Any reason to buy newer model if yr planning to gut the rv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thompkinz

Hey yall. My lady and I are getting things in order to hopefully start full timing by next spring, and we have a question about the motorhomes we should be looking into. We're looking to heavily modify the motorhome, hopefully gutting everything out and installing new appliances, bathroom fixtures and cabinets hopefully with the outcome of saving space and giving us more room so I'm curious if you think it would be best to look for an older less expensive (20k)  motorhome w fewer miles or still look for something newer even though we're taking out most of the insides. We're still looking for something that will stand the test of time but don't want to spend money on insides were getting rid of. If you guys have any experience living in older motorhomes, please let us know!! Thanks!!

Refurbishing an older RV has always been something I thought I'd enjoy doing, for a variety of reasons. Heavily modifying a motorhome can certainly be done, but it would be very important to pay close attention to the weight distribution of new appliances/walls/materials, etc. From what I've been able to determine, the project had also better be a labor of love, because it's unlikely that you'd get your money back out of, what could be, a sizable investment.

As I proof read this, it occurred to me that it might sound like I'm trying to discourage you from doing such a major remodel... I'm not. After all, who wouldn't want their own totally customized RV. I'm just trying to point out some things to consider. Good luck!

Kev

No general reasons, but between any two specific coaches there may be a reason.  For example, there may be a significant advantage in a particular engine or transmission, or the size of water tanks, or some other factor that "improved" in a particular year.  So when considering a newer one in any comparison, I would ask what "changed in the newer one" and "is it something I would be willing to pay extra for"?

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will be getting an older model, maybe 90s rv and try to do most of the renovations myself.

The 90's is a prime era for one of the things I alluded to: engine improvements. The 90's saw a progression from carbureted engines thru throttle body to multi-point fuel injection. Also a considerable improvement in chassis capability, i.e. GVWR and GCWR. There will be substantial benefit in choosing a late 90's model vs an early 90's one.

Also late nineties was when they came out with slides. Not having any slides would be a bummer for full timing. I agree about the engines and would stay very late nineties and newer.

Dang. The one I'm looking at is actually 1990. Here's a post I made about the specific rv.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105462.0.html

My 2000  Allegro has ABS  which technically should be an advantage so the older you go you miss out on some features like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom