Ford E450 round parking brake at back of transmission adding oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chandler

I saw that this assembly needed to have oil checked to lube a bearing and I can't find info. I meant to do this last winter and totally forgot about. Getting ready to leave for a quick trip and want to do it tomorrow before leaving.

It holds 4 ozs. of Dexron ATF. Fill until it runs out of hole. Oil fill plug is on the left side, above the arm that holds the cable. 17 mm socket, 6" extension and ratchet. I use a turkey baster to fill.

Richard

Slowly turn the fill plug so as to start to remove the plug BUT if fluid starts to seep then NO FILL is required.

Hi Thanks I guess this is my first post. I think I joined along time ago. Can never remember. I checked it and had oil but black and I filled it. I still have the same noise and thinking driveline vibration.

So may I ask, how does the parking brake work on an e450?  I know it does not squeeze the brake rotors like a car would and my mechanic said it "grabs" the driveshaft but maybe I misunderstood him.

In the northeast, I was asking my mechanic should I leave it on or off when parked for extended periods and he said it is not like a car.

Many Truck type vehicles and this includes motor homes, have what is called a drive shaft parking brake.

If you crawl under the RV and look at the tail end of the transmission you will find a brake drum. That's it.

John From Detroit said:
Many Truck type vehicles and this includes motor homes, have what is called a drive shaft parking brake.

If you crawl under the RV and look at the tail end of the transmission you will find a brake drum. That's it.

Thanks John.  So my confusion came from the the title of this thread.  Does the parking brake need some sort of oil in the transmission to work properly?

Based on your reply, I am assuming the parking brake is a cable connection as opposed to a hydraulic connection and simply squeezes the driveshaft as it exits the transmission?

It's a drum type brake and apparently has a small hydraulic reservoir as part of it. It uses ATF.  The ATF seems to be an oil bath for the bearings inside. The driveshaft spins whenever the tranny is in gear, so the bearings are in pretty much constant motion.

I found this techref online but it's for a 2008. It doesn't say much about lubing, though.
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/molurch/2008-03-12_095729_brake.pdf

It's true that it's "not like a car", which typically has an actual pin that slides in and locks the wheels when in Park. That mechanism isn't strong enough for heavy vehicles, so they use an "auto-park brake", basically just a brake that is automatically applied when the transmission is put into park or the emergency/park brake is set. But that's a technical difference and not one the driver is supposed to worry about. Just use transmission Park and/or the Park/emergency brake as you would in any vehicle.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
It's a drum type brake and apparently has a small hydraulic reservoir as part of it. It uses ATF.  The ATF seems to be an oil bath for the bearings inside. The driveshaft spins whenever the tranny is in gear, so the bearings are in pretty much constant motion.

I found this techref online but it's for a 2008. It doesn't say much about lubing, though.
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/molurch/2008-03-12_095729_brake.pdf

It's true that it's "not like a car", which typically has an actual pin that slides in and locks the wheels when in Park. That mechanism isn't strong enough for heavy vehicles, so they use an "auto-park brake", basically just a brake that is automatically applied when the transmission is put into park or the emergency/park brake is set. But that's a technical difference and not one the driver is supposed to worry about. Just use transmission Park and/or the Park/emergency brake as you would in any vehicle.

The topic is about a Ford E brake NOT a Chevy/Workhorse auto park system. Ford's E brake is manual. And the transmission does have a parking pawl (pin).

Richard

Back
Top Bottom