of actual TT weight, or towing will not be pleasant - lots of sway and bounce.  If tongue wt is not at least 600#, rearrange the load!!

Very often, campers come with ST tires which are usually rated at only 65mph.  Make sure tires are inflated to max pressure rating and keep the speed down.  Check the dates on the tires.  If over 5 or 6 years old, consider new tires.  If over 8 or 10 years old, replace before your next trip!  Leisure trailer tires age out before the tread wears out.

To a trucker, this tire stuff should be well known.  To other readers, it may be new information.

Thx for the feedback everyone,its greatly appreciated.As far as my tounge weight calculations,I am only going by what I have read and pulled up on the unit and these are way off when its loaded.I never carry any fluids in my holding tanks for extra weight but I do load it out at times.I am wanting to weigh the camper when I have it loaded and do some fine tune figuring on exact weight of everything but I need a platform scale to do this.Im trying to locate one around close at the present.I am looking at a weight dist.hitch on amazon,Its a EAZ-Lift 1000lbs cap this should make a big difference,as far as the st tires on my camper I never exceed 60 mph on them even on the interstate,thx again :))

You are well on your way!  The weights you find on line and in advertising are DRY weights, and worthless for your purposes,  They are intended to get the poorly informed to buy more trailer than they can safely handle.  Thankfully, you are better informed than that!! 

Single axle weights work well.  They just require a bit more math.  You do get more information, though!

Back
Top Bottom