black & =white/ i mean grey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrown

just went camping a couple days: used jayco class c for first time, black water drained fast when I pulled t handle ok, when I pulled grey water handle I thought it would never get done draining is this the norm?  thankyou ahead of time.  dabrown

It's obviously a function of how large the two (or three) tanks are, and how full they are. The grey tank has a smaller diameter drain, so it will likely drain slower. There might also be a vent issue slowing the draining.

One of my gray tanks has a 3" drain and the other gray tank has a 1-1/2" drain. That one drains slower. 

Perceived problems like this are one reason I like to have the clear elbow attachment "leading off" the dump hose.  I can see what's going on / rushing by during the dump procedure, if something isn't going the way it's supposed to.

Rene T said:
One of my gray tanks has a 3" drain and the other gray tank has a 1-1/2" drain. That one drains slower. 

This is likely more of the issue.  Gray water will drain at half the speed if/when the drain pipe is half the size.  I'm not sure if that (half size = half speed) is how it actually works out in term of volume/physics, but you get what I mean.  ;)

Our grey tank is quite slow too and we are concerned that hair may be blocking it. I do hope not!

To clear hair clogs (whether RV or home) I suggest a pot of boiling-hot water poured straight down the drain.  (Watch out for splashback, it will burn you!)  In an RV you could do this when the gray valve is open so the water/clog has someplace to immediately go.

This method is free and works just as well, and often better, than any chemical drain cleaner... which partially works because the chemical reaction causes extreme heat to break up the clog down in the pipe.  You can do the same thing with just water!  ;)

Thank you all for your answers I think smaller drain is the answer. Also I keep my hair cut short for that reason plus I can also wash my hair and face at the same time.

The area of a 3" circle is about 7 square inches, the area of an 1 1/2" circle ic just over 1 3/4". Big difference.

Plumbing standards call for 1.5" pipes for gray water and 3" for black. Those are minimums and there is no reason that RV makers couldn't use a 3" drain line on a gray tank, but they rarely do so.

Since the volume of water through a pipe varies with the square of the pipe radius, the 1.5" gray drain flow is actually 1/4 that of the 3" black drain. Odds are the gray tank is larger than the black as well.

scottydl said:
To clear hair clogs (whether RV or home) I suggest a pot of boiling-hot water poured straight down the drain.  (Watch out for splashback, it will burn you!)  In an RV you could do this when the gray valve is open so the water/clog has someplace to immediately go.

This method is free and works just as well, and often better, than any chemical drain cleaner... which partially works because the chemical reaction causes extreme heat to break up the clog down in the pipe.  You can do the same thing with just water!  ;)

Thanks Scott, will try this if it doesn't improve today when we empty!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny001tx
Back
Top Bottom