EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: The Birth of a Bus  (Read 5223 times)

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: The Birth of a Bus
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
If I was much younger, absolutely.  But now? The DW would kill me!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

bradvoorhees

• ---
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2017, 08:01:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing, we just bought our new to us 2005 Beaver and I can really respect the work that goes into these coaches after reading your thread.
Brad
2005 Beaver Monterey MH

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 09:02:20 AM »
I finally got around to looking at the pics on Diane's blog. That's a sweet lookin' coach! 8) I really like that floorplan.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
Thanks! That was one of the things that sold us too. The funny part is, the first 1/4 of the coach floorplan was the same as the Phaeton.  Still figuring out the whistles and bells though. 
Marty--

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
Sarge, did I miss the final coach birth?

Don't remember seeing any overall images of the inside and then the outside.
Did you take possession of the coach yet?
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »
There are gorgeous pictures of the new coach on Diane's blog:   http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
I just saw this post and read through it. All I can say is CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2017, 08:13:53 PM »
Sarge, did I miss the final coach birth?

Don't remember seeing any overall images of the inside and then the outside.
Did you take possession of the coach yet?
Yep, you got me! I have been so distracted doing projects and reorganization that I got side tracked. I will follow it up soon!
Marty--

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
And the build rolls on.....

Another one of the little mystery's of building the rig. How do you get the refer in so easy?  You put it in first.

#1- One worker with the refer on a lift puts the unit in the open wall and places it on a "slide sheet" to push into position later.

#2- Another worker prepares to set the first slide. He does it by himself with use of a crane lift.

#3- And then it is slid into place.

#4- Big slides took more horsepower.

#5- Preparing to set the front cap.

#6&7 - The start of day 3 was the adding the roof rails, and the install of the basement storage doors.

#8&9 - And the interior finish work starts, adding drawers, and cabinet doors.

After the finish was was nearly done, I left for home while the Bus went to the Belmont facility for paint. 

#10- This is the first photo of the completed rig at the dealer, Sherman RV in Mississippi.

Next are the inside finish pics!
Marty--

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »
Very nice rig, very nice indeed.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »
Thanks for the additional pics, Marty -- and she does look mighty nice.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2017, 07:55:22 AM »
Fantastic pics, Marty! It's pretty amazing seeing these beasts "come alive"...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Where are you heading next? I know a nice campsite in Grapevine Texas. ;)
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2017, 07:38:45 PM »
We just pulled into Hungry Mother state park in Virginia. Pretty nice place!
Marty--

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
Let the adventure begin. ;)
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »
Beautiful Marty!  I like those colors too!
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the images - so I wasn't crazy  ;D

Will be interested to hear how it drives/handles and if you have any problems with it.
If you don't have any problems I wonder if it could be that you were there for a lot of the build process and they
knew you were watching and so did an extra good job and didn't cut any corners - whereas someone that just orders
one and then shows up to collect it probably didn't have the same interest in it and with no one watching - does that make a difference?

Either way - congrats on the new coach and thanks for letting us in on the build process - as I doubt I will ever be able to buy a new coach. :(
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
The differences between this coach and Phaeton are many.  Some are wonderful, some I haven't decided yet.  The most dramatic is the ride and handling of this coach.  I have to attribute it to the Independent Front Suspension (IFS) as opposed to the Freightliner solid front axle, the longer wheelbase, and the bigger motor. This rig has a Cummins ISL 450 HP and 1200 ft lbs of torque. 

This suspension floats over most road imperfections, and the Freightliner "banged" over them. This rig will power up most grades without downshifting or slowing down.  If I do slow it usually because traffic in front of me has slowed.  But there is a price to pay for all that power, and that is usually reduced MPG. But would I give it back to get better MPG? Nope. 

I love the added room inside the coach. It is just roomy.  The Phaeton wasn't exactly small, 37'.  But the extra 4' is noticeable, and I like it. It is noticeable when driving though. Mostly when turning tight corners. And when pulling out of a driveway onto a two lane road, I really need to clear traffic because I will be  taking both lanes for a bit to get pointed in the right direction.  Again, I still wouldn't go back to the smaller rig.

Lots of new storage space, but I had to figure out how to best use it. Every new coach I have ever had was always a puzzle to figure out how to fit stuff into. Now that I am getting it figured out, I have lots more outside room than I did before. 

Lots more observations, but I don't want to turn this entry into a novel. But one more question I will address, because I think it is relevant.  Yes, I truly believe that being there for the build and following it down the line made a huge difference.  I chatted with the workers, smiled a lot and took a genuine interest in what they were doing. Most of them were extremely nice, and took a few minutes to explain the process of what they were doing. Every 4-5 "stations" had an inspector that met and chatted with. Their job was to scrutinize the build process, and identify and mark with a colored masking tape any slight imperfection they saw, and get it addressed immediately. Some marked dozens of slight adjustments that were addressed.  Some I couldn't even see, and I am a critical son of gun for doing things right.

By the end of the 5 day build, I was totally satisfied that my coach was as good as it could be. When it got to the dealer, Sherman RV in Mississippi, their PDI was extensive.  They had a 130 point inspection list that they do on every coach, and I saw mine.  They told me that the PDI flew by because they found nearly nothing that needed addressed. My experience after delivery has been similar. I have addressed a few minor issues, tighten a screw, adjust a latch.

The issues I have had or still do are more to do with the function of a new system and learning how to make it work. There is a learning curve on any new or used rig.  There has been a few systems that I will talk about in future post that I haven't decided about yet.  But the overall impression so far is, I LOVE IT!
Marty--

blw2

• ---
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
Nice to see an update.  Glad it's working out well so far!  I'm really looking forward to reading your future adventures....

and enjoy Hungry Mother's
reminds me of a fun trip I took there years ago...just a day trip up from Williamsburg where I lived at the time to attend some festival in the park.  Flew along with a friend in his Cessna 172, while another friend flew along with us in loose formation in his Pitts special (red aerobatic bi-plane).  He gave us quite an airshow doing loops and rolls around us to make up for our slower speed so we could keep up with him....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2017, 03:28:01 PM »
Congrats Marty and Diane.  Don't know how I missed this earlier.

Coach turned out great.  Hope you enjoy many, many miles in her.

Mike
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »
Nice rig Sarge, welcome to the Allegro family! It's really great being able to call the OEM # and actually speak to a tech that works on these. We absolutely love ours.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
Great to hear you guys made the right decision. Hope you are getting better weather now to enjoy it!
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2017, 05:38:27 PM »
Well, I will wrap up the Birth of a Bus story. We have had it about 2 months now and love it. We are settled in and it is feeling like home. I still continue to do my modifications to tweak things the way that works best for us. That may be the next thread!  But here are a few pics of the finished product, the way that we picked her up.

#1- This is how she looked when we arrived to pick her up. Clean and shiny, except for all the stickers that they insist on putting on everything!

#2- This is from the entry looking towards the back. All of the lighting is LED and about half are dim-able. We also opted for the booth dinette this time. We had a free standing table and chairs in the last several coaches,  and decided that the booth was more functional and comfortable. There is pull out storage under the seats.

#3- Solid surface counters and tile back splash give it a high end feel. There is a Wolf induction cook top and 2 deep solid surface sink basins in the kitchen area. On the right side of the cabinet area is a set of 3 pull out drawers on a slide out island with a matching solid surface top.  This is also the theater seating unit we opted for instead of a pull out sofa bed or L sofa. (I will later reconfigure the theater seating unit). 

#4- One of the things we loved about our Phaeton, and bought this floor plan because of the same feature is the corner mounted TV, and the fireplace underneath. The TV can be seen from anywhere in the rig, and it's amazing how much we use the fireplace. The counter top area next to the TV is the section I had added at the factory. That space used to be for a stand alone recliner, but the counter is way more functional. (I modify it as well a little later).

#5- This is the half bath that Diane didn't think we needed. I stuck to my guns, as I am usually the one in there!  Actually it has remained quite functional, and convenient to boot.

#6- The residential refer is the same as the one that was in the Phaeton. We love it and wouldn't have another gas refer. The blank wall next to it usually comes with "standard art work" from the factory. Since I was there for the build I had them not put it up. We will put up our own stuff to personalize the rig. We still took the art work though and will put it up if we ever sell the rig.

#7- The king size bed was one of the primary reasons for trading up to this coach. It turned out to be an outstanding idea. It is a sleep number bed, and we both sleep like a baby most nights. The illuminated blue panel on the wall is part of the Spyder system in the rig.  Most all of the electronics are on the various touch pads around the coach. As a later add, I bought a "Coach Proxy" program that syncs with the Spyder system and we can control the coach with our cell phones or computers.

#8- Drivers side bedroom cabinets. The entertainment cabinet is below the TV. Another "master" spyder panel on the wall next to one of the 3 roof AC thermostats.

#9- Drivers side master bedroom. The tall cabinet on the right is the stacked washer/dryer. Sink area in the corner,  and the mirrors are on the double closet in the rear. (BTW, the guy taking the pics was our salesman, Jared)

#10- And the rest of the master bath. Solid surface shower with 2 shower heads, maceration toilet, and the rest of the clothes closet.

That's pretty much and overview of the inside of the rig. We are still making it our own, so that means I still have mods to do!

I could do a whole section on the outside stuff, but most people are not as wrapped as tight as me about every feature of a motorhome!  Thanks for coming along on the journey!
Marty--

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2017, 05:56:00 PM »
Wow! That's really nice, Marty. Thanks for sharing those pics.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
I was introduced to a Bath and a half coach today, it is a very nice floorplan, and not a floor plan that I had considered before today. I am going to revisit it again tomorrow when they can have the coach cooled down, as I dropped in this afternoon without prior notice and the coach was blazing inside.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
It has turned out to be one of my favorite features!  It's amazing the longer the DW and I spend time together, the more our "systems" sync up....
Marty--

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
It's stunning! Congratulations again 😁
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
Thanks Jackie!
Marty--

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »
You have a nice coach.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
-Mark Twain-

Hosted by Over The Network