EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 17V-262 recall 2014-2017 View-Navion-Via  (Read 2791 times)

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: 17V-262 recall 2014-2017 View-Navion-Via
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 07:32:41 AM »
...I apologize if this is violating forum rules, I am just stating my experience in dealing with this recall. ...
Presenting the facts of your situation is fine.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

lefcoasdave

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
Thanks for all the replies on this thread! I read them as I waited to get an answer from a VERY helpful guy on the Winnebago Owners Rep phone line. It's over 80 miles from here to the nearest official Winne facility at Thousand Oaks. He said that until the module is disconnected my rig SHOULD be safe to drive, but if I started getting a lot of error codes to treat them as real and react appropriately. He told me that I could just disconnect the control module myself, but I should send in the recall card. He said he also expected that Winnebago would have a technical fix to replace the volume control, but he didn't know when. Thanks again!

Dave Landis
Palmdale, CA
2015 N24G

TheS1R

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
Thanks for all the replies on this thread! I read them as I waited to get an answer from a VERY helpful guy on the Winnebago Owners Rep phone line. It's over 80 miles from here to the nearest official Winne facility at Thousand Oaks. He said that until the module is disconnected my rig SHOULD be safe to drive, but if I started getting a lot of error codes to treat them as real and react appropriately. He told me that I could just disconnect the control module myself, but I should send in the recall card. He said he also expected that Winnebago would have a technical fix to replace the volume control, but he didn't know when. Thanks again!

Dave Landis
Palmdale, CA
2015 N24G
WOW! These latest responses hurt my head. Winnebago has been adamant that the ONLY solution was removal. Why would they remove AND DISPOSE OF the ASWC-1 only to reinstall it (or similar module) later?!?
2016 Itasca Navion 24G
2016 MINI Cooper S Countryman ALL4 Park Lane Edition
2016 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD

Mooneypaul

• ---
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
Dave, have you heard anything back form Winnebago?  Seems they gave you some hope they were going to have a fix.
Paul 2016 View G FL

Outland210

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Seems I have had all the issues and emails as everyone else. This is not acceptable.
Winnebago only contacted Riverpark, the distributor for the Axxess module,  It is made by
Metra Electronics in Florida.  The NHTSA didn't do much in the way of
investigating this problem. And Metra Electronics had no idea until a few week ago
this was a problem. Not until users like myself called them.  Yes Molex is
not a connector I would use for a sensitive data line.

TheS1R

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
Seems I have had all the issues and emails as everyone else. This is not acceptable.
Winnebago only contacted Riverpark, the distributor for the Axxess module,  It is made by
Metra Electronics in Florida.  The NHTSA didn't do much in the way of
investigating this problem. And Metra Electronics had no idea until a few week ago
this was a problem. Not until users like myself called them.  Yes Molex is
not a connector I would use for a sensitive data line.
Unfortunately, this is a common scenario within the RV industry where we have several levels of vendors integrating products into a vehicle for a single purpose. In this case, Winnebago (https://winnebagoind.com/) buys the "audio system" from RiverPark (https://riverparkinc.com) who integrates the head unit from XiteSolutions (http://www.xsna.ca) with the Axxess (https://axxessinterfaces.com/) ASWC-1 from Metra (http://www.metraonline.com/) into a chassis built by Mercedes (https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/home). Winnebago wants everything to be plug-and-play for "easy" installation on the assembly line, and we wind up with issues like this due to improper installation.

Who's on first?!?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:39:26 PM by TheS1R »
2016 Itasca Navion 24G
2016 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 09:13:36 AM »
Welcome Dave and Outland to The RV Forum.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

`lilacrosie

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
Im with you on this 100%.  Just spent time with an employee of winnebago on the phone.  He told me that they would NOT reimburse me for having an independent repair shop remove the module.  Camping World (God forbid) told me I could not bring it in until July 5th and it would take 4 6 weeks.  Yeah, that's going to happen.  Winnebago rep responded to me when I questioned why he would be blindly repeating that Winnebago was doing all it could do..."I am Winnebago."  I said, no, you're an employee.  He responded: "I am Winnebago.  I represent them."  They better get a better representative.  This entire thing stinks to high heaven.  Sorry but it does. I would like to see some of you getting really irate.  Maybe we could get something done.  Just accepting this is not going to do a damn thing.

winona

• ---
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 10:33:41 PM »
I feel your pain in dealing with Winnebago "Customer Relations" as the man I spoke with re: my taillight issue was anything but "customer relations." 

I had the repairs done at my local rv dealer who had also dealt with the same man and had the same unnecessary dressing down from him.  Disappointing for such a company. 

This Winnebago employee said the water gets into my taillight while my motorhome is motionless in my driveway by being flipped up off the rear wheel, hitting the mud flap, doing a 180, traveling along the lower body edge, making a 90 degree turn then landing in the taillight.  If you're familiar with Seinfeld, that is one magic loogie.
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

TheS1R

• ---
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2017, 06:44:25 AM »
So after having the ASWC-1 properly installed (actually removed and properly reinstalled) by a professional audio shop (one recommended by Metra), I sent the suspect harness with the Molex connector on one end and the ASWC-1 connector on the other end to Metra for their assessment. Here is the response that I received:

"With what you experienced by having your dash apart, and by seeing that harness in my hand, it all makes sense and is exactly what I assumed it would be like. That really hurts me that a company that big is only offering to remove the interface. I would have thought that they would offer a much better solution that that. These definitely are not inexpensive vehicles. I really sympathize for owners of these vehicles. I can only make this suggestion for people that own these vehicles. If the interface is not posing a problem, leave it be. But be ready to unplug the ASWC-1 if the problem does arise. And if so, contact a local Installer to have it installed properly. If they are not aware of a local Installer that they trust, contact us and we will refer one. And for those that want to do that to be proactive, just do it for peace of mind. I can tell you this. I have only heard of one other case of this problem before this recall came to be (and am questionable if that is even related). And I didnít put two and two together until after all this. So either this is a rare situation that this happens. Or customers have never contacted Axxess for a solution. I hope all this information helps people. Oh, if you ever hear of someone having this problem via the forum. Please see if they can provide a video showing the problem as the harness is being wiggled. I would love to have that."

As you can see, Metra is more than willing to help.
2016 Itasca Navion 24G
2016 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
I feel your pain in dealing with Winnebago "Customer Relations" as the man I spoke with re: my taillight issue was anything but "customer relations."  ...
Be advised this is NOT a free-for-all bashing Winnebago thread, please stay on-topic.

...Winnebago rep responded to me when I questioned why he would be blindly repeating that Winnebago was doing all it could do..."I am Winnebago."  I said, no, you're an employee.  He responded: "I am Winnebago.  I represent them."  They better get a better representative....
Yes he does. These guys are salaried and not hourly occupational employees and very qualified technically - they are good troops and do a good job assisting owners. If your expectation was the rep was going to start whining and bashing his employer then he is in the wrong job.

If this theme keeps up, I'm going to lock the thread.  If you want the thread to remain unlocked, stick with the technical elements of the topic.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

winona

• ---
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
Sorry.  I'll stick to topic. 
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

Mooneypaul

• ---
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2017, 07:56:43 PM »
I took my rig in for service and they told me about the recall which I already knew about.  I declined the recall. When I picked up my coach no button to the radio.  They said under law they had to disconnect it.

I was able to get my module back but no cable.  I am taking it to Metra to get it installed correctly.  Be careful!
Paul 2016 View G FL

TheS1R

• ---
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
Some more interesting info...

When I talked to Winnebago Owner Relations, the rep referenced a Mercedes Sprinter TSB that addresses the issue. I found the actual TSB, namely LI54.18-N-064032, that he mentioned (copy enclosed). It appears from what I read that Winnebago is interpreting the TSB incorrectly to their benefit.
  • Winnebago is instructing their dealers to remove the Axxess ASWC-1 module and the Axxess harness, but they are leaving the Winnebago harness that is actually connected to the CANbus in place, contrary to Mercedes guidance.
  • Mercedes states that there is an "approved" solution available (i.e., using the optional programmable special module (PSM)), but Winnebago has chosen to ignore this, too. The TSB states that "Several aftermarket radio manufactures are working with MBUSA and have PSM solution for this upfit." Details can be found here: https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-us/tech-info/psm-info.
  • Why did it take Winnebago a year to move forward with the recall after the TSB was issued by Mercedes (TSB dated 10 May 2016)? I would have guessed that MBUSA would have contacted Winnebago at the time as Winnebago was specifically called out in the TSB.
The rep continued to tell me that no functionality was lost as I could still control radio volume via the knob on the head unit, and I could answer/hang up the phone via the head unit touchscreen. I asked if this was the case, why did Winnebago (or their vendors) initially bother integrating with the steering wheel controls? "Radio silence" on the call...

Again, it appears that it is the shoddy CANbus connections (i.e., using Molex connectors for data connections) that are causing the issues, not the Axxess module itself!
2016 Itasca Navion 24G
2016 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD

Lesman

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
There is a group forming to specifically discuss issues like this and, hopefully, negotiate with Winnebago from a position of strength in numbers.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion_Recalls/info
Cheers,
Les 2016 View 24M Tacoma

TheS1R

• ---
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
There is a group forming to specifically discuss issues like this and, hopefully, negotiate with Winnebago from a position of strength in numbers.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion_Recalls/info
Cheers,
Les 2016 View 24M Tacoma
Thanks for the heads up! I have requested acceptance into the group -- I am waiting for the moderator to add me.
2016 Itasca Navion 24G
2016 Honda HR-V EX-L AWD

Hosted by Over The Network