Author Topic: The Birth of a Bus  (Read 5229 times)

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
Re: The Birth of a Bus
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
And in chatting with the carpenter, he used to have a job matching colors for a furniture manufacturer.  So the finish on the new counter base is spot on.  We went with a Natural Cherry finish, which has slightly reddish hue that really shows off the natural grain of the wood. He nailed the color match. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 06:58:33 PM »
Back to the build pics.  As the process moved on, the dashboard and all of it's myriad of wires starts getting hooked up. It's a wonder anything works with all of the connections that need to be hooked up to the right place.

And this is something different that I will need to learn about. I have 2 toilets in the new rig ;D  both of them are electric flush ???

And #3 is the "brain center" for much of the rig. This is what the panel looked like after a worker spent about 2 hours hooking up, controlling, and tying down about a hundred wires.

#4-Ever wonder how they managed to get those heavy washers and dryers into those tight spaces in the back of the rig? EASY! They slide them in before the walls are in. 

#5-The shower and several of the preassembled cabinet units are now in place.

#6-And here is another new bit of technology for me to learn about. An AquaHot now controls the water heating and space heating functions in the rig. The AquaHot is electric or diesel powered. No more propane anywhere on the rig.

#7 & 8-And now it is time to have the first sidewall set in place. A huge overhead crane handles the heavy lifting.

#9-And the back panel of the rig is set into place. This will eventually be covered up when the rear cap is set. It was cool to get pics of the rear wall before it was covered, never to be seen again.

#10-And now the passenger sidewall is set into place. Now it is starting to look like a real RV. It's hard to believe that this is still day 1!

Almost to the end of day 1. More to come!
Marty--

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »
Fantastic, Marty! I can only imagine your excitement at seeing it all come together...  ;D
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
Nice, Marty. Thanks for sharing those pics.

#6-And here is another new bit of technology for me to learn about. An AquaHot now controls the water heating and space heating functions in the rig. The AquaHot is electric or diesel powered. No more propane anywhere on the rig.

You'll learn to love it. If it's like my Beaver was, it'll be a LOT quieter than the propane furnace. Do you also have the engine heater option?
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 10:28:53 PM »
I don't think it has a Motoraid function. It's all handled by the Aquahot.
Marty--

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 11:12:31 PM »
I don't think it has a Motoraid function. It's all handled by the Aquahot.

THe AquaHot 450D has three source of heat: Diesel burner, electric, and the engine. The engine loop can also be used to preheat the engine. This is the version in the Bus. In essence the engine loop is like "motoraid".
AquaHot also make a 400D that does not have the engine loop/pump.
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
Thanks Ken. For the time being, I don't know what I don't know!  There will be a learning curve once I take delivery of the Bus.  I'm excited to start.
Marty--

KandT

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
Well it's been three days, Sarge!  Updated pics? :))
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
Been in some places with lousy internet, so posting pics is tough. Will try again later tonight.
Marty--

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
Super Cool. 

That's a job I wouldn't mind having - at least for awhile.  Knowing how it was put together could be priceless someday.

Now your first post was May 27, and you indicated that it would be 4 or 5 days before it rolled off the line - ready for paint.

Just curious - how much longer before you take delivery?

2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 06:25:33 PM »
I am really happy for you guys...it is exciting just watching your Bus being built. I can only imagine your anticipation.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
Has Diane started a new blog for your newest adventure?  You're fun to read, too, but I'm a big fan of Diane's blog (version?) of what is happening on your trips.  ;D   I seem to have lost the link to her previous blog.  Been having some computer issues lately. 

viceprice

• ---
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »
I believe the link to Diane's new blog is in Marty's signature. I enjoy enjoy Marty's posts here and Diane's blog to hear about their new and ongoing adventures.  I am looking forward to more pictures and more updates! I want to see the bus!
Karen, Kyle and the K9s
1997 Chevrolet C2500 7.4L Silverado
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RBS

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2017, 01:03:55 AM »
I believe the link to Diane's new blog is in Marty's signature. I enjoy enjoy Marty's posts here and Diane's blog to hear about their new and ongoing adventures.  I am looking forward to more pictures and more updates! I want to see the bus!

Thank you!  Missed that somehow but just read it and caught up.  Looking forward to more entries.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »
passing through AL yesterday, and saw the sign to turn for Red Bay...... was thinking about you Sarge
I have been thinking a lot about you Sarge while driving these last couple weeks, & checking out the larger MH's on the road.  I have not been the least bit homesick so I have been contemplating your adventure....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
Just curious - how much longer before you take delivery?

Our scheduled delivery date is 6/28.  According to the schedule, it should be delivered to the dealer tomorrow. They they start a rather extensive PDI.

Thanks everyone! Using RV park WIfi is a challenge at best. Diane is working on an entry right now, and will post if the campground WiFi will accept the upload. 

The anticipation is killing me to take delivery! We are currently in Sallisaw OK, with about 400 miles until we get to Tupelo and check into a motel for a few days while the dealer finishes up their PDI.  We will be here for another few days, so I should be able to get caught up as well. 

Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
The build continued: At the end of day 1, one of the last items to be hoisted into place is the cabinetry that sits up over the dash board.  And it's a lot more than just a piece of trim, there is a ton of wires and stuff all stashed back there.

#1&2- A crane lifts the overhead dash panel into place and holds it there while workers secure it to the frame.

#3- The second day was heavy into making connections for all the stuff that runs the Bus. I wondered what the lonely looking holes were for in the back right side of the back wall.

#4&5- Inside the soon to be mounted back cap, there is even still more wiring to connect.  Pic #5 you can see the reinforced panels on the inside of the cap that will support my roof ladder. Ladders are an option now, they used to be put on every unit. Customers complained that they didn't need them and felt that they were useless. I don't know what I would do without one.

#6&7- In the left corner of the back cap is the air cleaner and the stack pipe that leads to the intake vent high on the outside edge. The upper location of the air intake helps to limit any road debris and excessive road water from entering the intake tube during a hard rain.

#8- A huge overhead crane with suction cups pics up the nearly 40' long roof panel and moves it into position to be attached to the side walls.

#9- This mass of wires coming out of the roof panel will be fed into the holes in the back wall I observed earlier. Those wires run the 3 AC units, the satellite system, the surround system, and the many roof LED's that are already built in to the roof panel.

#10- The roof panel is suspended about 6" off of the walls to give workers time to route the extensive wiring bundles to where they need to go power all the controls for the related electronic appliances.

More to come!
Marty--

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
Marty,
parked by what appears to be a new A-bus with a Motorcycle lift on the back.  What a beautiful rig!
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 09:54:51 PM »
Love it Brad, that's always a possibility!
Marty--

Raidmagic

• ---
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2017, 07:36:01 AM »
This is a fun thread to follow, thanks for sharing.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:25 AM »
agreed.....
so i take it you have moved in, or are in the process now Sarge.

One thing I didn't quite follow..... so were you there for the entire build start to finish?  Unless I missed soemthing the last update looked like they still had quite a bit to do.

Then you said something about it being delivered to a dealer for PDI.  So I take it that even though you are there, they still ship to a local dealership to do the hand-off....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »
Yeah Brad, I was only there for the 5 days of the build of the house portion. When it went out for paint is when I left. There are more photo's for the blog, but I am trying desperately to get all our stuff moved in. Even though this rig is 4' longer, it seems all the storage areas are a slightly different size. So all of my stuff has to be re-shuffled to fit the new storage areas.  And the rain is coming in every day, so we are trying to work between the raindrops.

They finished it up, and then sent it to the dealer for their PDI.  That's when I came back and did the walk through.
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2017, 10:55:07 PM »
Back to the build:

Pic 1- A massive amount of wires are routed from the roof and run through an opening on the lower left corner of the back wall. This opening leads to the location of the 120 volt circuit breaker panel.

Pic 2- The blue lines that run from the roof to the lower left corner are the AC condensate drip lines that carry condensation from each of the 3 roof airs to the ground in the back of the rig.

Pic 3&4- With the roof and sidewalls in place,  workers start laying the radius edges that will bind and seal the roof to the side walls.

Pic 5- With the roof radius in place, it is time to set the rear cap. Again a large suction crane handles the heavy lifting.

Pic6- All those wires in the roof start to get hooked up to their respective controls.

Pic 7- All of the openings in the ceiling panel will soon be filled with lights, speakers, and vent fans.

Pic 8- The floor plan still looks pretty open with the slide rooms in place as of yet.

Pic 9- The front passenger slide room is preassembled and ready to be set into place. The big space at the end is where the residential refer will go.

Pic 10- The front drivers side slide is where much of the kitchen cabinets and appliances will reside.

More to come!
Marty--

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
So fun!
Wish I had that catwalk in my garage!  Sure make it easy to wax and check the roof.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
Looks sooo roomy when the slides are detached. ;D

beaverfever

• ---
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
thanks for taking the time to post all this when you are so busy with your new toy,congratulations hope you have many trouble free miles.
please post a picture of the finished jewel when you have time.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
Oh I will. There is such a steep learning curve with the new RV and all of the new systems, but I am getting it. That and finding out how to store all my "stuff" in the spaces in the new rig. I will keep posting the pics, and the finished product and the changes we have made already to "make it our own".  Thanks for coming along for the ride!
Marty--

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
There are some mighty tempting pictures on Diane's blog of July 9th.  Enough to turn me green with envy.  ;)   

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
Marty,
I've always found changes from one RV to another to come in size "too."   Cupboard, closet,  drawer or bay space  space is too high, too short, too narrow, too deep, too close to something else.  Always had to buy new  bins at Target or Dollar store!

A paradigm  shift!   Have fun enjoy!
BB
Betty Brewer

see where we are

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 09:01:35 PM »
You nailed that one Betty! Diane is going nuts trying to figure out how to make the stuff sized for the old rig to fit into the new spaces. Plus since we sold the stick house, we even have a bit more than before since we took some of the "must have" stuff out of the house.
Marty--