Blown Fuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shooter69

Hello

I have a 2004 Starcraft Star Shuttle popup. The 15 amp fuse for the interior lights continues to pop when I hook up the battery. When hooked up to hydro all seems fine. The fuse does not pop right away, it sometimes pops when no lights are on. I am baffled!

Al

The lights run on 12v whether hooked to shore power or not. You probably have a small converter/charger that supplies the 12v when on shore power, but the light circuit won't know the difference.

My guess is that there is something else on that 15A fuse/circuit, maybe something that is only active when there is no shore connection? Could it be a water pump, perhaps?

Are you hooking up the battery with the polarity correct (+terminal to + wire, - terminal to - wire)??  Many units have specific fuses to protect the converter against an incorrect hookup. These fuses usually pop right away though.

Thanks for responding. I have a thought that the converter fan is not cooling the system. I left the cover open and the lights were on for about an hour, I closed the cover and the fuse popped.
To answer your question, I unhooked the battery completely to try and find the problem.

Depending on the unit, the cooling fan may only operate when cooling is actually required (thermostatically controlled within the unit). Knowing the details of the converter/distribution system (power centre?) may help resolve that.  Sounds a lot like a pinched wire somewhere along the line.

Thank you. I am at work, but I will get specifics off the converter and start checking wires.

Back
Top Bottom