Go Power GP-IC-2000-12 the inverter designed for 50amp service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schwyl

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted or not but I thought I would draw your attention to a great inverter released by Go power.

For those of use who have 50amp service in our trailers trying to run off batteries becomes well quite the endevour. So with out further suspense i present to you the (Insert drumroll)

The Go Power  GP-IC-2000-12

What makes this so great you might ask?? Well its the only split-phase inveter that wont break the bank that is a simple drop in inverter that will allow you to maintain true 50a service on both the legs going to your panel.

I installed this bad boy just prior to heading out for may long. Took me 15 minutes to install it. All i did was take the existing cable from the panel coming from the ATS and wire it in to the inverter. This allows me to use my generator or shore power and because the inverter itself allows for 50a per leg its great. Then I ran a new cable from the inverter to the ac panel in my trailer. I disconnected my converter that is stock because this inverter is also a charger.

So to recap here's my installation.

Shore power / Generator ----> Automatic Transfer Switch ----> ______________ ----> AC Panel of trailer
                                                                                                    |GP-IC-2000-12 |
Battery Bank <------------------------------------------------->  |____________ |

The key words, I guess, being "won't break the bank", since the major inverter vendors all have 50A split phase models available. It's probably a cost-effective choice for folks with modest size battery banks but 50A shore power service.

Thanks for the tip.

Just thought I'd chime back in.

@Gary RVer Emeritus
Most inverter companies do NOT offer a split phase inverter that supplies 50a per leg while in bypass mode in fact Pretty much none of them do for under 5 grand.

@glen54737
Why would you think 2000w inverter could supply 50a per leg?

schwyl said:
Just thought I'd chime back in.

@Gary RVer Emeritus
Most inverter companies do NOT offer a split phase inverter that supplies 50a per leg while in bypass mode in fact Pretty much none of them do for under 5 grand.

@glen54737
Why would you think 2000w inverter could supply 50a per leg?

When you said "...inverter that will allow you to maintain true 50a service on both the legs", that sure seems to imply that the inverter is capable of supplying 50 amps per leg. At 2000 watts per leg, of course that's not the case, but it will fool an EMS into thinking you're connected to a 50 amp capable service when it senses 240 VAC across the two hot legs.

Guess i needed to specify that WHEN IN BYPASS MODE it allows 50a per leg NOT WHILE INVERTING

NY_Dutch said:
At 2000 watts per leg, of course that's not the case, but it will fool an EMS into thinking you're connected to a 50 amp capable service when it senses 240 VAC across the two hot legs.

No, and no.

The Go Power is a 120 volt inverter, not 120/240 volts, so it won't fool an EMS.  It will look like you're using an adapter to plug into a 120 volt socket so the EMS will see 0 volts leg to leg, not 240 volts.

And it's 2000 watts total, not 2000 watts on each leg.

Lou Schneider said:
No, and no.

The Go Power is a 120 volt inverter, not 120/240 volts, so it won't fool an EMS.  It will look like you're using an adapter to plug into a 120 volt socket so the EMS will see 0 volts leg to leg, not 240 volts.

And it's 2000 watts total, not 2000 watts on each leg.

Ok, I see now that "schwyl" is only referring to the built-in transfer switch specs, not the inverter section's specs. My fault for not checking the link first...

I guess I should have been more specific.  The Magnum MS series inverters have 60A transfer switches, and so does the Xantrex Freedom SW. Both also combine inverter and shore power sources as needed to maintain the rated inverter mode output.  Granted that is not the 50A/leg of that Go Power, but it allows far greater power than more common single 30A feed.  The Freedom SW 3012 sells for  $1800-$2000 from various online retailers so you don't have to spend $5000 to get a high capability auto-transfer inverter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0085YM6OQ

At 2000 watts per leg, of course that's not the case, but it will fool an EMS into thinking you're connected to a 50 amp capable service when it senses 240 VAC across the two hot legs.

The output of this style inverter typically wouldn't be feeding the main load center and EMS anyway. It's an inverter/converter/charger and would replace any existing internal charger and feed branch circuits directly or via a subpanel.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
The output of this style inverter typically wouldn't be feeding the main load center and EMS anyway. It's an inverter/converter/charger and would replace any existing internal charger and feed branch circuits directly or via a subpanel.

Did you notice the way the OP has his wired, Gary? Looks to me like he's feeding the entire TT, although I agree that feeding specific branches would be a better choice.

Well what the heck. Wonder why i didn't get notices that people were chatting in here sorry.

Anyhow I installed the unit like this:

Trailer XFER switch ---> Inverter ---> Main Panel

Your right in the fact that its not the most powerful inverter in the sense that its only 2000w however when you running on batteries not much more is needed.

The reason I posted this was the simple fact its cost was amazing in relation to other manufacturers.

For the other vendors you need to stack two inverters and even then the output per leg was less.

Thats what makes this inverter awesome. If your running your genny or plugged in you get 100% of your output on both legs.

The install took me about 45 mins. Took forever to get the trailer board outta the way lol.

The only thing I had to buy extra was another chunk of wire from the inverter to the panel as the wire that was originally going from the xfer switch to the panel was long enough.

NY_Dutch said:
Did you notice the way the OP has his wired, Gary? Looks to me like he's feeding the entire TT, although I agree that feeding specific branches would be a better choice.

Sorry missed that.

To feed individual branches I would have to seperate the panel in to two 50 amp panels. then I would have to rewire everything and move all heavy loads to one side and lighter loads to the other.

Or I would have to add a subpanel and hope that all the wires that are there would be long enough  to reach which they wouldnt be.

Then it comes to isolating the inverter while being on genny or shore power and so forth.

But again this is a 50amp serviced trailer not a 30.

A 30amp trailer there alot more choices for inverters as their outputs are the max Amperage that the panel can handle where as on a 50amp service there not.

schwyl said:
The install took me about 45 mins. Took forever to get the trailer board outta the way lol.

What are some things to watch out for during installation? I noticed the first time you installed it, it took 15 minutes and the second time here took 45?

SkateBoard said:
What are some things to watch out for during installation? I noticed the first time you installed it, it took 15 minutes and the second time here took 45?

I have an XLR. The board they use to seperate the passthrough to where all the electrical takes 2x as long to get out than actually mounting the inverter and running the new wire. Mostly because they ran the duct work very uh how do we say tight and theres some 12v wires that you have to be very deleicate in trying to move the board out since they have them tight as in no slack .

but the actual work is quick. just go to the panel pop the front off. disconnect the mains coming from the transfer switch. Then just bring them to the inverter. re run new wires to the panel and your done.

I have my batteries on the opposite side of where the stock battery is under the 12v bus bar. so I put my inverter right by where the auto level system panel is and then  a cable to a new bus bar to which the batteries solar and inverter connect.

I neglected to mention I did not physical disconnect the converter, because the dc wires go in to the rats nest of AC/DC wires the lead under the trailer to the distribution bar

schwyl said:
.....I neglected to mention I did not physical disconnect the converter, because the dc wires go in to the rats nest of AC/DC wires the lead under the trailer to the distribution bar

schwyl....with the IC-2000...do you still have to use the stock converter to supply 12v power to the RV while on Shore Power?  ???

I've read over the manual, and I don't see how 12v power gets supplied back to the distribution panel???

I fully understand the way is charges the batteries, inverts 12v to 120 and acts as a Transfer Switch between Inverter and Shore power.

Thanks,
Jim

The converter is disconnected in mine.

My Batteries are wired to a 4 post terminal strip. On that strip i have the output from my mppt controller, the DC connections to the IC-2000, the feed from my batteries and the connection to the DC distribution bar in my trailer wich in turn has a connection back to the DC distribution panel.

.with the IC-2000...do you still have to use the stock converter to supply 12v power to the RV while on Shore Power?  ???

I've read over the manual, and I don't see how 12v power gets supplied back to the distribution panel???

The IC-2000 is a converter and charger, so not need for a separate converter. The wiring diagrams in the manual (pg 15 & 19) clearly show the 12v power routed through the 12v DC panel and battery disconnect to the batteries. Details will vary with individual rigs. In some, the distribution panel is wired direct to the batteries in parallel with the converter/charger, while others wire the converter/charger through the panel to reach the batteries. In either case, the same terminals on the IC-2000 supply both charging and DC power.

Just want to say there's a new version added to the product line.

A 3000w version!!!!

http://gpelectric.com/products/ic-series-3000-watt-inverter-charger

Back
Top Bottom