Michelin tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf73

I had my seven year old tires replaced at Camping World. I chose their recommended best: Michelins. Well, they put on P205/R14. The max psi as shown on the tire is 44, but they put in 55psi and told me to keep it at that pressure. I am confused. As far as the load rating, everything seems ok.

What type of RV uses a P205/R14? That is a passenger car tire and most RVs need LT (Light Truck). What is the rest of the tire size designation, e.g. P205/ 70 R14 or p205/ 75 R14? And what Michelin Tire model? Was the previous tire the same size?

In any case, inflating beyond the max load psi does nothing except make the ride harsher. Tire manufacturers do allow up to 10 psi higher pressure for certain use scenarios, but I doubt if any of those apply to driving your RV.

I have very little faith in CW to do much of anything correctly, especially tire model, size & inflation choices.

Thank you Gary,
My trailers max weight is only 4800 lbs, 1100 lbs per axle, so the load rating is fine.
The Michelin tires I got are Michelin Defender, P205/70 R14. Same size as the old ones were.
I think I will run them at 50 lbs.
I had many visits to CW and so far was always happy.

What IS the load rating of the tires they put on?

Doesn't sound like they even used trailer tires!

Even a Load range C (which is the least you should consider) have a recommended inflation of 50PSI written right on the tire.

Ron

Michelin's web site describes the "Defender" as a tire for a passenger car or minivan - NOT a trailer tire.

WTH?

Ron

The Michelin Defender P205/70R14 has a load index of 93 which equals 1433# of load capacity at 44 psi. For service on a trailer, SUV, Pick-Up truck, motorized RV,  ect. that load capacity MUST be reduced to 1302# at 44 psi.

IMO CW has violated the tire industry safety standards for replacement tire fitments. Unless, the certification label on your vehicle specifically lists the original equipment tires as being passenger designed.

The cold inflation pressure for those tires should never exceed 44 psi. 

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I have very little faith in CW to do much of anything correctly, especially tire model, size & inflation choices.

I realize your CW comments are based on your own experience Gary but I just want to counterbalance it with the fact that all my CW experiences have been positive and, in the case of setting up our toad for towing, exceptional.  I am sure any large company that has multiple locations will have it's good and bad experienced customers. My particular CW is in Strafford, Missouri.

ST or LT tires have the advantage of stiffer sidewalls than P-series tires and for that reason are more suitable for trailers, which generate large side loads in turns. That's basically the reason that P-series tires are de-rated for use on a trailer. Still, P-series tires will work on lighter trailers. With a 1100# load per tire, Wolf73 seems to be within range on that tire if inflated to at least 44 psi.  I wouldn't over-inflate to 50 psi myself, but that's probably within acceptable limits as well.

Thank you all.
I decided to have the pressure at 50 cold. The reason why it turned out to be passenger tires is probably because of the size. I cannot imagine that cars could drive with weaker tires than light trailers. If anything, they would need some beefing up for acceleration, breaking, high speeds and hard turns. At least the way I drive.
As far as CW is concerned, I like the one I go to. I have had many services and orders done there with no complaints.

I will keep you posted.
Thank you all for all the good and well meant advice. I feel a lot better After all these posts.

Since you replace with the same tires you should be ok.  However, what the friends in this forum are sharing is that you could be better with ST or LT tires.

Wolf73 said:
Thank you Gary,
My trailers max weight is only 4800 lbs, 1100 lbs per axle, so the load rating is fine.
The Michelin tires I got are Michelin Defender, P205/70 R14. Same size as the old ones were.
I think I will run them at 50 lbs.
I had many visits to CW and so far was always happy.
You will be fine with P tires on that small trailer. Lots of small lightweight RV trailers and non rv trailers come with P tires at 44-51 psi.
I use P tires on all my single axle boat and smaller tandem axle trailers. In fact years back before the tire industry gave us the infamous ST class tire all we had was passenger tires for our rv trailers. As camp trailers grew in length and weight then it required a light truck tire in a 14"/15" size.

Having towed mostly heavy non rv trailers making a living for several years I'm not a fan of over pressuring a tire above max sidewall for several safety reasons. The biggest is heat generated at highway speeds increases tire pressures as much as 15 percent on that size tire.  A 44 psi max rated tire which was cold set at 50 psi....now its at 57-58 psi for a 35 percent over pressure.
Over pressured that much has the tire riding the center of the tread.  Now the tire has a loss of braking traction especially on wet pavement.
Plus over pressure a tire can void mfg warranty.

Defender is a great tires. I use them on all of my cars. Not trailers

You will find this statement in the reference below under the heading - ?Tire Care & Maintenance.

?Cold tire pressures should never be higher than the limit molded on the sidewall.?

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/faq.html

This reference contains a lot of current tire industry standards.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/how-to-choose-tires.html#tab-4

I promised that I would let you all know how those tires worked out.
I drove them all summer, putting about 4000 miles on them. No problems so far. I actually seem to get better mileage with those tires. I kept a close eye on them. They seem to run a little cooler too than the STs I had.
Thank you all for the good and well meant comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom