rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Blown Fuse  (Read 374 times)

Shooter69

Blown Fuse
« on: May 29, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
Hello

I have a 2004 Starcraft Star Shuttle popup. The 15 amp fuse for the interior lights continues to pop when I hook up the battery. When hooked up to hydro all seems fine. The fuse does not pop right away, it sometimes pops when no lights are on. I am baffled!

Al

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Blown Fuse
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
The lights run on 12v whether hooked to shore power or not. You probably have a small converter/charger that supplies the 12v when on shore power, but the light circuit won't know the difference.

My guess is that there is something else on that 15A fuse/circuit, maybe something that is only active when there is no shore connection? Could it be a water pump, perhaps?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
Are you hooking up the battery with the polarity correct (+terminal to + wire, - terminal to - wire)??  Many units have specific fuses to protect the converter against an incorrect hookup. These fuses usually pop right away though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:58:53 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Shooter69

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
Thanks for responding. I have a thought that the converter fan is not cooling the system. I left the cover open and the lights were on for about an hour, I closed the cover and the fuse popped.
To answer your question, I unhooked the battery completely to try and find the problem.

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
Depending on the unit, the cooling fan may only operate when cooling is actually required (thermostatically controlled within the unit). Knowing the details of the converter/distribution system (power centre?) may help resolve that.  Sounds a lot like a pinched wire somewhere along the line.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:20:29 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Shooter69

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
Thank you. I am at work, but I will get specifics off the converter and start checking wires.