Acceptable distance between airbag and tire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeworX

Hey everyone, we just had the right suspension airbag replaced on our '96 Vectra Grand Tour and just inspected it, and it looks really close to the tires - does this look OK? Is there a recommended clearance? I can't even fit my finger between the bag and tire...

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Attachments

• IMG_0735.PNG
    IMG_0735.PNG
    71.9 KB · Views: 86
Did they install the correct part number? What's the clearance from the tire and the diameter of the bag on the left side as compared to the right?

That does indeed look awfully close. A stone could easily get caught between tire and air bag and tear one or both. Dual tires are never placed that close together!

But looking at the metal bell that holds the air bag, it appears that most any bag you install is going to be very close. The bag almost has to flare out some from the metal bell and that is going to be close in any case.

Are the tires the original size?  Could a wider tire have installed at some point? I'm guessing this is a diesel Vectra, so probably a Freightliner chassis. You might get the last 6 digits of the VIN and check with Freightliner Custom Chassis on the correct original tires and bags. 1-800-FTL-HELP  They are very helpful.

Yeah the left one is not much better...not as close but still close. This the Ford F-53, Gary. Thanks for the back, all.

I'll take it in tomorrow for another look.

Attachments

• IMG_0737.PNG
    IMG_0737.PNG
    117.7 KB · Views: 46
And I did have the tires replaced recently with 235x85R16 which replaced the previous set.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
The F53 doesn't have airbags, at least not from Ford. A Winnie add-on or modification, I guess?

Yes, check out his other posts. Winnebago had a Jetco rear air suspension as an option on the Vectra Grand Tour (and Vectra?).

Sorry for the long time from reply... here's the update and it's painful (ego and wallet):

The bags were the wrong size.

When we were up in the North West Territories last summer we had one of the original bags fail. They said they could order a replacement and that they were not the correct size but it would 'fit'. So we went with that, considering our isolated location. It was the best solution at the time. Fast forward to this May the same bag failed - hole from rubbing on the tire.

The shop told us at the time that the sway bar in the back was the cause. So $600 to fix that, plus a new bag. But I forgot that they had ordered the wrong size when we were up north last summer. So the shop ordered the same wrong size bag.

Yup, it also failed.

Anyways, we found a new shop who ordered the correct bag size directly from Jetco. 1500KM later things are working just fine. But the system has a slow leak somewhere that causes the system to have to air up a bit every 15-20 minutes. But hopefully that's just loose connector.

Here's the after shot:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.01.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.01.07 PM.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.01.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.01.21 PM.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 27
I've had some of those 'monetary' lessons  :p . You were right to question the airbag clearance, glad you finally got it right! Thanks for closing out the thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom