EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: The Birth of a Bus  (Read 5232 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: The Birth of a Bus
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »
Congratulations all round Marty, and thanks for sharing the story with us. I'm still amazed that, having seen your prior coach, you wanted something "better". But it's definitely a step up. Hope you both have many enjoyable times and trips.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2017, 06:06:36 AM »
Man... what a dump! You're actually going to have to live in that thing?   ;D

You better know I'm kiddin'...that coach is gorgeous! As I said before, I love that floorplan. I hope it's troublefree for you both and ya'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Congratulations!
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »
Nice looking coach Marty.  Happy for you and Diane.

I for one am one of those people who would like to see the exterior, storage, engine bay, etc of the coach if you find it in yourself to take pictures.  I like to see the meat & potatoes of the coach vs. the fluff.

Mike
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
Man, that is a beautiful coach Marty! I love all the automation and how it all works together.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
Nice photos.. Congratulations!
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2017, 02:00:32 PM »
Hey, thanks for teh update.  I've been wondering how well things were going.

Is that a floor hatch in the master bath?
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

mrschwarz

• ---
    • C U on the Road
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2017, 02:28:11 PM »
Marty:

I have to agree about the half-bath. Before we got our Bus, we though that a half-bath was a waste of space. We gradually came around. After 5 months, I don't know how we lived without it.
Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45 OPP
Cummins ISL 450
Allison 3000
Progressive EMS-HW50C Surge Protector
Air Force One

Visit us at www.schwarz.org

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
I for one am one of those people who would like to see the exterior, storage, engine bay, etc of the coach if you find it in yourself to take pictures.  I like to see the meat & potatoes of the coach vs. the fluff.

Add me to the list of "would like to see" also, please.

It's a great looking coach.

So I'm not the only one that doesn't have a TV that is overhead?  That was one feature I was looking for when I was looking for a coach.
I assume you don't have one overhead as there was no picture looking towards the front of the coach or any of the cockpit area.

Have fun with your new toy.  ;D
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »

Likely it is, Brad. Diesel pushers  generally have the engine more or less under the floor in the rear of the coach. In my Beaver the hatch was in the closet (and just outside it, too), which was all along the back wall, while in my Ventana it's like Marty's, with the engine hatch in the bath, because the bath is in the rear.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »
Congratulations all round Marty, and thanks for sharing the story with us. I'm still amazed that, having seen your prior coach, you wanted something "better". But it's definitely a step up. Hope you both have many enjoyable times and trips.

Thanks Tom. Diane "blames" me, and I think she is right!  There was just some stuff that bugged me with the Phaeton, and it wasn't fixable.   When we decided to sell the house,  that's when it all started coming together.
Man... what a dump! You're actually going to have to live in that thing?   ;D

I hope it's troublefree for you both and ya'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Congratulations!

Yeah, it's been pretty good so far. There are a few small problems that we have discovered with systems, but we are getting them  taken care of.  Nothing major to complain about.

Good eye Brad! Yes it is. Even though it is a side radiator, there is a hatch to get to the top side of the motor for service. I haven't had it off yet, but I will!

Marty:

I have to agree about the half-bath. Before we got our Bus, we though that a half-bath was a waste of space. We gradually came around. After 5 months, I don't know how we lived without it.

Mee too. There is no more "waiting my turn" when the moment is right.  It is one of my favorite features too!

Add me to the list of "would like to see" also, please.

It's a great looking coach.

So I'm not the only one that doesn't have a TV that is overhead?  That was one feature I was looking for when I was looking for a coach.
I assume you don't have one overhead as there was no picture looking towards the front of the coach or any of the cockpit area.

Have fun with your new toy.  ;D

That over the front TV was one that we deleted in the build. It was "standard" in the floor plan, but we have never used it when we did have one in the previous coach. I had that one taken out as well. With the mid ship angled TV, the one over the dash was just something to run into, and dust. With it gone the view out the front  is greatly enhanced.

I am inspired guys! I will take some pics of the outside stuff and provide a little more insight into the storage and external stuff.  I love "gear heads"!!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

viceprice

• ---
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2017, 04:09:55 AM »
Count me in the gear head group. Looking forward to those pictures. Congratulations on your new home!
Karen, Kyle and the K9s
1997 Chevrolet C2500 7.4L Silverado
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RBS

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »
Birth of a Bus, Part II. OK guys, here is the outside stuff.

#1- The awning was a feature I wasn't sure about. The multi-angle thing worried me a bit as I have had my share of problems with awnings. It's a Paramount Awning and is mounted on the roof, not attached to the wall. This creates another slide top cover when it is partially extended. Then it extends to  three more positions until fully deployed. So far it has worked great. The wind sensor in it works, but not too sensitive, and the drop angle provides way more shade than the previous  slide mount awning. 

#2- This feature I was excited about. Tiffin has incorporated a new slide out design for the slide rooms on the Bus and Zephyr models. The slide rooms are one piece molded. No side, top or bottom seams. Nothing to require a trim piece to screw on and cover the mating surfaces. That means no possibility of leaks or screws backing out over time. Hopefully it will catch on in other models and manufacturers.

#3- This is a front bay on the passenger side. I got this bay back because of the all electric coach. The standard use for it was to put a slide tray in it with a basement freezer. For us the extra freezer was useless, the refer inside is plenty. I did like the slide out tray though, and ordered and  put one in. It is used to hold our workout equipment (weights) and the space above became a shelf for my power tools.

#4- The tray extends  out to just past the slide out, and is rated to hold 200+ pounds at full extension. And it does! Diane's has her own weights which are not in the tray in the pic.

#5- The next bay is the first of 2 full size slide out trays. The tool box in the tray is a new add. With the freed up space with the use of the shelf's allowed me to add a few goodies like this.

#6-  You can also see the added shelf at the top left. It holds the camping rug, a full 8X20. All the shelf's are from HD and hung with a combination of 1/4" flat iron stock in the rear, and jack chain in the front. They are rubber coated, and cut to size with a jig saw and metal blade. A 20" X 72" shelf is about $20. This shelf couldn't be any wider. Right next to it at the top of the pic is the sub woofer for the outside TV sound bar.

#7- The bay next door is not as organized yet. Some of the stuff with get squared away, and some with get thrown out.  The full size shelf in this bay is for my zero gravity recliner. I love the chair, but it takes up a huge amount of room sitting in a slide tray. Also my 7' folding ladder is mounted to the back wall just above the slide tray. I used three 4" "L" brackets to hold it up.

#8- Another unorganized bay. No shelf in this bay as it's deep and narrow, but a great place to store my gray sewer tote, and 20" box fan. (Yep, I caved in and bought one for the extended time period spent in the deep south in summer).

#9- And then another mechanical bay. On the right is the big HWH hydraulic pump that runs the jacks and front slides. And yep, the reservoir for the pump is behind it. Checking it is a real PITA, but doable. On the left is another cool feature. To drain the ping air tanks in my Phaeton required an awing rod and fishing around in back of the front wheels. Here Tiffin just added drain cocks with handles. The top one is a customer use air supply fitting for attaching air hose. Good for adding air to those big 315X80X22.5 tires.

#10- This is the last bay on the passenger side. Another dedicated chassis bay with the chassis batteries, various relays, breakers, and fuses all plainly labeled. I love being able to identify a circuit or fuse block without having to search for a page in a manual.

More outside tour to come!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Hosted by Over The Network